The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 16, 2022, 11:31 PM   #1
The 45 Dude

Lifespan of a Desert Eagle

Specifically the slide or frame how long would a Desert Eagle last? From 357 to 50ae how tough is it?
Old January 16, 2022, 11:40 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

I don't recall ever hearing of someone wearing one out and can't find any information on the topic of predicted service life.

My thought is that if you can afford the ammo and range fees to wear one out, the cost of a new gun probably won't be a blip on your radar.
Old January 17, 2022, 12:38 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

You might talk to the people who make them. See if they have an idea.

If you buy the ammo, I'd be willing to try... (if you're also willing to compensate me for my time, costs, and any medical bills...)
Old January 17, 2022, 08:58 AM   #4
lunger

You have a few threads asking about lifespan of handguns. In 45 or so years of shooting them I have yet to wear one out.

If you have the time and money for ammo to wear one out , consider your self lucky and get it repaired or replaced.

Buy what you like and enjoy it. Our life is usually shorter than our firearms life.
Old January 17, 2022, 11:10 AM   #5
reddog81

21,352 +/- a dozen or so rounds.
Old January 17, 2022, 01:56 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Couple of decades back, back when ammo was about 1/3 the cost it is today (or LESS!) one of the big name speed shooters of the day was interviewed, and he said he "wore out" 2 or three 1911s each year in practice.

Asked how much he shot a year, he said about 80,000.

The interviewer asked, "80,000 rounds?" and he replied, "No, not rounds, Dollars!"

You can screw up a Desert Eagle shooting the wrong ammo. I imagine you could "wear one out" but I'd expect the cost of ammo needed would pay for a new car... and then some.
Old January 17, 2022, 02:25 PM   #7
Logs

I had one in 44 Remington Magnum for years and "Maybe" fired 300 rounds through it. I don't think many folks can wear one out.
Old January 17, 2022, 04:06 PM   #8
101combatvet

Probably a long time if it's a .50 AE. It's a novelty handgun that few can control. I haven't seen one at the range in over twenty years, so I suspect that most are collecting dust.
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor [8 Courses]
Old January 17, 2022, 06:55 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Have a .357 and a .44 Magnum. Passed on the .50, never had a reason or want to tool up for yet another caliber.

My guns are the originals. now called Mark I, the .357 dates from the mid 80s and I bought the .44 new in Feb 90.

If you can manage the size of the grip and the 4lb+ weight of the piece they are actually quite accurate and recoil is surprisingly mild. Full house .44 mag feels like a snappy .45acp and recoil of the .357 is more blast than anything else. With a bit of practice its amazingly easy and fast to shoot and be on target. OR at least it is for me.
Old January 17, 2022, 08:11 PM   #10
Super Sneaky Steve

Shooting 50AE you'll probably run out of money before you wear the thing out. It's not cheap to keep it running.
Old January 17, 2022, 08:45 PM   #11
44caliberkid

I have a Mark I in 44 Magnum. I’m just guessing but probably has 500+ rounds through it, completely trouble free. The manual is very detailed about cleaning and service intervals, and they do recommend changing the recoil springs at 3000 rounds or every two to three years. My pistol is 30+ years old and I’ve never replaced the springs.
Old January 17, 2022, 09:33 PM   #12
wild cat mccane

Correct me if wrong, but a clog gas port would crack the frame?

Not specific to longevity though as this could happen at any round number. But you did ask about the frame.
Old January 18, 2022, 01:44 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Correct me if wrong, but a clog gas port would crack the frame?
I don't see how that could happen. The gas port is in the barrel just ahead of the chamber, if it gets clogged, no gas will enter the system, so all will just stay in the barrel.

I suppose you could calculate and find a difference in total gas pressure against the bolt as the bullet moves down the barrel if no gas is going into the gas system, but I seriously doubt it will be anything significant to the massively overbuilt Desert Eagle.

Unlike recoil operated guns, there is no movement of the barrel and slide on the frame when locked together. There is no "moving mass" of barrel & slide on the frame that could be accelerated by higher than normal pressure resulting in greater recoil force and moving parts slamming into the frame harder.

