The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 1, 2022, 10:40 AM   #26
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzleBlast View Post
Glock newby here. I bought a bunch of plated 9mm bullets, and I recently bought a Glock 17 5th gen. I have been getting weird stoppages, and what I think might be happening is the Glock chamber step is shaving copper from the bullets enough to cause a jam. After ~100 rounds the copper forms a booger that eventually traps a round from chambering. The slide is very hard to retract when this happens.
Has anyone else seen this happen? Does it even sound like something that could happen?
Check for shaving when you are seating the bullet.
Old April 1, 2022, 03:03 PM   #27
L-2

I'm going to summarize my understanding after re-reading this thread, if for nothing else, to keep my thoughts straight.

The OP seems to be a longer-time member here and has some 20 years of posting experience on this forum. He does admit to being new-to-Glocks in this thread, however.

The OP said he's using 9mm plated bullets from: https://www.anatolianarms.com/
This is a company most of us have not heard of previously. Checking the website, the prices seem great, however.

He's apparently using self-loaded 9mm ammo, which has worked well for him in a Hi-Power, but, so far, not in this newly acquired Glock. He believes there's some kind of shaving or build-up occurring in the Glock's barrel, which is causing some failures to chamber.

So far, factory ammo was not mentioned to ever have been used by the OP.

I've read various posts from other folks on other forums over the years. I've read similar instances whereas a person's reloads aren't working well in a handgun, often a Glock, and as those reloads work well in another firearm, the conclusion of such person believes the Glock is somehow at fault.

Rather than change one's loading specs or use different or even brand-name factory ammo, it seems easier to blame a big-name company such as Glock. I admit, I must be a bit of a Glock-fan as these type of posts initially get my "ire" up.

I think most of us in this thread suspect or have concluded, even though we're not there with the OP's Glock and ammo, there's probably something about the ammo which is "off", and less-likely there being something "off" with the OP's Glock.

I wouldn't know if it'd be OK with the OP to reload his ammo differently or only use factory new ammo in that Glock or not. A different brand & model of new 9mm handgun may work 100% with the OP's ammo, but that might cost a bunch of time & money to search for the right handgun for the OP and his specific ammo.

I do like the OP's plan of buying some "factory" ammo and trying again. It's ok if the OP isn't "impressed" with Glock. There are likely many folks out there who either aren't impressed with Glock; just don't care for them; and in my case, I just get tired of them sometimes (even though I'm carrying one right now).

I'd actually like to hear more about the OP's Hi-Power, as I've never owned one and maybe only shot ~3 rounds through an old one. I've gotten in fairly deep with 1911s, but for some reason, just never bought into a Hi-Power. In retrospect, I would've liked buying into both the 9mm and the .40 versions back when they were in the LGSs new, but now they're gone/discontinued (I mean the FN/Browning ones). I suspect parts and repair are likely becoming difficult by now, too. There are other brands & models I've also not experienced too (Beretta and CZ come to mind).

Last edited by L-2; April 1, 2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old April 1, 2022, 03:08 PM   #28
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
I'm going to summarize my understanding after re-reading this thread, if for nothing else, to keep my thoughts straight.
The OP seems to be a longer-time member here and has some 20 years of posting experience on this forum. He does admit to being new-to-Glocks in this thread, however.

The OP said he's using 9mm plated bullets from: https://www.anatolianarms.com/
This is a company most of us have not heard of previously. Checking the website, the prices seem great, however.

He's apparently using self-loaded 9mm ammo, which has worked well for him in a Hi-Power, but, so far, not in this newly acquired Glock. He believes there's some kind of shaving or build-up occurring in the Glock's barrel, which is causing some failures to chamber.

So far, factory ammo was not mentioned to ever have been used by the OP.

I've read various posts from other folks on other forums over the years. I've read similar instances whereas a person's reloads aren't working well in a handgun, often a Glock, and as those reloads work well in another firearm, the conclusion of such person believes the Glock is somehow at fault.

Rather than change one's loading specs or use different or even brand-name factory ammo, it seems easier to blame a big-name company such as Glock. I admit, I must be a bit of a Glock-fan as these type of posts initially get my "ire" up.

I think most of us in this thread suspect or have concluded, even though we're not there with the OP's Glock and ammo, there's probably something about the ammo which is "off", and less-likely there being something "off" with the OP's Glock.

I wouldn't know if it'd be OK with the OP to reload his ammo differently or only use factory new ammo in that Glock or not. A different brand & model of new 9mm handgun may work 100% with the OP's ammo, but that might cost a bunch of time & money to search for the right handgun for the OP and his specific ammo.

