The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 6, 2010, 10:22 PM   #1
rantingredneck

Tell me about the Mossberg 9200.........

There's a woodland camo'd example at the local gun shop that looks to be in great shape. Don't remember the exact price on it, 4 something or other. But they'll probably take a little less than what's on the tag.

I need another shotgun like I need a hole in the head but this one intrigued me a bit. Don't know much about the 9200 though, so I thought I'd come to the TFL font of shotgun wisdom with my questions.....

Reliable or no? Parts available? Common issues to watch out for? Run far far away?

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old March 7, 2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Lee Lapin

It's out of production and a factory "orphan." That about says it all in my book for a modern design from a company that is still in business. IOW, it couldn't/didn't cut it in the marketplace for whatever reason, and it was yanked. I don't know any details, but the bigger picture is enough for me.

YMMV of course.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 7, 2010, 10:23 AM   #3
rantingredneck

That's sorta kinda what I was thinking. I knew it had gone out of production some time ago and has been replaced by the 930/935 series guns, but that's as far as my knowledge on it goes.

It doesn't really fill a niche for me either as I have most of my shotgun bases covered. I'll pass on this one I think.

Old March 7, 2010, 11:39 AM   #4
LakeCruiser

I bought a 9200 as a kit that included the rifled slug barrel and scope mount back in the early 90's (i think). Mine had/has an ejection problem that I've never really been able to get corrected. I sent it back for repairs once a number of years ago when I was still using it. It seemed better for a while, but after a season or two, it was back to its "fail to eject" issues. I don't use it anymore, so I haven't pursued further repair. I will say that the slug barrel with the cantilevered scope mount was very accurate. With good sabot slugs I could hit a paper plate at 125 yds every time. It might even be more accurate than that, because I didn't shoot much then. I should probably see if Mossberg would take another stab at fixing it.
Old March 7, 2010, 11:30 PM   #5
Smitty in CT

The best thimg about the 9200's is that they all come with a "lifetime warranty"...

If you have any problems, Mossberg will repair the gun, if they can't they'll give you a brnd new 930 as a replacement!!

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old March 8, 2010, 08:34 AM   #6
rantingredneck

Really? I thought Mossberg's warranty was 10 years and limited to the original owner?

Old March 8, 2010, 09:41 AM   #7
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantingredneck
Really? I thought Mossberg's warranty was 10 years and limited to the original owner?
Their warranty is:
10 years on their pumps (500 / 590 / 535 / 835)
2 years on their new autoloaders (930 / 935)
1 year on the Maverick

It's also supposed to be 1 year on the Mossberg International (Silver Reserve & .22's), but from what I've seen, because the first versions of the S/R had so many firing pin problems, they're fixing all of them with no questions asked...regardless of age.

The 9200 had a "special" lifetime warranty because they were trying to build a customer base that wasn't sure about the reliability of a Mossberg semi-auto. I don't know if the warranty carries over to the new gun if they decide to replace it though...

BTW, I think $400 is too much to pay for a standard 9200, a 9200A1 maybe.... The only problems that they had were with the action bars, they use long action bars and if the ever got bent, they would tend to develop cycling problems, limited parts availability through www.havlinsales.com

Original owner is a subjective term, Mossberg doesn't know who buys their guns, they are sold through distributors....

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old March 8, 2010, 09:52 AM   #8
rantingredneck

Interesting. My ownership experience with Mossbergs has been limited to pumps so I was applying that warranty globally in my head.

How's the 9200 handle light loads? One gripe I have with my 11-87 is that I have to use heavy loads for training with the short barrel. Lighter birdshot would be cheaper to run, but it won't cycle with the 21" barrel. With the 30" barrel over a dove or trap field it's golden, though.

Does the 9200 share this trait?

Old March 8, 2010, 10:41 AM   #9
jwissin

does anyone have experience with using the warranty? i bought a 9200 this past saturday at a gun expo in columbus. talked him down to 200$ for the all black semi auto 12ga with truglo sights (front and back) sling ready. there are a couple dings in it but 200$, im not complaining. any ways, i took it out sunday for some trap and was having the chambering issues talked about above. just wondering what kind of battle i would be in for if another bottle of oil and heavier loads dont cut it (i oiled the crap outa this thing). thanks guys
Old March 8, 2010, 11:12 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
does anyone have experience with using the warranty?
Nuttin' ever broke on mine...
I did call them and asked for a regular stock bolt so i could get the PGO off after my arm injury... It came back from 11 years absence, after a burglary, still wearing the PGO that was on it when stolen.