I have a couple of gas operated guns where the gas system can be turned off. This does not result in any noticable increase in anything other than felt recoil changing slightly due to the mass of moving parts not moving.
Old January 18, 2022, 02:10 PM   #14
RUT

Who could afford to wear one out in these times?
Old January 18, 2022, 05:51 PM   #15
wild cat mccane

...didn't you say in this thread it was possible?

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=499674
Old January 18, 2022, 07:36 PM   #16
laytonj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
...didn't you say in this thread it was possible?

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=499674
I just read the link and nowhere did he say that. The only thing a plugged gas system will do is turn your gun into a single shot.

Jim
Old January 18, 2022, 09:36 PM   #17
wild cat mccane

Plugged port though, no?

I think it is or was on Kahr's Desert Eagle website that the gas ports cannot be cleaned and can lead to frame damage.

Someone asked. I'm recalling it can happen, but offered I could be wrong.
Old January 18, 2022, 09:38 PM   #18
wild cat mccane

I was right.

Magnum Research says it right here:
https://www.magnumresearch.com/PDF/DE-Rec-Ammo-List.pdf
Old January 18, 2022, 10:13 PM   #19
laytonj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
I was right.

Magnum Research says it right here:
https://www.magnumresearch.com/PDF/DE-Rec-Ammo-List.pdf
No, you’re not…
It says a plugged gas system will require the replacement of the barrel. Not because the barrel is damaged but because the gas port is plugged and cannot be fixed.

Jim
Old January 18, 2022, 10:29 PM   #20
wild cat mccane

I feel no worse for being the only one that brought something to the question on durability

As I said, I was open to being corrected. It isn't the frame. It is stated by Magnum Research as the barrel or slide.

To "you can't afford to wear one out." If you shoot non recommended loads from MR, sounds easy.
Old January 18, 2022, 11:25 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
It is stated by Magnum Research as the barrel or slide.
It's not the barrel or slide, it's the barrel.

Just the barrel assy. It is an assembly, but one that once made, does not come apart. And that's why it can't be cleaned the way other gas systems can be. You would literally have to cut it apart to get access, and then you'd have to weld it back together AND get it in spec, Cheaper and easiter to just replace it.

There are four (4) right angle turns in the gas path, its not something you can really clean.

I know of a guy who did not follow DE's recomendations. He shot lead bullets in his. It did plug. NO idea how many rounds were fired, but not a lot, couple boxes or so, I think. He took it to our local smith. (A real old time smith with decades of skill and experience) He couldn't clear it.

Gun wound up going back to Desert Eagle. When the gun came back, it had a new barrel, and a bill for the new barrel as well. (nearly half the cost of the gun!)

Replacing a plugged barrel because YOU ignored the rules and shot lead bullets is NOT covered warranty repair work.

Can't tell you how many rounds it will take to wear out a DE, but I can tell you that you can BREAK ONE with a small number of the wrong kind of rounds. Jacketed bullets only, and only jacketed bullets with no exposed lead at the base. And loads need to be pretty much "full house" or the gun won't cycle. Its NOT ADJUSTABLE!!
Old January 19, 2022, 09:23 AM   #22
wild cat mccane

MR says the non recommended ammo will solder into the holes and have to be replaced. https://www.magnumresearch.com/faq-de/

So a bit off topic if you follow their ammo guidelines. Probably.

I still am seeing "cracked" threads, even on this forum, about the desert eagle. I have since learned it isn't related to clogged gas ports. Thanks
Old January 21, 2022, 07:46 AM   #23
Classic12

Lifespan of a Desert Eagle

Mine broke

I bought an early one back in 1989, brand new, .44 magnum, similar to this one, IMI made in Israel, no US markings. Love at first sight.

The slide broke where the piston pushes it.

Had it replaced and sold it. Before that it was very unreliable, at least one failure per mag, despite trying every commercial load I could find, then rolling my own with different bullets (always jacketed) and powder charges.

Probably my worst gun memory.