The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 13, 2018, 06:53 PM   #26
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
I almost bought a Regulation Police 32 a week or so ago, but changed my mind at the last minute. I realized I really didn't want another cartridge to reload for. I told myself at first I'd just shoot factory ammo, but I know me enough to know that I'd save the brass. As soon as I had 100 pieces or so, I'd get to thinking..."I should get a set of dies...."

So I passed.

But if YOU want to get one, I'm all for it. Let us know how it shoots.
I know what you mean, I've all but said no to .38 S&W chambered revolvers because while I'd like to reload for it, I don't have the time to get into reloading another cartridge that's effectively obsolete today.

Not the case with the .32 family of cartridges. They're worth reloading for in my estimation.
Old April 13, 2018, 10:42 PM   #27
TfflHndn

I have a Police Positive Special and really like it. Great little shooter. I also have .32s and reload for them. I frequently shoot a Single Seven using .32 SWL or .32 H&R Magnum ammo that I reload for less than 10 cents a round. Just the low cost of shooting makes it fun, but it's very accurate and you can shoot it all day comfortably. I use .32 ammo frequently when teaching new shooters also, especially when they're recoil sensitive or nervous about handling guns. Lots of reasons to like a Police Positive in .32, especially if you reload for it.
Old April 16, 2018, 01:29 PM   #28
ViperR

I'd love to get one of these petite Colt's in 32 S&W L. I found a great round by Fiocchi in FMJ that shoots clean and is pretty snappy. High velocity and FP of E that is high with a 97 gr slug. The Europeans still love their 32 calibers (7.65mm/32ACP) and always made their ammo hotter than the US.
Anywhere from $18.99 to $20.99 for 50 here in the US and can save your brass for reloads. Been shooting these and gathering the cases.
Been using these in a Charter Arms and just love the old classic 32's that will be my next find.
Remember the original "Death Wish" movie? He was given a Colt Police Positive in 32 as a gift that he used in NYC.

Last edited by ViperR; April 16, 2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old April 17, 2018, 12:44 PM   #29
ThomasT

You mentioned dies to reload. The dies for a 32ACP and the 32 long are not the same. And you don't have to shoot Buffalo Bore power loads. A 94gr lead bullet and around 2.5grs of bullseye is a good load. My 32 longs are loaded a little hotter than factory stuff because my guns are made in the 1970s and newer. I am getting around 850fps with a 94gr bullet. If you are after more power then just buy a 38 special. And just keep in mind that if you buy this 32 long it WILL lead to more 32 caliber guns.
Old April 23, 2018, 04:31 AM   #30
thibaultfelix40

I have a 32 new police, police positive. It was made in the late 20's after colt started heat treating them. Be careful about using data published for this cartridge. The first batch I loaded turned out to be a gross overload using the reccommended starting load! Theere is a thread on the Castboolits forum that has been running for years that discusses the 32SWL as a manstopper. I used to load mine at 1135 fps with the Hornady semiwadcutter. I used 3 boxes of 500 bullets before I came to my senses and quit doing that. I may never get get all the lead out. I don't trust the published data for 32s of any type. The current manual issuers seem not to either because they only publish wimpy loads now. All this being said, I still love 32s.
Old May 3, 2018, 03:58 AM   #31
Jazzgun

Did you get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post

I love those old Police Positives. I like the dimunitive size, the classic turn of the century look (no not 2000 turn of century!LOL) and the Colt name.

I found a nice example for affordable price, but why on earth do I need it?

I would have to get .32 dies (not so bad as I need to reload for my .32 seecamp),
a bunch of .32 long brass, and reload.

Once I do all that, then I could justify getting a Walther GSP in .32 sw long as well. Now you see how expensive this cheap purchase can get!

Still there is a part of me seeing me carrying that old Colt around the ranch everyday, going down to the field and plinking a few shots every now and then!
What more appropriate sidearm to wear when I mucking the stalls or grooming my Mammoth Jack?

