The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 16, 2018, 11:31 PM   #1
MrBot

Stock Shield Sights Choices

I may very well pick up a Shield Version 1 for edc. It can be had with white 3-dot night sights, Tritium night sights or Hi-viz sights. My eyes are not the best. What are your thoughts on the good, the bad & the ugly on each of these?
Old April 17, 2018, 01:52 AM   #2
Mackie244Bud

I have the Original Shield 9mm with Tritium Night Sights. (MSRP: $549.00)
SKU 10086
http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms...m-night-sights

The new 2.0 version with Tritium Night Sights: (MSRP: $579.00)
SKU 11810
http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms...m-night-sights

I do not have a problem seeing the sights during the day or at the range.
At night they glow bright green.

I have slept with my Shield (single - no kids - King-bed in corner next to wall)
in bed next to me by a wall.
Pitch black and those 3 dots just glow bright green.
Easy to grab aim and shoot.

The MSRP between the original Shield and the 2.0 is $30.00.
Real world at GunBroker:
https://www.gunbroker.com/Pistols/BI...ocard-Firearms
if you think GunBroker as real world puts the 2.0 $60 to $70 more than version 1
I'd seriously think about getting the 2.0.
It's just the Latest & Greatest.
Besides the visual changes it's "Supposed" to have a better trigger.

That's my 2c

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; April 17, 2018 at 02:31 AM.
Old April 17, 2018, 02:10 AM   #3
railroader

I have shield 1.0 with the dot sights. I also have lousy eye sight but the dots on my shield are large and easy to see. I was surprised for a compact carry gun.
Old April 17, 2018, 01:42 PM   #4
scsov509

Get the standard 3 dots and then swap them yourself if you don’t like ‘em. For the price difference you’d pay for the Hi-Viz or factory night sights, there are better options out there. Personally, on my carry handguns I’ve gone to a blacked out rear and a fiber optic or similarly bright front. My favorite setup right now is the Ameriglo Hackathorn where you’ve got an orange front with a tritium insert against a blacked out rear. I find it’s a super fast sight picture for me that is exceptionally accurate. The Trijicon HD on a black rear or even a 3 dot if you like that setup is also a very nice sight for aging eyes.

Point being, regardless of what you prefer personally, your best route is to buy the less expensive 3 dot and then spend the extra dollars on a sight you really like rather than spending the extra money on a factory sight you might only marginally like.
Old April 17, 2018, 05:09 PM   #5
jmhyer

^^
Good advice, provided that you are comfortable exchanging sights yourself. Otherwise, that may not be true because you have to factor in the cost of having someone do it for you.

Personally, I have become a big fan of fiberoptic sights. While I also like tritium, and they are indeed visible in pitch black, you still need enough ambient light to see your target. I have found that fiberoptic sights are much more visible during daylight than white dots or tritium dots, while also capturing sufficient low level ambient light to be plenty visible in darker situations. I prefer yellow or orange and also like contrasting colors between front and rear sights...such as yellow front and orange rear...or yellow or orange front and green rear.
Old April 17, 2018, 06:48 PM   #6
HighValleyRanch

I lucked out on being to change out my own sights, but there are horror stories of people trying to remove the rear sight.
Old April 17, 2018, 07:18 PM   #7
Rangerrich99

Someone makes fiber optic plus tritium sights. I think it's Meprolight; you might check them out.

I have put Ameriglo I-Dots on all of my M&Ps, as I have found that the two dots vertically aligned is just easier and faster for me to use than three-dots. YMMV. They are quite bright in low/no light, and the bright orange circle around the front sight dot makes acquisition in daylight almost as easy as fiber optic sights. Again, YMMV.

Good luck in your search.
Old April 17, 2018, 08:43 PM   #8
TunnelRat

TruGlo makes the combo sights.

I do really like fiber optic sights. They are great in daylight and dusk. I do find there are situations where I can identify the target but the fiber optics have no glow, primarily parking lots.

I also really like the Ameriglo i-Dots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old April 18, 2018, 12:36 AM   #9
MrBot

Great input. This sight issue may very well end up being the biggest issue of all. I've studied more cc hg reviews than most folks would imagine & have to date at least arrived at the conclusion that the Shield should make a great edc. But then I got to reading that in most sd shootings you may not even use the sights or if you do you may only use the front one. Since that's what I want my set up to be I'm gonna have to study the problem a bit more. Lots of guys out there saying blackened rear sights are the way to go--give your eyes less to do. I kinda like that idea. But I've not been into hgs long so about everything I hear is new to me, meaning I change my mind a lot. But that's ok as long as I don't get too confused!
Old April 18, 2018, 07:54 AM   #10
TunnelRat

Like a lot of things when it comes to firearms there isn't necessarily one answer. You'll find that what you may like isn't always the same as what someone else likes. Luckily sights aren't super expensive so you have the option of changing them out and seeing what you like. It doesn't have to be a permanent decision.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old April 18, 2018, 09:28 PM   #11
MrBot

Mackie244Bud, Yes, deciding between Version 1 & 2.0 is a tough one. I've just heard the 2.0 tends to grab clothes. But some are saying it can be reduced or maybe even eliminated by sanding the grip. I'm gonna take my time on this call--hopefully can get both in my hands soon--and check out the triggers 1sthand. If I figure I can refinish the 2.0 grip to make it comfortable--it'll be against bare skin--and not grab my t-shirt, then I may go with it.
Old April 18, 2018, 11:20 PM   #12
Ibmikey

If the pistol is for daytime shooting predominately as mine is , Truglo Hi Viz fiber optic sights are really nice. Some are also designed to include night sights which I did not feel a need for having several other pistols so equipped.
Old April 19, 2018, 09:31 PM   #13
Mackie244Bud

Mr. Bot says,
Quote:
I've just heard the 2.0 tends to grab clothes. But some are saying it can be reduced or maybe even eliminated by sanding the grip.
I have Rubber Talon Grips on my Shield and if I had the 2.0 I would probably put Talon Grips on it too.
I just like the feel of the Talon Grip.
So this makes any clothes drag Moot though I had not heard of that complaint.
I would not grind on a new gun.
Go hold each of the guns and feel for yourself.

When you go to hold the Shields if they have it hold the new Sig Sauer P365.
10 + 1 and 12+1 in a size of the Shield and Glock 43.
The Sig P365 is what I'm looking at to possibly replace my Shield.

Some Pics of mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shield Talon Grip 1.jpg (92.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Shield in Aegis Armory Hybrid Holster.jpg (90.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Shield Tritium Night Sights.jpg (68.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; April 19, 2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old May 9, 2018, 07:19 PM   #14
MrBot

Mackie244Bud, That new Sig may 1 day become 1 of the more popular cc guns going. But you're gonna have to get used to a smaller grip that I think could create problems. If I could hold out another 6 months at least to see what its track record is gonna be I might consider it, but right now I figure the Shield Original with the least expensive sights may be the way I go. Bigger grip; proven reliability; on and on; ..just plain think I gotta have it. Get it; get used to it; study the heck outta after-market sights; maybe buy a set--plenty of You Tube vids on how to install them; put 'em on myself (hopefully). ..could be a heck of a fun project.