The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2022, 05:25 AM   #1
Prof Young

Buying off the shelf . . . yikes!!!!!

Loaders:

The day has finally come. I'm down to my last few handfuls of primers and to have any kind of "supply" of ammo on hand I've been buying factory made ammo for about three times (or more) the cost per round of what I can reload.

How about you?

Dang.

Life is good . . . and pricey.

Prof Young
Old May 14, 2022, 05:43 AM   #2
reynolds357

I am finally finding primers again. I am buying quite a bit of ammo now, and I used to buy none. A friend of mine can get me 9mm 115 FMJ reman ammo for 22 per round. At new primer pricing, that's just a few cents more than I can reload them for. I do enjoy reloading rifle ammo, but I don't find any fun in loading handgun ammo. If my time is worth anything, it's cheaper to buy loaded 9 practice ammo. Pre pandemic, I turned out 9 at about 8 cents a piece if I had the brass. Not now.
Old May 14, 2022, 05:48 AM   #3
jetinteriorguy

In the calibers I load I have about 8000 rounds loaded and enough primers for another 6000. But, I have cut back a lot on my shooting while still loading. Being semi retired I have time to kill and love to just sit and reload.
Old May 14, 2022, 10:39 AM   #4
tangolima

There are ginex primers to be had for 9 cents each, all fees included. This is about 3x of the old price, and adds 5 cents to each loaded round. Not ideal, but quite ok short term.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 14, 2022, 08:11 PM   #5
L. Boscoe

Buying off the shelf yikes!!!

Sportsman's Warehouse has 5000 blocks for $600. About a 50%
premium, near as I can figure. Occasionally Powder valley,Natchez
Midway have primers, but you have to be on the sites within hours
(minutes?) of them listing, they go very fast. Those guys are a lot
cheaper. I hear Brownells was the same.

Good luck
Old May 15, 2022, 06:34 AM   #6
std7mag

Just beware the places that are advertizing large quantities and/or only take PayPal or Vemo payments!
People are still getting suckered by them.

I'm seeing powder starting to be available at some local shops. Primers are still being sold by the 100 pack. Limit 2. When they show up.
Some shops haven't seen a primer in over a year.
Even the distributor/wholesaler in my area is still having issues getting primers.
They are backlogged on primer orders by 18 months.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old May 15, 2022, 01:07 PM   #7
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Just beware the places that are advertizing large quantities and/or only take PayPal or Vemo payments!

People are still getting suckered by them.

I'm seeing powder starting to be available at some local shops. Primers are still being sold by the 100 pack. Limit 2. When they show up.

Some shops haven't seen a primer in over a year.

Even the distributor/wholesaler in my area is still having issues getting primers.

They are backlogged on primer orders by 18 months.
There are such scam outfits, and there are legit ones. The difficulty is most reloaders insist on brand name products, cci, Winchester etc. Those come with premium prices if they are available. But if you are ok with foreign brands, wolf and ginex, the availability and pricing opens up some. 9 cents a primer is the going price for those, fees & shipping included.

I picked about 5k wolf SRP at even lower price from a private party. Lower price it seems, but it is still 2x what they used to be.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 15, 2022, 03:18 PM   #8
ciwsguy

I’ve bought a lot of primers

At a local retail gun shop over the last 3 months. They literally had HUNDREDS of primer bricks for $89.99 per brick, no limit. I’ve bought 20 bricks or so over the last 3 months, CCI, Remington and Federal. Smokeless powder is what is short in this area.
Old May 15, 2022, 03:23 PM   #9
ciwsguy

2X price for primers has turned normal it seems. IMO, paying $90 per brick isn’t too bad considering the cost per round of factory premium ammo. Powder when you can find it averages about $45 per pound.