The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 24, 2018, 05:52 AM   #1
keithdog

Choosing a pellet for a Daisy 901.

Yes, I'm talking about a pellet/bb gun. I ordered a Daisy 901 air rifle to rid myself of a few starlings and just to enjoy some cheep fun target shooting. It has a rifled steel barrel and True Glow sights. Now, I haven't shoot a pellet gun in probably 30 years. When I was a kid there was very little choice of pellets to choose from. But today there are many, with different designs, and different metals. So I thought I would see if anyone here in the forums enjoys shooting air guns and if so, what choice of pellet do you prefer for accuracy, and for shooting varmints?
Old April 24, 2018, 07:44 AM   #2
Ricklin

I've always had good luck with RWS. Much like their bigger powder burning brothers you will need to find what your new rifle "likes" best.

You may save a little time visiting an airgun forum to learn what brands and types of pellets others have had good results with.

My handgun skills improved greatly thanks to an accurate pellet pistol and a lot of pellets on paper.
Old April 24, 2018, 05:01 PM   #3
keithdog

Good idea about visiting an air gun forum. Hadn't thought of that.
Old April 24, 2018, 05:21 PM   #4
turkeestalker

I recently purchased a peep sight for my Benjamin/Sheridan 392, I know I know it's a dinosaur....like me!
I hadn't ever tried to find what pellets it liked best, just shot what was available locally which was limited in .22 caliber.

So I got online and ordered six different kinds of .22 pellets.
Even found some of the discontinued Daisy flat nosed (wadcutters) that most 392 shooters swear by on air rifle forums.
Hands down it likes the 'wadcutter' types better than the fancy pointed ones or the conical hollow points, which are very effective at dispatching small vermin.

Out of the three wadcutters I had on hand it actually performs best with the cheapie Crosman ones available at Wallyworld hands down.
Those weren't one of the six tins I ordered, those I already had.

I have a variety of .22 pellets that I'll never use now, but they were cheap enough I guess.

Best bet is to try as many as it takes to find what it likes best, and plan on winding up with a glut of almost full tins of pellets once you do.
Old April 24, 2018, 05:26 PM   #5
Kvon2

Why not order a variety pack and test them out? I think experimenting with different projectiles(pellets or bullets) is the fun part.
Old April 24, 2018, 06:16 PM   #6
the possum

Yeah, as Kvon2 pointed out, you can buy a variety pack with several styles, so you can see which one your gun likes best.

With my old Benjamin, when I only put a few pumps in it, I could tell the flat pellets had more killing power on birds. With full power (around 750 fps), it didn't seem to matter. But after 35 yards, the pointed pellets seemed to do a better job of penetrating wing feathers on broadside shots.
Old April 26, 2018, 04:31 AM   #7
FiveInADime

I've had good luck with JSB Exact Diabolo 8.4gr .177 pellets in most air rifles.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old April 26, 2018, 12:17 PM   #8
mulespurs

Maybe go to Walmart

You could try some Crossman precision hollow points. The don't cost much and might work pretty good.

It is hard to beat the JSB exacts in a round nose pellet.
I think you will find the round nose pellets best at extended ranges.
Old April 27, 2018, 12:19 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

At $60, a Daisy 901 is an entry level air rifle, but like any rifle, you need to try as many brands of pellet as you can to find the one your Daisy shoots best.
Old April 27, 2018, 03:35 PM   #10
stephen426

Be careful, airguns are addictive. The Daisy 901 got great reviews on Pyramyd Air so I think you have a great start. https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Daisy_Powerline_901/846

They are not that big so I think your gun should have plenty of oomph to take them out. The gun you have is a multi-pump so your time between shots will be slightly higher. It is also good you got a pneumatic gun as there is no recoil to throw off your shot. Some of the spring guns or gas piston style guns have some kick to contend with.

I started with a Crossman Nitro in .22 for an iguana problem. I soon found out that iguanas are pretty darn tough and went to the Crossman Nitro in .25. While that packed more punch, the spring piston caused some unwanted vibration and recoil. That is when I went to a Benjamin Marauder, which is probably the most popular precharged pneumatic air gun out there. It has a rotary magazine, is available up to .25 caliber, and is incredibly quite. The gun is an absolute tack driver and has plenty of power. The problem is pumping by hand is a chore and other methods of filling are expensive. This gun can be charged up to 3000 psi, so you either need a scuba tank (with adapter), a high pressure compressor (big $), or a bicycle style pump (still $~200) and you get a free workout.