I do like the OP's plan of buying some "factory" ammo and trying again. It's ok if the OP isn't "impressed" with Glock. There are likely many folks out there who either aren't impressed with Glock; just don't care for them; and in my case, I just get tired of them sometimes (even though I'm carrying one right now).

I'd actually like to hear more about the OP's Hi-Power, as I've never owned one and maybe only shot ~3 rounds through an old one.
Incorrect, we are clear on which ammo is being used, he stated it was the 9mm ammo from Anatoli Arms, we are just not sure which one specifically. We are not dealing with hand loaded ammo. They offer new production FMJ, and re-manufactured with "round nose" bullets which I am guessing are the plated but I am not 100% sure.
Old April 1, 2022, 03:16 PM   #29
L-2

Post 28,
I got caught editing my post, before it got quoted. I guess I'm not the only one reading this thread right now.
I suppose I assumed the OP is reloading his own as he first said he's using 9mm plated "bullets", then said where he got them. I do see that Anatolian company also makes loaded ammo, too. Thinking about it more, I realize some folks use the words "bullet(s)" and "ammo" interchangeable, but in my above post, I did take the OP's word that he got just the bullets, and I went on to assume he didn't buy fully loaded ammo, either reloaded or new brass versions. Then I went on to further assume, he reloaded his own ammo using these bullets. I may have erred.
Old April 1, 2022, 04:18 PM   #30
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
Post 28,
I got caught editing my post, before it got quoted. I guess I'm not the only one reading this thread right now.
I suppose I assumed the OP is reloading his own as he first said he's using 9mm plated "bullets", then said where he got them. I do see that Anatolian company also makes loaded ammo, too. Thinking about it more, I realize some folks use the words "bullet(s)" and "ammo" interchangeable, but in my above post, I did take the OP's word that he got just the bullets, and I went on to assume he didn't buy fully loaded ammo, either reloaded or new brass versions. Then I went on to further assume, he reloaded his own ammo using these bullets. I may have erred.

I was making the same assumption about the OP loading his own ammunition. It’s not clear to me that isn’t the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 1, 2022, 05:11 PM   #31
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I was making the same assumption about the OP loading his own ammunition. It’s not clear to me that isn’t the case.

After re-reading some posts you could be correct. Lets ask the OP. If it is reloaded ammo, this thread would be much better in the reloading section than semi-auto handgun. And I would be willing to bet its a loading issue of some sort if they are hand loaded.

Hey MuzzleBlast are you reloading your own ammo, or are you using loaded ammo from anatolian arms?
Old April 1, 2022, 05:59 PM   #32
JohnKSa
Staff

The G5 Glocks have a tighter chamber than previous generations. I took a class some time ago where everyone was using Glocks. The guy with the G5 Glock was having troubles with his malfunction drills, but not for the reason one might assume.

The dummy rounds were just slightly too big for the chamber in his gun. They worked in everyone else's but they would jam in his and keep the slide from fully closing.

NOW, that may partially explain the OP's issue, maybe a gun with a looser chamber would tolerate more buildup before the gun quit working. But it doesn't explain everything, because there shouldn't be enough buildup to cause the gun to quit working if the ammo and the gun were compatible.

I've shot more than 1000 rounds of factory ammo through pistols between cleanings and they generally just keep right on chugging along.

So I think there are two contributing factors:

1. The ammo and the gun are not compatible. Something is shaving the bullet (plating?) material and it is building up in the chamber.

2. The chamber is tighter than might be found in some guns and therefore it won't tolerate very much buildup before a round + the buildup is too much for it to handle and the slide jams closed.

If it were my gun, I'd just try some different ammunition.
Old April 1, 2022, 06:09 PM   #33
TunnelRat

Shooting Glock with plated bullets = jam?

I have two Gen 5 Glock 19s, MOS variants. I have 6,000 rd between then. Before them I had non-MOS variants with thousands of rounds through each. I have never had a failure to feed that I could trace to ammunition with any of the various manufacturers of factory ammunition that I have used or with the dummy rounds I’ve used (I generally use Tipton snap caps, though I have others that are plastic bullets seated in spent cases). Like John I have also gone more than 1,000 rd between cleanings.

This is not me saying such a failure can’t happen, it’s me saying in the examples I’ve owned despite having a tighter chamber I haven’t personally seen it result in an issue, nor have I seen an issue with others in the courses I’ve taken (and that has included some courses during the pandemic where folks were using cheap ammunition of somewhat dubious quality). Glocks have been, in my experience, more reliable when it comes to feeding than a number of pistols I have owned.

I understand the OP hasn’t had issues with the same ammunition in his Hi Power. I suggest he continue to use this ammunition in the Hi Power, and find other ammunition for the Glock.

