The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 14, 2022, 08:00 AM   #1
TJB101

Goldenrod - Best drill hole location

Adding a Goldenrod to the safe this weekend. Will be nice to get rid of those desiccant canisters.

Question: best location to drill safe for wire? Top of safe, side of safe (top or bottom?) …. I don’t have the install documents which may outline this better so looking for personal experience from the masses.

Thanks, Tim
Old January 14, 2022, 09:01 AM   #2
zoomie

My safe had a predrilled hole a couple inches off the ground in the middle of the back panel. I ran my power cord through that. Lower makes sense for the goldenrod because it works via heat.
Old January 14, 2022, 10:09 AM   #3
101combatvet

My Liberty safe was pre-drilled on the bottom right side.
Old January 14, 2022, 10:14 AM   #4
FITASC

My Liberty had a power outlet installed on the lower right for plugs as well as USBs. My goldenrod sits in front of the door; I also use 3 desiccant boxes as humidity is typically 90% all the time
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 14, 2022, 12:24 PM   #5
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
My Liberty had a power outlet installed on the lower right for plugs as well as USBs. My goldenrod sits in front of the door; I also use 3 desiccant boxes as humidity is typically 90% all the time
I added a power strip to mine. I have two goldenrods top and bottom, just in case one fails.
Old January 14, 2022, 12:28 PM   #6
TJB101

Good feedback… thanks. No predrilled hole in my safe so I’ll need to drill a hole. Probably bottom left side
Old January 17, 2022, 11:43 AM   #7
Reloadron

Quote:
Good feedback… thanks. No predrilled hole in my safe so I’ll need to drill a hole. Probably bottom left side
I believe your answer lies in how your safe is situated. My safe is 1500 pounds empty and lagged to a concrete floor. The back is against a wall as is the right side facing the safe. The only place I can drill a hole is left side. So location determines what would work.

Winters where I am are dry so no problem. Summers I just use desiccant and during an entire season I may need to bake it out once. I also like to monitor the safe internal humidity and temperature every now and then.

You just need to find what works for you.

Ron
Old January 17, 2022, 11:57 AM   #8
hub1home

I've had a golden rod in for over 30 years. I put it in on the bottom left, long gun section, about three inches from the bottom. It's been working fine there.