The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 7, 2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Kimio

Hearing protection with speakers?

My uncle had a really nice pair of ear protection that amplified voices but muffled gun shots.

Does anyone know of some nice durable ear muffs that offer this feature? I asked my uncle, but sadly he cannot remember the make of them (They finally wore out and he threw them away)

EDIT: Sorry, I placed this in the wrong sub forum, if at all possible can an admin please move this to appropriate sub forum?
Old November 7, 2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

There are dozens of models/brands that go from $29 or less up to at least $350.

I've used quite a few of them and found them all to be acceptable. Some are quirky, like annoyingly random auto-shutoff timing but that sort of thing only really matters for hunting.

You'll find different levels of background noise, with the lowest amount (near zero) in the digital models. Those will also be the most expensive.

I have a set that I bought for $29 (IIRC) at Dick's Sporting Goods. They are surprisingly good. I previously had a set of Radians that offered more amplification but also more background noise. They cost about $130, several years ago.

Pro Ears makes them. Walker's makes them. Radian's and many other companies.
Old November 7, 2012, 06:11 PM   #3
David Hineline

My current favorite are the ones sold by Home Depot under the Ryobi brand name, they have a rechargable battery and an input jack to plug your music player into while you mow the grass.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:23 PM   #4
SerenityNetworks

I've got two of the inexpensive dark green Caldwell units (~$30 each) that I purchased from Cabela's. I've been very pleased with them (I purchased the second for a youth after being so pleased with the first). They silence loud noises yet allow for normal conversation without any problem. Their battery life is absolutely great. They are comfortable to wear and fold up easily into a small bundle. I used to wear a pair of ear plugs underneath them, but they mute shots so well that unless I'm next to a really loud rifle then I just wear the headset.

I have no basis for comparison with any other unit, so I can't speak to the value of more expensive devices. I can just say that I'm quite happy with the inexpensive Caldwell units.

Regards,
Andrew
Old November 7, 2012, 10:39 PM   #5
twhidd

I've owned a pair of Peltor Tactical 6Ss for about ten years now. I've really enjoyed them and they work as described. I payed about $60 for them, but it think they can be had for cheaper now. I bought these instead of cheaper ones because i liked the low profile. My only complaint is I often forget to shut them off so, the batteries are usually dead the next time I use them.
Old December 4, 2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I have a set of Peltor Tac 7's, paid about 130 for them 8 or 9 years ago. Only complaints were they were too thick for long gun, interfered with the gun stock. Main complaint is that I can't find replacement foam pads as they seem to be a discontinued item. Used them many many many hours for indoor & outdoor range, they work great for pistol, also great for hunting.
Will probably get a different model Peltor to replace them if I can't locate new pads.
Also have a set of Caldwell's, paid about 15 for them on a special buy. They have a delayed response which is terrible compared to the Peltors IMO.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:54 PM   #7
ltc444

These type of muff are nice. the thing you should consider when selecting hearing protection for shooting is the noise reduction ratio (NRR). For shooting a minimum NRR of 30 is necessary to protect your hearing.

1 NRR reduces noise by 1 decibel on the A scale. The A scale on the noise meter equates to human hearing.

When you recommend hearing protection it would be good to also report the NRR. Ear muffs which meet ANSI (AS/NZS 1269.3:2005 ) standards have the approval imprinted on the Muff. If an approval standard is not imprinted or addressed in the literature which accompanies the Muffs I would not purchase them.