The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 7, 2018, 04:47 PM   #1
David Ozlo

Gun prices just increased across the board.

Have you noticed gun prices have increased this past two weeks. Looks like the increase is $20 to $30. This is bad for sales because gun buyers have not received pay raises.
I expect gun sales to crash this summer. So save now and wait for up coming fall sales.
Old April 7, 2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Depends on how bad we get bashed on gun control.
Old April 7, 2018, 06:04 PM   #3
Dufus

Twenty to thirty dollars would not break a deal for me.

Besides, Remlin needs the money
Old April 7, 2018, 06:58 PM   #4
Armybrat

I see S&W Sport II AR 15 rifles have been jacked up about $100 in several places.
Old April 7, 2018, 08:17 PM   #5
bn12gg

I've always made money when inflation arrives. Eh

.02. David.
Old April 7, 2018, 09:33 PM   #6
lee n. field

It's amazing to me that gun prices haven't risen more. Everything else is inflating far more than they're telling us.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 8, 2018, 08:37 AM   #7
tallball

How could prices rise "more than they are telling us"?

If you buy something, at some point you are usually informed of the cost.
Old April 8, 2018, 08:40 AM   #8
BumbleBug

Maybe tax refund time is causing a short term increase?

Just a thought...
Old April 8, 2018, 02:42 PM   #9
jag2

I thought the new tax law would be helping out. I’m retired so I don’t know. My SS check went up $5, woohoo.
I had a few guns when I retired in ‘07 and decided to expand the collection and shoot more. Prices quickly went up in ‘08 thru ‘10. I’m now finding some of the old Winchesters I bought are not worth what I paid for them. That’s okay, I’ll survive. However, as I look farther down the road there is certainly a possibility that we may be getting a democratic president in 2020. Depending on their stances we could see prices go back up again. I’ll be 72 then so I may start thinking about thinning the herd a bit. Timing is everything.
Old April 8, 2018, 03:26 PM   #10
Minorcan

Actually there is a glut of new guns that were produced anticipating that Hillary would win but since she lost many weren’t snatched up in the gun ban fear. They have been sitting unsold and many LGS were having sales to move the overstock. Since the FL School shooting and misinformation spouted by the leftist anti gun media many are starting to “fear” buy again. I think it is a temporary pricing increase to capitalize and make profit on the fear. My LGS knows this and they are actually willing to deal to move some of their overstock.
Old April 8, 2018, 03:51 PM   #11
bn12gg

Turned 70 y/o -- not selling any of the herd. So long as I can see and limp to the Club I'm holding pat. The wife and kids can sell off my jewelry and travel around the world. Inflation is my friend re my collection.

.02. David.
Old April 8, 2018, 06:12 PM   #12
FITASC

It's Spring - gun prices ALWAYS go up in the Spring. If $20-$30 is a dealbreaker, I am sorry, but maybe some other aspects need changing in your spending or saving routines.................unless you're buying 100 guns per week.....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 8, 2018, 08:09 PM   #13
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallball View Post
How could prices rise "more than they are telling us"?

If you buy something, at some point you are usually informed of the cost.
The Consumer Price Index, vs. what it really costs to get what you need.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 8, 2018, 08:15 PM   #14
TruthTellers

Idk about gun prices, they're about the same as they've been since the election in 2016, but FFL's around me have increased the price for transfers. Five or ten bucks isn't much, but it's clear what they're doing: gouging.

And it was the FFL's and other retailers who were gouging us the last time and they'll be the ones to do it again.
Old April 8, 2018, 08:32 PM   #15
riffraff

Prices went up for me locally, which I believe to be more of a supply and demand thing - there was lots of older stock piling up under the current fed administration - gun sales were very low, prices at rock bottom. Few shootings, kids marching around, lots of press, new bans in some places making people hoard - took a couple months but eventually impacted supply.

One rifle I bought recently, initially looking the price was like $300 below everyone else online or otherwise, 3 weeks later when I went to buy one the price was up $400. What do you do at that point - kick yourself for not capitalizing on a deal and take your new toy home happy to at least have gotten it well under retail price.

Shopping for AR uppers lately, you notice lots of everything sold out. Prices do not seem to be up but not seeing much for real sales either.

Every place online has a "due to increased volume" disclaimer up.

Only thing that seems not to be impacted somehow are mags - those are remaining plenty available & cheap. Even ammo it appears certain things, not the run of the mill stuff coming by the truckload but the middle of the road stuff that's popular, seems to be hard to find.

Provided things quiet down it should get better before it gets worse in the next election - or at least I hope to see a window of good shopping between now & 2020.
Old April 9, 2018, 06:15 PM   #16
dogtown tom

Quote:
David Ozlo Have you noticed gun prices have increased this past two weeks.
Nope.

Quote:
Looks like the increase is $20 to $30. This is bad for sales because gun buyers have not received pay raises.
How do you know gun buyers have not received a raise?
In fact, Jan/Feb/Mar are sales bonanzas because of year end bonuses/commissions and income tax refunds.

If you can't afford another $30 to be able to buy a gun.....cut out the vente sized mochachino frappes at Starbucks for two weeks.
The last two years have seen the LOWEST GUN PRICES in history. Dealers/distributors/manufacturers were/are drowning in an oversupply of inventory. Some blame it on the Trump Effect, but prices were flatlined way before Trump was nominated.

Quote:
I expect gun sales to crash this summer. So save now and wait for up coming fall sales.
May/June/July have traditionally been the three slowest months of the year for gun sales. But that doesn't equal discounted prices in the fall.

Palmetto State Armory deal of the day: (Ruger LC9S, AR15 lower & AR10 lower for $299)
http://palmettostatearmory.com/ruger...-receiver.html

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Last edited by dogtown tom; April 9, 2018 at 06:59 PM.