The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 26, 2001, 10:52 PM   #1
Nightcrawler

Who here loves the Thompson?

Granted, a submachine gun is of limited utility on the battlefield, but...

Who here has fired/owned/used a Thompson? How is it? Fun?
Old June 27, 2001, 12:38 AM   #2
PreserveFreedom

Haven't fired one yet, but I can still love them, can't I?

Old June 27, 2001, 04:10 AM   #3
BigG

I have fired the 1928 Thompson. It is a little bit like a Model A Ford or a Harley-Davidson with the suicide clutch: kinda nostalgic, does what it says it does, and has been superseded because people have found a better way.

It fires from an open bolt and the bolt weighs several pounds. There is quite a pulse from the heavy bolt reciprocating. Hope you get a chance to fire one!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 27, 2001, 07:34 AM   #4
SDC

A beautiful piece of equipment, and an absolute JOY to fire (if you don't need to worry about paying for .45 Auto). I've fired the M1928A1 (my favourite), and the M1.
Old June 27, 2001, 08:50 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I had the pleasure years ago of firing a Thompson. Don't recall which model though. The range I help out at is working on getting a Thompson for a rental subgun
Old June 27, 2001, 08:59 AM   #6
USGuns

Still manufactured

FYI - You can still buy a new one. Obviously not fully automatic and legal-length barrel, etc. but they're still manufactured by the new owner, Kahr Arms:
http://www.tommygun.com/
M1: http://www.tommygun.com/ao_m1_f.html
Old June 27, 2001, 11:50 AM   #7
MACMAN10

Thompsons rule!!I've shot a 1945 WWII thompson and loved every milisecond of it!!
Old June 27, 2001, 08:18 PM   #8
Rex Feral

I have run 6,000 rounds through 2 different M1A1 Thompsons.

My local rental range has MP-5s, UMPs, UZIs, MAC-10&11s, MP-40s, Stemples, La France .45 cal M-16s, M-60s, etc., etc. I always find myself going back to the Thompsons. It is an overweight, overbuilt marvel of 1920's technology, but the time I spent mastering it was the most fun I've ever had with a firearm.

The first time I fired one (at 10 yards, on a full sized silhouette) my burst started at center mass and ran up and to the right, with the fourth shot hitting the target hanger.

Now I keep 3 shot bursts in the head out to 20 yards. Demonstrating skill with a Thompson really seems to turn heads, especially among the old timers at the range. I have met many good people when a Tommy gun was in my hands!
Old June 28, 2001, 01:28 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

IMHO, the Thompson is probably the easiest SMG to shoot accurately, mainly because of its weight. With the comp, it is pretty easy to keep a 50 round drum in a pieplate at 10 yards.

The bolt mass moving forward can be noticed, but not like the M3 or the STEN. There are pictures of shooters leaning into the gun or adopting some exaggerated positions, but I never found that necessary, nor did I ever step on the sling, as some have recommended. With the drum, I think the gun weighs about 17 pounds, and it is not going anywhere shooting a pistol cartridge.

Jim
Old June 28, 2001, 02:32 PM   #10
Rex Feral

Jim Keenan-

That is odd, I have found the exact opposite is true. I'm no lightweight (5'11" 200lb) but, the stock drop on the Thompson is much greater than any other weapon I have fired, causing it to climb rapidly on full auto, particularly with the M1A1, as it only uses a stick mag and no compensator.

I have grown up with a .45 automatic pistol of some type in my hand, so I figured a heavy SMG firing the same round would be a piece of cake. I'll be the first to say, the rapid muzzle climb really caught me off guard! I learned to use an aggressive stance to control muzzle climb.
Old June 28, 2001, 08:04 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

I was talking about the 28A1 with a comp, but I have not had that much trouble with an M1A1. Most of the time I find that people shooting the Thompson tend to sort of back off from the firepower, not being used to it, and in doing so they pull the gun up. Remember the photo of the FBI guy firing one with the buttstock resting on his chin? I have also seen a guy rest the stock on his nose. They just don't recoil that much. The M3/M3A1 and STEN and similar guns tend to rock; the bolt slamming forward compensates for the recoil coming back. Maybe that's why they call it "rock and roll".

I never liked the new semi-auto Thompsons; without the benefits of API it takes two men and three small boys to cock them.

Jim
Old July 2, 2001, 08:33 PM   #12
RAThomas

I have gone to the Knob Creek Range for the last two years. The last two time there I got to fire the Thompson. I loved it. It can be controlled if you fire short bursts as it does have a tendency to climb. It is heavy, but not overly so. The recoil is not that bad. It seems as if you lean into the gun it is better. If the wife lets me I will attend Knob Creek again this October and fire it again.
Old July 2, 2001, 11:30 PM   #13
fed168

We have one the FBI gave our department right after WW II. It is a Colt, restamped to 1928 I believe. Comes complete with several 20 round stick mags and two 50 round drums. It is the neatest full auto weapon I have experienced, aside from the G36. Kinda heavy though, and the sights are too small. But I love it.
Old July 6, 2001, 07:19 AM   #14
JimFromFL

Count me in as a Thompson lover!!!!

The Thompson is an outstanding item. I have had a chance to shoot an M-16 and a Thompson and prefer the Thompson. The one I shot was a 28 A1 and it was more controllable than the M-16. Plus the holes made in the target much larger. There is nothing like loading up a 50 round drum and letting it fly!!!! OK, maybe loading a 100 round drum and letting it fly but one was not available.
Old July 9, 2001, 08:50 PM   #15
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Thompson? Heck Yeah! 50 round drum of .45ACP - whats not to like?