I gave up my Colt Op because the barrel was too long to comfortably wear all day doing chores. Now I miss it. If it had been 4", I never would have sold it.
We have a Colt New Police .32 dated July 5, 1905. It was Robert's grandfather's gun and we don't really know much about it's history other than that. It's in good shooting condition but the finish, which was originally nickel plated, has worn off in places. It has the same grips as the ones in your pic and a 4" barrel. For some reason when it was passed down it was in a Colt Official Police .38 box. There are two boxes of cartridges with it and a leather holster, that looks like it had a lot of wear but still in good shape.

The cartridges are one box of .32 short Colt and one box of .32 S & W. (Made by Remington) The bullets in the Remington box are mixed in with some longs and shorts and some .38s. So at one time he must have had a .38 as well. He might have even been in law enforcement. This was the official gun of the NYPD.

It's so interesting that I found your thread on it because we just had it out last night playing with it and having fun reminiscing about our younger days when we had similar looking revolvers (mine was a Colt .22) and cap guns that looked pretty much the same. Holsters too.

I like the one you found a lot. Has a nice patina on it. It's too bad the one we have doesn't have a better finish. I'll post a pic when I can. We still like it a lot. I love a .32.
Old May 3, 2018, 04:36 AM   #32
Jazzgun

Took a pic of it in the box just for you. It's in such bad shape I almost didn't post it but I thought you would enjoy seeing it so here it is. We are going to fire it this weekend or next. We want to give it a thorough cleaning first even though it seems smooth enough. It's missing the ejector rod head but I think I can find one of those.

It reminds me of the Colt .22 I had when I was a kid. I grew up on a ranch in Texas. Great times!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colt New Police .32 in box w ammo and holter.jpg (122.4 KB, 556 views)
Old May 4, 2018, 08:57 AM   #33
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I believe what you have there is a New Pocket Model, not a New Police.

The New Police had a slightly longer grip frame.

You have pictured two different boxes of ammo, one 32 Short Colt and one 32 S&W. Your revolver will only properly chamber one of those rounds, not both. The shell case of the 32 S&W is a bit larger in diameter than the shell case of the 32 Short Colt. The 32 Short Colt used a heeled bullet and the bullet was the same diameter as the case. The S&W round used an inside lubed bullet that fit inside the case like most modern cartridges. If chambered for 32 Short Colt it will not accept the 32 S&W round. If chambered for 32 S&W the 32 Short Colt will rattle around in the chamber.

At some point after Serial Number 130,000 the internal mechanism of this revolver was changed to the Positive Lock mechanism, patented in 1905. At some point all the old New Pocket frames were used up, and on the newer frame the trigger guard blended smoothly into the frame.

Like this one, which is chambered for 32 Short Colt.

Old May 4, 2018, 09:11 AM   #34
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
The seller wrote back:
"barrel marking: Police Positive - 32 Police ctg"
serial dates it to 1909. He says it's in good working condition and he's shot it.
Holster wear on the barrel.
He wants 450.00 for it. This is Calfornia so these are hard to find.
Although these are so old that they could be imported from out of state as C&R being off the approved roster.
The .38 special police positives are going for around 600 on the gun auctions.
So did you buy it?

As I believe I stated earlier, if it is marked 32 POLICE CTG it will accept 32 S&W Long ammunition. The one you are considering is not a New Police, it is a Police Positive. The New Police generally had a step where the trigger guard joined the frame, the Positives usually had the trigger blended into the frame.

The one at the top of this photo is so marked, hopefully you can make it out in this photo. It accepts 32 S&W Long ammo. This one was made in 1917.

Old May 4, 2018, 09:55 AM   #35
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
So did you buy it?
No, unfortunately, I had to pass one it.
Old May 4, 2018, 09:53 PM   #36
Jazzgun

Driftwood Johnson
Quote:

I believe what you have there is a New Pocket Model, not a New Police.

Hmmm....that's interesting. I wonder why they stamped it like this:

COLT NEW POLICE.32

On the left side of the barrel. On top of the barrel is some other inscription with the date of manufacture as : July 4, 1905. The five digit serial number is on the butt of the gun.

