The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 18, 2018, 10:33 AM   #1
Carmady

LCP 7-rd magazine (made by Ruger)

Have any of you used this? Likes, dislikes? It looks like a good thing, a Ruger factory mag that holds seven. This one is for the original style LCP's, not the LCP II.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LCP 7-rd mag.jpg (164.9 KB, 105 views)
Old April 18, 2018, 12:00 PM   #2
Screwball

I personally am not a fan... as I get seven rounds in a standard magazine with Magguts. Why go larger with same capacity?

I did talk to Magguts about a +1 kit for that magazine. Said they originally couldn’t due to tolerances, but would look into it again. If that occurred, I would consider that magazine.
Old April 18, 2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Carmady

Quote:
Why go larger with same capacity?
MagGuts is $26, and uses my existing mag, so I'd spend $26 to have one extra round and still have one mag.

The 7-rd Ruger mag is $31, and I'd still have the original 6-rd mag for a spare.
Old April 18, 2018, 12:10 PM   #4
Hal

Quote:
MagGuts is $26, and uses my existing mag, so I'd spend $26 to have one extra round and still have one mag.

The 7-rd Ruger mag is $31, and I'd still have the original 6-rd mag for a spare.
Yup...
Old April 18, 2018, 03:31 PM   #5
TruthTellers

Have several. They work, I like them, but the extra grip length doesn't help in shooting the LCP that much.
Old April 19, 2018, 08:30 AM   #6
rpseraph

Quote:
They work, I like them, but the extra grip length doesn't help in shooting the LCP that much.
I am in the same boat. I love it when people talk about how the LCP isn't comfortable to shoot a lot. Well, that isn't the point of an LCP!
Old April 19, 2018, 09:01 AM   #7
gnystrom

I keep a LCP with Viridian laser, Hogue grip, and a Ruger 7 round mag in the car. They are not for pocket carry but as a hideaway that extra round is nice to have. The LCPII in the pic spends a lot of time in my back pocket wallet holster.
BTW, I spend 90% of my trigger time with either of these guns shooting one handed only.

Old April 19, 2018, 09:27 AM   #8
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady View Post

Understood... but in a pocket gun like the LCP, that is probably the worst thing to do; increase the size.

There isn’t a right/wrong view of it. You asked for opinions, and that is what I gave. The only way that magazine would appeal to me would be if I could load 8... as I would use a cargo pocket holster and have 17 rounds in that pocket compared to the 15 in my back pocket with a Recluse holster. In a pocket gun, I want as small profile as possible.
Old April 19, 2018, 09:32 AM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpseraph View Post
I am in the same boat. I love it when people talk about how the LCP isn't comfortable to shoot a lot. Well, that isn't the point of an LCP!
Right-o.

It's not comfortable, it's not fun. It's not a fun plinker. It's specialized to be concealable when anything larger can't be.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 19, 2018, 11:56 AM   #10
wild cat mccane

I too have a Magguts +1 in the Ruger 6 round mag.

I wouldn't use the LCP in the pocket if it were bigger.

The Magguts, at 26 bucks, is worth it to me. It's a spicy cost, but I don't have an extra long LCP to get 7 in the mag.
Old April 19, 2018, 02:40 PM   #11
Carmady

Thanks to everybody for all the replies.

That pic that gnystrom posted is the first I've seen with the 7-rd mag in a pistol. That is more length than I'd like to add to it. In this new light, the MagGuts does have some appeal.

And there's always Door #3, the stock 6-rd mag in the pistol and the Ruger 7-rd mag for a spare.

I read the 31 page Wolff recoil spring thread on the Elsie Pea forum over the weekend, and ordered the 12# set. I'll try that first and see if I want to stick with the LCP. I haven't shot it in about two years. Might compare the stock springs to the 12# and go from there.
Old April 19, 2018, 08:44 PM   #12
Joe_Pike

I have one and it adds about 1/4" or so to the gun and doesn't really make it any less pocket friendly to me. I picked the Ruger mag since it is a factory mag and I assumed it would work properly....and it does. I have read a lot about all of the plus one, two, three, etc. setups for different guns and found a lot of mixed reviews from users.
Old April 19, 2018, 10:02 PM   #13
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Pike View Post
I picked the Ruger mag since it is a factory mag and I assumed it would work properly....and it does. I have read a lot about all of the plus one, two, three, etc. setups for different guns and found a lot of mixed reviews from users.

To expand on that, I do want to point out that I don’t doubt that magazine works. Ruger magazines are definitely good to go.

However, I’ve been running Magguts in all six of my LCP magazines since 2012ish. No issues at all. I definitely would suggest testing any modification with your carry ammo... but I feel that Magguts are just as good to go as Ruger magazines. There was a redesign since then, which I am not 100% up on, but never heard of any issue with them, shy of failing to install them correctly.
Old April 21, 2018, 11:38 PM   #14
Carmady

[QUOTE]There was a redesign since then, which I am not 100% up on, but never heard of any issue with them, shy of failing to install them correctly. [QUOTE]

After looking into the MagGuts mod, there seems to have been at least three versions made for the LCP.
1) flat follower
2) split follower with wire spring on the bottom (Feb 2013 youtube video)
3) split follower with flat spring on the bottom (Dec 2016 youtube video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gmfwU6xPoE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kclGN8GGJks&t=44s

Yours are type 2? I wonder why they changed the bottom spring, to make a better product or to cut manufacturing costs? Hopefully both.
Old April 22, 2018, 12:35 AM   #15
Cirdan

I have a couple of these. Never had a problem with them.
Old April 22, 2018, 07:50 AM   #16
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady View Post
Yours are type 2? I wonder why they changed the bottom spring, to make a better product or to cut manufacturing costs? Hopefully both.