Mossberg happily and promptly sent me, at no charge, a new bolt and some of the decals from their "store" (the nice ones) and a nice thank you letter for my loyal patronage of their family owned and operated enterprise...

Brent
Old March 8, 2010, 11:20 AM   #11
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwissin
does anyone have experience with using the warranty? i bought a 9200 this past saturday at a gun expo in columbus. talked him down to 200$ for the all black semi auto 12ga with truglo sights (front and back) sling ready. there are a couple dings in it but 200$, im not complaining. any ways, i took it out sunday for some trap and was having the chambering issues talked about above. just wondering what kind of battle i would be in for if another bottle of oil and heavier loads dont cut it (i oiled the crap outa this thing). thanks guys
I have never heard of anybody having problems with Mossberg's Customer Service. I have even heard of one guy that sent in an "old" model 500 to be fixed that was well out of warranty. The gun came back fixed free of charge with a note saying sorry and thank you. Call them up, they'll probably ask you to send it in for evaluation....

Old March 8, 2010, 11:21 AM   #12
jwissin

sounds good thanks
Old March 8, 2010, 01:15 PM   #13
colostomyclown

Lee,

do you think theres any difference in reputation/outlook/opinion on the

9200a1 jungle gun? it seems to be a fairly different animal overall. Victor Havlin was telling me he has one for sale. I considered it. It does have a heavy barrel, unlike a 930spx.
Old March 8, 2010, 08:39 PM   #14
mpd61

Howa right?

The Mossberg 9200 is a continuation of the old S&W 1000 Auto series right? Made in Japan IIRC. I had the smith and it felt/handled/looked like a Remington 1100. Pretty solid gun for me.
Old March 8, 2010, 09:10 PM   #15
aerod1

Mossberg pumps are good guns but I don't think they have ever built an autoloader that didn't have ejection problems. I had two and both had ejection problems. My 590 and 835 pumps work great.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old March 8, 2010, 09:35 PM   #16
Smitty in CT

The Howa / Mossberg shotguns were called the same thing as the S&W guns, the 1000 & 3000.

Then Mossberg came out with a new design called the 5500, the next design was the 9200, then the 9200A1.

In 2003/2004, Mossberg came out with a completely new design, the 935, after it had been out for a few years and the "bugs" were worked out Mossberg came out with a 3" version, the 930...

The 930 is by far the best autoloader on the market for less than $600 or so... They are very reliable, easy to clean, and are extremely soft shooting...

Old January 23, 2013, 09:24 PM   #17
copperhead89

Mossberg 9200 warranty

I bought a Blk syn 9200 with 28vr barrel. I think it is drilled for scope. When I purchased from the gun shop I brought it home to give it a good cleaning. When I was cleaning the barrel with the 12 gauge jag I noticed where the vent rib was soldered on the barrel had larger dimensions. I called Mossberg and they asked me to send it in. In about a week I received the gun back. They replaced everything but the receiver, Stock, forearm, and choketube. I got new barrel, mag tube, bolt assy, safety group, and the registered the receiver to me so I have a lifetime warranty on the gun. I wanted to sell it to a friend but got it back when I found the warranty is non transferable. You may want to see if the gun had ever been registered to the owner- you may get a lifetime warranty.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:30 PM   #18
gary8865

moss 935

Can you remove front 935 sight or is it fixed unit
Old January 24, 2013, 07:32 PM   #19
Uncle Malice

I've had pretty good results with Mossberg's customer service dept.

I did the Shockwave Technologies birdshead grip w/ 14" 590 front end on my 500 'Cruiser' - as a non-NFA SBS/AOW. When I received the complete 14" front end, the barrel ring that goes around the mag tube was a little off center and the barrel wouldn't fully lock into place. I contacted Mossberg and explained the situation. They sent me a prepaid label in the mail for the barrel. I dropped it off to the UPS store, and had my replacement in a couple of weeks. The new barrel fit perfectly.

The gun is a blast to shoot, too. I like the birds head style grip compared to the Mossberg vertical pistol grip which really hurts the hand/wrist. With the birdshead style, the recoil just moves with your arm.

Almost exactly the same length as my 10.5" SBR/Pistol AR

Old January 24, 2013, 08:57 PM   #20
4570 ruger#1

mossberg 9200

I had a 9200 that also had ejection issues on a couple of occasions but was
very accurate with the rifled cantilever barrel, sold it and bought a 930 mossy oak that is also very accurate with the rifled slug barrel, very good gun no problems.
Old January 26, 2013, 11:46 AM   #21
PetahW

The 9200 I bought shot alright, but I just couldn't warm up to the adjustable black plastic comb on the one I had, so eventually sold it & bought something else equally forgettable................