The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2014, 11:15 PM   #1
Jms920

My Chrony 26 years later.

I bought a red F1 Shooting Chrony chronograph back in 1988, one year after the product first came out. 26 years later, the darn thing still works as good as it did the day I got it. I have replaced the shades a few times but aside from that, still all original. I can't believe this thing hasn't worn out.
Not everyone thinks as highly of these cheap chronos but mine has always given readings, very few errors, no real problems. Maybe I just lucked out and got a good one. I've been wanting to upgrade to a new Master model but not till this one gives up. Still waiting.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:46 PM   #2
Clark

For a while I thought that chronographs would only last a while because I shot 3 of them. Then I realized I only shot them with handguns. I switched to rifles only over my chrono, and the 4th chrono has lasted for many years.
And even later I learned that if I shot a group with a handgun before setting up the chrono, I could be sure that the chrono was outside the spray cone of my handgun marksmanship.

For a while I thought that the chronograph was only good for internet bragging, e.g. my 380 did 1187 fps 158 gr and my 223 did 4200 fps 33 gr, but then I started use it with quickload. I could compare the chrono to make sure I was operating Quickload correctly. I could use the companion software Quicktarget to make a trajectory chart for long range shots.
But since then I am mostly concerned that I operate Quickload in a way that all similar case heads fail at the same pressure. I am now working up my drop charts from actual long range shooting.

For a while I was buying Shooting Chrony machines for $80. They had an intermittent problem of failure to trigger. After I shot two of those I switched to ProChrono for $100 and they did not have that problem. Then I shot at 2500 feet in high desert with black sky straight up and it would not trigger. I turned the chrono sideways and shot between the chrono and a cardboard box. That made a shadow and it triggers at high altitude.

I tried making a close range set up for handguns, but the gas was getting over the opto sensors and giving erroneous readings. I put cardboard in the way of the gas, and had the chrono behind the target.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 21, 2014, 08:08 AM   #3
11B-101ABN

Good Idea! How many shots can you put through it before you have to change the cardboard?
Old May 21, 2014, 09:23 AM   #4
g.willikers

Me too.
I've had my Chrony about as long.
Even after being wounded a few times it's still working just fine.
Maybe it's really a Timex.
I make my own cardboard fronts and backs.
It's easy enough, but they aren't really necessary except to help keep from shooting the thing.
The opaque shades are still the originals, but I rarely bother with them,
preferring to do chrony work when it's bright overcast, instead.
No direct sun, just full light cloud cover.
The readings are the most reliable then.
An excellent value, for sure.
Works good for checking arrow speed, too.
Airguns, also, come to think.
Haven't tried my fast ball, though.
Oh, right, I don't actually have a fast ball.
Old May 21, 2014, 10:30 AM   #5
wogpotter

I'm still using my PACT model 1.

IIRC I got it in 1993 as a "bingo card prize" sweepstake from the old Shooting Times & its still just as accurate & reliable as the day I got it.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old May 21, 2014, 11:32 AM   #6
Clark

Quote:
11B-101ABN
Good Idea! How many shots can you put through it before you have to change the cardboard?
The cardboard full of holes still blocks the gas cloud, but of course I have to keep changing the target in front of that.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 21, 2014, 01:42 PM   #7
totaldla

I found that they live longer if I use them upside down "looking" at the white lid of a Tote container or sheet of butcher wrap. I use the bottom mount on my tripod. Less sensitive to sun position as well.

The Chrony design is getting a bit long int the tooth though - I don't think the New York owners shoot much.
Old May 21, 2014, 04:44 PM   #8
jepp2

Quote:
I found that they live longer if I use them upside down "looking" at the white lid of a Tote container or sheet of butcher wrap. I use the bottom mount on my tripod. Less sensitive to sun position as well.
I never even considered that orientation. Great idea. I have a Chrony and almost always shoot with a cobalt blue sky. The only time I ever had an issue with missing readings was early morning when the sun reflected off the bottom of the bullet canceling out the shadow. Only lasted for between 15 and 30 minutes, but I added a piece of Kydex to serve as a sun screen. Solved my problem.
Old June 25, 2017, 04:21 PM   #9
conquest87tsi

Shooting Chrony Model F (Pre F1)

I apologize for hijacking an old thread, but I am looking for a Shooting Chrony Historian. I just purchased a Shooting Chrony model F at an auction. It is green and the on/off switch is inside the case, not on the screen face. It also does not have holes for diffuser rods. It looks like there are slots provided to mount a shade of some sort. I checked Shooting Chrony's website and I cannot find anything about models before the F1. I am starting to wonder if this is an archery model. I already own a beta model, the Blue one anyway. I just couldn't pass this one up for $20.I would attach photos if I had any idea how. Please chime in if you know anything about this model, and whet I can aquire diffusers and accessories.
Old June 25, 2017, 07:52 PM   #10
Reloadron

My Chrony 26 years later.