Here's a closeup:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colt New Police 32 marking.jpg (90.0 KB, 511 views)

Last edited by Jazzgun; May 5, 2018 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Insert photo.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:59 PM   #37
Jazzgun

Quote:
At some point after Serial Number 130,000 the internal mechanism of this revolver was changed to the Positive Lock mechanism, patented in 1905. At some point all the old New Pocket frames were used up, and on the newer frame the trigger guard blended smoothly into the frame.
Serial number on ours is: 28688

Dated: July 4, 1905
Old May 5, 2018, 12:02 AM   #38
Jazzgun

Quote:
No, unfortunately, I had to pass one it.
Hey High ^^^^^ ! There is another one sweeter out there with your name on it!
Old May 5, 2018, 05:05 PM   #39
Buzzcook

Jazzgun. The stamp on your barrel is the cartridge it uses, not the name of the gun. At that time Colt was jealous of its trade name and didn't want to put S&W on their guns. So they made twin cartridges marketed under their name an stamped that unto their guns.

The Colt New Police .32 is twin to the S&W .32 long.
Old May 6, 2018, 05:25 PM   #40
Jazzgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzcook View Post
Jazzgun. The stamp on your barrel is the cartridge it uses, not the name of the gun. At that time Colt was jealous of its trade name and didn't want to put S&W on their guns. So they made twin cartridges marketed under their name an stamped that unto their guns.

The Colt New Police .32 is twin to the S&W .32 long.
In sorry but that doesn't even make sense to me. I've looked at a lot of pics of the Colt New Police 32 and read many articles. The handle is different on some of the pics. There is other inscription on the barrel as well but too small for me to take a pic of it and too long for me to post it. It's on the top of the barrel. There's also another stamped number next to the cylinder when opened. 311.

I kinda don't understand why some folks just don't want me to think this is a New Police .32. What's the deal? Not like it really matters. But since it was Robert's grandfather's gun yeah it does kinda matter. It's stamped Colt New Police .32 in good size letters right on the barrel. That is a model that Colt made. I'm not buying that Colt didn't want anyone to know they should use S & W ammo. You could use Colt ammo as well. Lmao. I'm actually having a hard time typing this while I'm laughing. LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_New_Police_Revolver

Cmon man. I know I'm a girl but we like guns too.

Last edited by Jazzgun; May 6, 2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old May 6, 2018, 08:36 PM   #41
Buzzcook

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_S%26W_Long

Quote:
The Colt company referred to the .32 S&W Long cartridge as the .32 "Colt's New Police" cartridge, concurrent with the conversion of the Colt New Police revolver from .32 Long Colt. The cartridges are functionally identical with the exception that the .32 NP cartridge has been historically loaded with a flat nosed bullet as opposed to the round nose of the .32 S&W Long.[3]
If you search this forum you'll find the same thing I wrote, in more detail.
Old May 7, 2018, 02:53 AM   #42
Jazzgun

Quote:

Problem is, Buzz, that you're talking about the cartridge

Wikipedia: .32 S&W Long

and I'm talking about the revolver. I own it! I'm looking at it. It's a:

Wikipedia: Colt New Police Revolver .32

Last edited by Jazzgun; May 7, 2018 at 02:59 AM.
Old May 7, 2018, 03:23 AM   #43
Jazzgun

Quote:

Buzz....I really do appreciate your information and I know you're trying to be helpful. I will do some more research.
Old May 7, 2018, 06:37 AM   #44
Mike Irwin
Staff

Jazz,

The only concern with your revolver is that the grip configuration isn't correct for a New Police/Police Positive.

The New Police revolver had, as Driftwood said, a longer grip. It also had a more flared butt, essentially giving it a square butt configuration.

Your revolver has the butt configuration of the New Pocket revolver -- more a round butt configuration.

Note this from this article: https://gundigest.com/more/classic-g...cs_coltsnubbie

"The original Colt New Pocket .32 had a compact, round-butt grip frame that made it especially well-suited for concealed carry. In 1896, Colt developed a variation of the New Pocket with a square-butt grip frame and released it as the New Police."