The with the copper "ballistic tip" will ensure decent penetration in your gun. If you are looking for maximum impact, the Skenco UltraShock has a massive hollow point and looks pretty nasty.
Old April 27, 2018, 08:57 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Probably anything you pick up at Wally World will serve your purpose. But as mentioned air rifles can have preferences to what ammo they prefer.
Pyramid Air has a very good selection of quality pellets. Even some "sampler" packs. But they aren't as cheap as buying local if just knocking down a few pests is your only need.
https://www.pyramydair.com
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 28, 2018, 08:55 AM   #12
Erno86

I also like JSB pellets for my air rifle.

--- George Orwell
Old April 28, 2018, 07:17 PM   #13
Scorch

Quote:
I ordered a Daisy 901 air rifle to rid myself of a few starlings and just to enjoy some cheep fun target shooting.
Heh heh. Never shot starlings, have you? They will very quickly learn to be just out of range. They are smart birds.

Back in the day, I owned a RWS 48, and it liked the pointed pellets, but each rifle has its own preferences.
Old April 30, 2018, 06:15 PM   #14
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Heh heh. Never shot starlings, have you? They will very quickly learn to be just out of range. They are smart birds.

Back in the day, I owned a RWS 48, and it liked the pointed pellets, but each rifle has its own preferences.
My dad has an RWS 48 and it has gone through 2 springs. Definitely a disappointment for an expensive springer.

If I ever buy a new pellet-rifle it'd have to be a multi-pump or a pcp. I just don't trust springers any more.

Old May 1, 2018, 12:00 PM   #15
stephen426

Quote:
My dad has an RWS 48 and it has gone through 2 springs. Definitely a disappointment for an expensive springer.

If I ever buy a new pellet-rifle it'd have to be a multi-pump or a pcp. I just don't trust springers any more.
Spring guns are bad. Go Nitro Piston or pre-charged pneumatic if it is in the budget. In a crap hits the fan scenario, I can use my Benjamin Marauder .25 to keep food on the table for a very long time. Pellets are far cheaper than regular bullets, and the Marauder is so quiet, you won't spook other game. Guns made by Airforce are super cool looking and some have variable power. They aren't cheap though.

Like I mentioned earlier, you will either need a scuba tank (and all associated costs that go with in including adapters, tank inspections, & fill fees), high pressure air compressor (Pretty darn expensive), or a bicycle style pump .

Once you make that investment, you can get .25 caliber pellets for about $.06 each unless you get the low budget stuff.
Old May 1, 2018, 01:36 PM   #16
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426 View Post
Spring guns are bad. Go Nitro Piston or pre-charged pneumatic if it is in the budget. In a crap hits the fan scenario, I can use my Benjamin Marauder .25 to keep food on the table for a very long time. Pellets are far cheaper than regular bullets, and the Marauder is so quiet, you won't spook other game. Guns made by Airforce are super cool looking and some have variable power. They aren't cheap though.

Like I mentioned earlier, you will either need a scuba tank (and all associated costs that go with in including adapters, tank inspections, & fill fees), high pressure air compressor (Pretty darn expensive), or a bicycle style pump .

Once you make that investment, you can get .25 caliber pellets for about $.06 each unless you get the low budget stuff.
When I have a lot of disposable income I'll be getting an FX Typhoon in .22 or .25 cal. I have too many hobbies for the amount of time I have right now.

Old May 1, 2018, 05:55 PM   #17
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveInADime
When I have a lot of disposable income I'll be getting an FX Typhoon in .22 or .25 cal. I have too many hobbies for the amount of time I have right now.
You might want to look at the Benjamin Marauder again. It is super popular so there are probably a lot of aftermarket upgrades available. It has a larger air capacity (215cc vs. 185cc), higher velocity (1000 fps. vs. 870), and the Marauder is VERY quiet. The FX shows that it has a shrouded barrel, but I can't find much info on it.