The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 23, 2008, 12:46 PM   #1
jbirdhaffield

Marlin XL7 rifle

Does anyone have any information of where to get one of these bad boys? I am looking specifically for the 25-06 in realtree hardwood camo. I can get them all in the black synthetic but would rather have the camo. Please help! Thanks so much.
Sincerely, JBird
Old May 23, 2008, 01:20 PM   #2
lg_mouth

No idea where to buy...

...but they are pretty much a Rem 700 under the Marlin name. Both are owned by the same parent company now.

Lg_mouth
Romans 10:9-10 Proverbs 27:17

Always bring your GPS. It is awkward when you have to eat your buddies!!!
Old May 23, 2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Inspector3711

Before we start calling the Marlin a co branded Remington product lets look at the fact that the rifle was designed and in production before Remington bought Marlin. The Marlin uses a barrel nut like Savage which gives them the same headspace control. Like the Savage rifles, this gives an edge for repeatability throughout a production run. It also tends to be a more economical process. Remington doesn't use barrel nuts at this time. The trigger group on the Marlin has a cast housing, the Remington housing is sheet metal. The Marlin has the bolt head pinned to the bolt like the Savage.

If you read up you will find that Marlin's approach was to bring together as many features as they could from other successful designs. They used more of the Savage style features than Remington (although they matched the Remington safety). I'm a big rem fan but i've been eyballing Savage for a .22-250 and I wish Marlin would chamber for that cartridge.

I keep reading posts that basically would lead you to believe that the Marlin is the same as a Remington 700. I just want to make sure that you guys realize that while it may be as accurate or even more accurate, if it was made like a 700 it wouldn't be as affordable.
Old June 25, 2008, 12:00 AM   #4
natman

Where can you find a 25-06 XL-7? I can find 270s and 30-06s OK, but no 25-06s.
Old June 25, 2008, 06:03 AM   #5
jmr40

The Marlin is nothing at all like a Remington. I have seen a few in shops but expect dealers to get a lot of them in the stores in August and September. A lot of the larger stores such as Bass Pro Shops get in truck loads of stuff and have big sales about a month or so before hunting season begins.
Old June 25, 2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Scorch

The Marlin XL7 is the Raptor rifle from a decade back. The company that made the Raptor was bought by Marlin 2-3 years ago. It is similar to both the Savage and Remington 700 in many ways, but is not the same as either. I have handled one rifle (I know, not enough to form a valid opinion) and the fit and finish seem to be on a par with Savage rifles, good but a bit rough. They are rumored to be very good shooters, but I have never fired one so that is just hearsay.
Old June 25, 2008, 12:03 PM   #7
jmr40

Scorch, are you sure about the connection to the Raptor rifle. I think the new Mossberg rifle is the same as the old Raptor. Not sure about the new Marlin but thought it was a new design that borrowed some ideas from the Savage.
Old June 25, 2008, 12:13 PM   #8
Davis

The Mossberg 100ATR is the updated Raptor, which was Charter Arms.

Davis
Old June 25, 2008, 02:11 PM   #9
Scorch

Quote:
The Mossberg 100ATR is the updated Raptor, which was Charter Arms.
DOH! You're right, now I feel like an ass.