Also, note this regarding chamberings...

"(On special order, Colt would chamber the New Pocket and New Police in the much-superior, inside-lubricated .32 S&W Long cartridge, but it wasn’t eager to recognize a S&W product or stamp the hated “S&W” on its guns.)"

If that's the case, you could well have one of the special order New Pocket revolvers that was chambered for the the .32 Long cartridge.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 7, 2018, 06:41 AM   #45
Mike Irwin
Staff

If you look at the New Pocket revolver displayed here, you're going to see that it's identical to your revolver.

http://www.coltautos.com/DA/NewPocke...etci_26711.htm

But, note the barrel marking.

This gun is marked Colt DA .32, which was standard way of marking revolvers that chambered their .32 Long Colt cartridge.

The marking on your gun doesn't designate the mode of the gun, it designates what cartridge it fires.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 7, 2018, 02:11 PM   #46
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy Again

If you look at the photo on the Wikipedia page that you refer to, you will see the New Police revolver has the longer grip. This is because it was a police revolver, not meant to be easily concealed. Yes, a fairly small revolver, smaller than most 38 Specials, but still not meant to be easily concealed.

Your revolver has the smaller grip, which is meant for easy concealment in a pocket, hence the name New Pocket Model.

The legend on the barrel refers to the cartridge the gun is chambered for, it is not a model name.
Old May 7, 2018, 02:39 PM   #47
SIGSHR

Because you can't find one in 38 S&W/Colt New Police like mine.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:18 PM   #48
Archie

HighValley, because you collect such things and don't have one yet.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old May 8, 2018, 05:44 PM   #49
Jazzgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
If you look at the New Pocket revolver displayed here, you're going to see that it's identical to your revolver.

http://www.coltautos.com/DA/NewPocke...etci_26711.htm

But, note the barrel marking.

This gun is marked Colt DA .32, which was standard way of marking revolvers that chambered their .32 Long Colt cartridge.

The marking on your gun doesn't designate the mode of the gun, it designates what cartridge it fires.
Hi Mike...

Thanks very much for all the information that you gave me to research and learn how to identify the Colt revolver that I have. I really did intend to get back here sooner to tell you and Driftwood how much I appreciated the time you took to educate me and I really do appreciate the correction.

I learned so much by following the links you both provided and am even more fascinated with these old revolvers now than I was before. We are going to take it to the range this weekend to fire it for the first time.

I do admit it is somewhat confusing, a little bit, still.... as to why they marked it New Police instead of Colt Pocket .32 or whatever. But then on the other hand I have read that sometimes Colt would put barrels with entirely different markings on the guns just as long as the correct cartridge was there. Interesting.

I do like this little 'pocket' revolver. Thanks again for all the really great info!

Jazz
Old May 8, 2018, 05:51 PM   #50
Jazzgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood Johnson View Post
Howdy Again

If you look at the photo on the Wikipedia page that you refer to, you will see the New Police revolver has the longer grip. This is because it was a police revolver, not meant to be easily concealed. Yes, a fairly small revolver, smaller than most 38 Specials, but still not meant to be easily concealed.

Your revolver has the smaller grip, which is meant for easy concealment in a pocket, hence the name New Pocket Model.

The legend on the barrel refers to the cartridge the gun is chambered for, it is not a model name.
Hey Driftwood.... PLEASE accept my most sincere apology for doubting you! You were SOOOO correct about my gun not being the New Police and being the Pocket model. I appreciate you so much for not being offended after I was so defensive. LOL I have so much to learn. I've never researched Colt like I have these last few days and it is truly fascinating I've learned so much. I wish I had a nicer revolver now. LOL! I actually do like this one and if you read my response to Mike, we are taking it to the range this weekend to fire it.

Thanks again so much for being so nice and taking the time to teach me about my gun and again...hope you will overlook my ignorance as well as my being so hard headed.

Cheers!