The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 16, 2017, 07:17 PM   #26
dgludwig

I get it now. When he said "extra barrel", I thought he was referencing some of the package deals where a repeating shotgun came with two barrels as a bonus. Years ago, I bought a Winchester Model 1300 12 gauge shotgun that came with a conventional barrel and screw-in chokes and a rifled deer slug barrel.
Old June 17, 2017, 04:15 PM   #27
Rob228

My dad swears by the Winchester 101, and he collects them (If anyone has any for sale, please PM me, he's up to 4 and is always looking for more) but they are notoriously harsh with recoil. He still loves them, and I managed to track one down for him that came with all four gauge barrels for a reasonable price.

My wife shoots a 20 gauge Beretta Silver Pigeon. It is not only a beautiful gun, but it will last long enough for our daughter to pass it on to her offspring. We spent about $1500 on it. I had a Citori for a bit, but to me it was too heavy and I just absolutely hated the boxy looking forend. The Beretta, in my mind has the most attractive lines of any of the doubles that you can get for under 5k.
Old June 17, 2017, 05:11 PM   #28
FITASC

The 101s have been reborn from FN now that they own the brand. If you are wanting older ones, you might try www.gunsinternational.com.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 17, 2017, 05:12 PM   #29
Rob228

Appreciate it.
Old June 18, 2017, 07:15 PM   #30
EnoughGUN

I have been looking for the same thing. I looked hard at the Franchi Instinct. It was very well made, felt great and was affordable. It isn't anything that will wow the old guys with their 20k guns but it is visually nice, well made and well under 2k.
Old June 21, 2017, 03:56 PM   #31
FITASC

Guys that own $20K guns do so because they like them, not because they don't like yours.

I know several folks who have shotguns that cost over $100K - and yes they will gladly let you look at, and shoot them. Price of the gun has nothing to do with the personality that owns it.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 21, 2017, 06:37 PM   #32
dgludwig

Though I still think buying a used quality shotgun over a new, cheaper shotgun is the best idea, I noticed today that Cabela's is selling Turkish-made (I presume), CZ-USA, "Teal" o/u shotguns, in either 12 or 20 gauge, with 28" vented barrels for $599.99. If you plan on using the gun for hunting and not running thousands of shells through it annually in trap/skeet endeavors, this CZ entry being offered at a pretty low price, might be something to seriously consider.
Old June 21, 2017, 06:39 PM   #33
FITASC

Quote:
Cabela's is selling Turkish-made (I presume), CZ-USA, "Teal" o/u shotguns
You presume correctly.
Old June 22, 2017, 04:54 PM   #34
rc

If you want a 20 guage, try a Sabatti. My buddy bought one from CDNN for $1000 and we shot it the other day. Wow, I was breaking clays very regularly on crossing shots. Very good swing and balance. Has single trigger, barrel selector, 5 screw in chokes and auto ejectors.