Back around 1990 or 1992 my wife got me an Oehler 35P which to this day still serves me well. The rubber rollers in the built in little printer dried out and Oehler sent me a new print head assembly. I did wing one slat to a skyscreen so Oehler sent me a few spare sides and tops. I used glue and tape till I got the new slats.

Anyway that old Oehler 35P still works great today and continues to serve me well. I also still have the same wife.

Ron
Old June 25, 2017, 11:56 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

My Chrony is great. I like 'em so much, I'm on my third one

It's good to know that they can last 26 years; if you can keep the bullets over them, rather than into them.
Old June 26, 2017, 06:50 PM   #12
Mike / Tx

Quote:
I just purchased a Shooting Chrony model F at an auction. It is green and the on/off switch is inside the case, not on the screen face. It also does not have holes for diffuser rods. It looks like there are slots provided to mount a shade of some sort. I checked Shooting Chrony's website and I cannot find anything about models before the F1
That sounds like one that came out back in the early 80's when the red ones were out. Mine had cardboard screens that fit down into those slots. It folded around the front and the two sides had the tabs on them.

As for shooting through them, I still have the red one and it works fine. I usually set it up for my archery on a short stand in front of the target then set up the new blue Beta one right in front of the bow. That way I get a starting and at range velocity so I can compare different arrow weights for impact energy. Not a real important thing for Whitetails but it is real handy for the feral hogs we hunt also.
Old June 28, 2017, 12:35 PM   #13
Rifletom

I have the green Chrony, Master, I believe. 14 years now. I put a piece of Scotch tape over both "eyes" on the unit. That seems to help when lighting conditions vary. Other than a new battery now and then, it has worked well.
Old June 28, 2017, 12:51 PM   #14
hounddawg

Using an 8 year old Pro Chrono that has something rattling around inside from where it fell out of the SUV while unloading at the range. I turned it on and the screen worked so I figure what the heck and put some rounds over it and it gave me numbers. I plugged those numbers into a ballistics calculator and was shooting about 2 inches off on elevation at 800. Good enough for me, I figure if the average velocity is semmi accurate theSD's and ED's are also I use the bluetooth adapter and my tablet for remote control and as a data recorder. I think that was a 40 dollar upgrade

Only problem is it is a pain to set up in the physical sense compared to a magnet units and I will be upgrading some time in the future just for the convenience factor.
Old June 28, 2017, 07:29 PM   #15
conquest87tsi

Thanks Mike. I guess since the original shades were card board on this F model, I will rig up my own shades if I ever decide to use it. I have a Beta model that I use generally.
Old June 29, 2017, 05:00 PM   #16
Mike / Tx

Quote:
I guess since the original shades were card board on this F model, I will rig up my own shades if I ever decide to use it. I have a Beta model that I use generally.
If you want to make up a set pretty quick, I found that using a tall cereal box or one of the large flat rate shipping envelopes will work in a pinch, but the original ones were a just a little bit thicker. Just cut them out fold them accordingly and paint the front black so it doesn't interfere with your scope or sights with a glare. The hole you shoot through is about 6" tall and 4" wide. I put a white stripe in the center for handguns, and then one about 2" higher for scoped rifles. Just line up the cross hair on the line and your good not to shoot the thing.

Hope that helps.
Old June 29, 2017, 06:58 PM   #17
muzzleblast...

LOL. I bought mine about 1995. A couple of years ago, I was at the range with mine testing some handloads. Another guy set up a few benches down with his. We lined the units "back to back" and shot several rifles across them and compared results. The difference in readings between the two units was inconsequential.
Old July 2, 2017, 01:13 AM   #18
conquest87tsi

New Shades

I ended up making some shades and risers out of some old wooden window blinds. I then tried the Shooting Chrony Model F with a old Daisy pistol BB gun and could not get a reading. I'll have to try it again tomorrow.