Yep...

The change in follower was done during the first production... but there were months between the release of the third (current) version. They were listed as out of stock throughout that time. A lot of people thought they went out of business/dropped the LCP... then one day, they were available again.

I consider it two types, due to the amount of time they didn’t produce them. I also believe it was mostly to lessen production costs... especially with them going into other designs. I’ve been meaning to pick a new one up and compare, but the ones I have work 100%. Why bother?
Old April 22, 2018, 03:52 PM   #17
sigxder

It's obviously very individual. I put the 11 lb. recoil spring and the rubber grip that hooks to the back pin in the gun. Made the gun much more pleasant to shoot and control for me.
The Ruger 7 round mags give me an extra finger on the grip. That helps me with the control the little gun much better also.
It doesn't add enough length to the gun to effect my ability to pocket carry the gun. Since hits are all that matters. And it is only a .380. I will take the extra round and control over the gun to make good hits. JMHO.
Old April 23, 2018, 07:27 PM   #18
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
Right-o.

It's not comfortable, it's not fun. It's not a fun plinker. It's specialized to be concealable when anything larger can't be.
I could not disagree more (respectfully.) A Pocket gun should be fun, it should be shot often and if the LCP is not giving you that, then get one that does. I find it amazing that people that CCW a Pocket gun like the LCP do not want to train with a gun that may save their life.
I bought my first LCP years ago when they first came out. And could not shoot it worth a rat's ass. So, I started training and training. Yes, it became fun, I did in fact enjoy shooting it, it became a challenge and a shooting challenge is fun.
I went through 4 LCP's moved on to what I feel are much better pocket guns, but to this day shoot pocket guns almost each week. I am a range junkie. No matter what gun I go to the range to shoot, the 9mm's, the shotgun, and on and on, the Pocket gun will go into the range bag and it will get shot.
If your are going to carry it, then learn to shoot it with total confidence!
And I do NOT mean going to the range and shooting it like a target gun. I see this all the time at ranges and it drives me crazy. Learn to pick the gun up fast, point and shoot center mass as fast as possible.

If You are carrying a Pocket gun and you are not doing dilegent taining, then get rid of it. It is most likely useless. TRAIN AS IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT.

Ps, I went through a lot of mags. Never bought mag guts, but did buy a lot of Pro mags for training and they worked fine. For CCW I only carried the standard 6 round mag. I made sure my CCW always had a newer mag, but one I tested at the ranges. I would rotate them out.
Ps I would always buy many extra recoil springs, take down pins, and bought a stainless steel guide rod.
I do the same thing for the Pocket guns I do carry and shoot now.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; April 23, 2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old April 24, 2018, 07:25 PM   #19
Carmady

I noticed another difference between the two MagGuts kits. On the earlier one, with the wire bottom spring the lock plate is a separate piece, but on the newer version the lock plate is already fastened to the flat bottom spring. That would make installation easier, one less part to launch into orbit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LCP MagGuts website flat spring.jpg (61.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg LCP MagGuts.jpg (34.1 KB, 16 views)
Old April 25, 2018, 11:58 PM   #20
Nodak1858

I use the 7 rounders in mine. Still carry it in a pocket holster most of the time. It really doesn't add much to the size. As far as not a fun fun to shoot, IMHO it's a fun to. One year i used it to go after muskrats. It wasn't a planned thing, we got done deer hunting and were just cruising around the prairie. Seen a muskrat and we started after them. All I had on me was my LCP, got a few of them. If you are going to carry a gun your life many depend on it should be one you are comfortable shooting. Not all guns fit all people.
Old April 26, 2018, 09:10 AM   #21
Laz

Quote:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
Aw, Nodak. Have faith. Give us time, lol.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old April 27, 2018, 08:14 PM   #22
Front Sight

I carry the 7-round extended in my LCP. I keep the 6-round factory mag with the pinky extension as a reload. I like the extra grip it gives me and is still small enough to disappear IWB.
Old April 27, 2018, 08:45 PM   #23
Auto5

Ok, so after reading this thread, I bought the MagGuts kit for one of my LCP mags. It went together fine and holds 7 as promised, but I noticed that it takes considerably more pressure to seat the magazine. is this normal? I haven't fired it yet, but it cycles manually with no hangups.
Old April 27, 2018, 09:13 PM   #24
wild cat mccane

mine does not take more pressure.

It's very easy to install it upside down....
Old April 28, 2018, 07:51 AM   #25
Chipperman

I carry an LCP with the seven round mag in my pocket as a BUG.
I like the extra round and the added grip size