The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 27, 2018, 03:11 PM   #1
BeriAlpha

Tell me about my 1918 SMLE MkIII

This rifle has been a minor mystery in my family for a while. It turned up in a storage closet, something my dad had taken in lieu of a payment, but nobody remembers exactly where it came from.

A few things are clear (at least, I hope so): it's from 1918, England, SMLE MkIII, .303 British. I've used it on the range, and it works, beautifully.

I searched all over the rifle for markings, and everything's here: https://imgur.com/a/1eXPh

I'd be interested in any information, any history, and your estimate of its value. I'm ready to see this rifle off to a new home.

Last edited by BeriAlpha; March 27, 2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old March 28, 2018, 11:13 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Looks to be a standard No 1 Mk III.

They were made in the millions during the War. Starting in the 1950s many were brought into the United States as surplus.

Many were subjected to various degrees of sporterization to make them more suitable for hunting use.

Yours has been so modified by cutting the stock back, getting rid of a bunch of original hardware, and clamping on a front sight ramp.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 4, 2018, 03:00 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

It's a Mk III*. The .303 2.22 stamps are typical Brit proof marks required on any milsurp rifle that was sold through England. The 'ENGLAND' is an export stamp. The 'GR' means George Rex. As in King George V of England. Plus a swarm of assorted Brit proof and acceptance stamps. Broad arrows and crossed flags.
That front sight is aftermarket. You must check the headspace on sporterised Lee-Enfields.
This is a pretty good site for No. 1 Lee-Enfield stamps.
http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/history/markings/
Old April 6, 2018, 12:23 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

And, yet another person who joins, asks a bunch of questions, and can't be bothered to extend the courtesy of returning to see if someone was kind enough to answer his questions.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 6, 2018, 12:37 PM   #5
Remington74

Maybe take him out and shoot him?
Old April 6, 2018, 03:54 PM   #6
Mk VII

It's a Standard Small Arms one, with a bbl date of 1928, and probably overhauled in 1935.