Old April 5, 2022, 02:43 PM   #34
MuzzleBlast

Location: Arkansas. Much better place since Bill and Hillary went home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
After re-reading some posts you could be correct. Lets ask the OP. If it is reloaded ammo, this thread would be much better in the reloading section than semi-auto handgun. And I would be willing to bet its a loading issue of some sort if they are hand loaded.

Hey MuzzleBlast are you reloading your own ammo, or are you using loaded ammo from anatolian arms?
These are my own handloads. They are 115gr copper plated, in front of 4.7gr HP38.

Molwn labe!
Old April 5, 2022, 02:48 PM   #35
MuzzleBlast

Quote:
I'd actually like to hear more about the OP's Hi-Power, as I've never owned one and maybe only shot ~3 rounds through an old one.
Mine is an FEG clone I bought used back in 1996(?). Until a few years ago, it happily ate anything I fed it. But I suspect it is getting worn by now, because it started having random nosedive stoppages regardless of the ammo or magazine. Replacing the extractor helped, but the nosedives still happen on occasion.

Molwn labe!
Old April 5, 2022, 03:59 PM   #36
Shadow9mm

Quote:
These are my own handloads. They are 115gr copper plated, in front of 4.7gr HP38.
Are you flaring your case mouths before loading? You could be shaving the plating. I find I have to flare with cast and plated bullets.
Old April 5, 2022, 04:33 PM   #37
wild cat mccane

To clarify for my own knowledge, almost all "FMJ" bullets are truly just copper plated as not many or any FMJ copper jackets are cup/pour created rounds?

It's not like a lead is poured into a cup of copper. It's the lead is swaged into a mold and plated, yes?

If so, it isn't the "plated" that is the problem alone?
Old April 5, 2022, 05:41 PM   #38
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
To clarify for my own knowledge, almost all "FMJ" bullets are truly just copper plated as not many or any FMJ copper jackets are cup/pour created rounds?

It's not like a lead is poured into a cup of copper. It's the lead is swaged into a mold and plated, yes?

I don't know. I have no idea why everyone on here is talking about fmj pistol bullets being plated. I have yet to see any "FMJ" pistol bullets that were plated and not jacketed.
Old April 5, 2022, 06:53 PM   #39
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post

what are traditionally considered to be "FMJ" bullets are in fact swaged jackets with swaged cores pressed in. generally with the lead exposed in the base.

Whereas plated bullets are a swaged core that has a copper plating put on.

jacketed bullets generally have thicker copper, and harder copper, due to the copper being work hardened as it is swaged.

plated bullets generally have a much thinner jacket and the copper is softer due to not being work hardened.
Old April 6, 2022, 04:04 PM   #40
Katsumi Liquer

Quote:
What OAL are you loading them to? If it's too short, the cartridge might be entering the chamber at an excessively steep angle and scraping the plating.

I've shot thousands upon thousands of Berry's and Rainier (when they were still around) 115 gr. plated RN projectiles through my Gen3 G34 with no copper shaving issues. The cartridges are loaded to an OAL of 1.155".
Old April 6, 2022, 06:05 PM   #41
jetinteriorguy

Are you seating and crimping in one step? If so this could be the problem since the bullet is continuing seating as the crimp is applied possibly scraping the copper plating loose. Try seating and crimping in separate steps if this is the case.
Old April 6, 2022, 10:20 PM   #42
L-2

My understanding of this thread's updates.
With further, and probably important info from the OP, the ammo is indeed "reloaded" or otherwise loaded by the OP, himself.

Also, whether the ammo works well in a Hi-Power ("HP" for short; a FEG Hi-Power, btw, not an FN/Browning) seems to me to be inaccurate, as the OP further clarified the HP hasn't been feeding 100% lately with "nosedives" for an unknown reason.

My opinion is, and the OP isn't the only one to have done this, the comments regarding Glock being picky about ammo feeding and the OP being unimpressed, is mostly showing the OP's frustration and disappointment with the entire situation.

I don't know what the OP paid for this new Glock, but whatever it cost, it was probably some multiple of hundreds of dollars. I totally understand the disappointment and hurt when I've spent hundreds (sometimes, for me, thousands) of dollars and then whatever I've bought isn't working 100%.

I also get somewhat butt-hurt when I hear someone (unfairly) talking badly about Glock, as it's one of my favorite brands. To repeat something I said earlier, some folks get really attached to their particular self-loaded ammo (I hesitate to use the word "reload" as to me, this implies some component, usually the casing, was previously used/loaded). In these instances, when the ammo doesn't work in a new gun, the person often blames the new gun instead of merely trying brand-name-factory FMJ ammo. I'm not an ammo (re)loader and I've never had that emotional attachment to ammo. As a long-time Glock owner/shooter/user (almost 30 years with Glocks now) I have the opposite feelings of, if the Glock and ammo aren't working, I'd initially suspect the ammo. I actually don't know how many Glocks I've had; maybe 20 over the years, and I've just bought another today.

OK, carry on everyone, although this has turned more into an ammunition reloading thread, but we've still not even seen pics of the ammo or this (alleged) plating/lead build-up in the barrel.
Old April 7, 2022, 01:30 PM   #43
MuzzleBlast

Quote:
What OAL are you loading them to? If it's too short, the cartridge might be entering the chamber at an excessively steep angle and scraping the plating.
I'll have another look at that, thanks.

Molwn labe!
Old April 7, 2022, 01:33 PM   #44
MuzzleBlast

Quote:
I also get somewhat butt-hurt when I hear someone (unfairly) talking badly about Glock, as it's one of my favorite brands.
Understandable. My initial feelings were akin to betrayal, like I had been duped. Glock is supposed to equal perfection. That is one reason why I bought it, it was supposed to be one thing I could completely depend on to go BANG with each and every trigger pull, regardless.

Molwn labe!
Old April 7, 2022, 03:05 PM   #45
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Understandable. My initial feelings were akin to betrayal, like I had been duped. Glock is supposed to equal perfection. That is one reason why I bought it, it was supposed to be one thing I could completely depend on to go BANG with each and every trigger pull, regardless.
I suggest you get a EGW cartridge gauge, or a gauge of your choosing. I run all my hand loads through, since my ammo is shot through a couple guns to make sure it will feed and function reliably. Ammo set up for one gun, may or may not work in another. One that is set up on a gauge should work in any gun. https://www.egwguns.com/case-gauge-a...er-9-mm-7-hole
Old April 7, 2022, 03:38 PM   #46
Jim Watson

Gauges are good, my present 9mm cartridge gauge is a Lyman because Wilson was out of stock. I have one of those EGW 4 caliber gauges and it is tighter than either Lyman, Wilson, or Dillon. I think tighter than necessary, I have had rounds fail EGW, pass Lyman, plunk in a gun barrel and shoot normally.

The cheap way is to take the barrel out of the gun, clean it, and "plunk" cartridges in the chamber they will be shot from.

See Post #9, pull some bullets and look for damage to plating.
Old April 7, 2022, 06:43 PM   #47
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Gauges are good, my present 9mm cartridge gauge is a Lyman because Wilson was out of stock. I have one of those EGW 4 caliber gauges and it is tighter than either Lyman, Wilson, or Dillon. I think tighter than necessary, I have had rounds fail EGW, pass Lyman, plunk in a gun barrel and shoot normally.

The cheap way is to take the barrel out of the gun, clean it, and "plunk" cartridges in the chamber they will be shot from.

True, a plunk test will work, but when using the ammo in multiple guns, it makes things a bit more complicated. I agree the EGW is a touch tighter, but seeing as my 9mm ammo goes through several guns, I prefer that tighter spec to ensure reliability. Also I have the 50 cartridge gauge from EGW because I check EVERY round that comes off my progressive. But any of the big names should do just fine.
Old April 9, 2022, 07:10 AM   #48
jetinteriorguy

I also shoot my hand loads through multiple guns, but I know which one has the tightest chamber and is the most finicky and that’s the one I use for a plunk test. I also take it a step further and set my OAL in the one with the shortest throat, then load up five dummies and cycle them through all my semi’s to be sure they will cycle reliably. I then set one dummy aside and mark it with the specific bullet used for setting my seating die in the future with this particular bullet. At this point I start working up my loads being mindful of avoiding a compressed load.
Old April 9, 2022, 07:39 AM   #49
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

I swapped to Lee crimp die. It full body sizes the case as it crimps. Assuming I have seat depth right, of it goes through that crimp die, it will fit a SAAMI chamber.
Old April 25, 2022, 11:05 AM   #50
MuzzleBlast

Update: I was able to get to the range with 150 rnds FMJ and 100 plated. The FMJ's are still reloads, because I refuse to pay .50 a pop for 9mm. I checked all of them using the "plunk" test, and found a couple that did not chamber completely. All happily fed, chambered, fired, extracted and ejected.

Conclusions: Gotta check 'em all if you are reloading. In my defense, it has been well over a decade since I have felt the need to reload 9mm. It has just been too cheap to make reloading worth it.

I owe an apology to any Glock faithful I may have irritated.

Molwn labe!