The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2018, 11:17 PM   #1
DubC-Hicks

Looking to get a decent 1911

So far, I've narrowed it down to the SR1911, likely a nitrided TALO version, and the Kimber Custom II.

I've been seeing the Kimber on sale recently for $600 or so, but I'm not the biggest fan of the Swartz safety or the finish on the lower end Kimber's. I've heard the bluing doesn't hold up the greatest. It'd likely get sent to Robar or Club Custom Guns for a new finish.

The TALO and Night Watchmen SR1911s, rail or no rail matters not to me, go for $700-750. So more expensive, but I like the series 70 and finish better.

I know the Swartz stuff can be removed from the Kimber, effectively making it a series 70. But as far as quality and reliability, is one better than the other?
Old January 4, 2018, 11:54 PM   #2
JMag1

I’m not a Kimber 1911 fan, but I thought they had ditched the Swartz safety of late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old January 4, 2018, 11:55 PM   #3
DubC-Hicks

Any with the II at the end of the name still have the Swartz. From what I've gathered anyway.
Old January 5, 2018, 12:20 AM   #4
Cirdan

Love my SR1911 Commander. Series 70 (no drop safety).
Old January 5, 2018, 01:29 AM   #5
Viper225

If I were looking at 1911's, I would look at Springfield Armory Models like the Range Officer. Also take a look at Smith & Wesson's and Sig's. I am not a Kimber fan either.
I own a Colt Stainless Full size XSE that has been tuned up with quite a bit of custom work.

Bob R
Old January 5, 2018, 07:28 AM   #6
Chui

Springfield TRP or Dan Wesson Valor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 5, 2018, 09:25 AM   #7
weblance

My SR1911 has been great. I have close to 10,000 rounds through it, and it has been perfectly reliable.

For an entry level gun, the SR1911 is hard to beat. Plus it comes free of charge with Rugers excellent customer service.
Old January 5, 2018, 09:26 AM   #8
rodfac

Friends have brought 4 Kimber 1911's out to our farm range over the years that just didn't perform well. Multiple malfunctions. In all 4 cases, Kimber told them to put more ammunition through the gun before they'd take a look at the problems. For a defensive gun, that's unacceptable in my view, but YMMV. There are responsible posters here, whose opinions I respect that like Kimbers, but the four that I had contact with were pretty, but certainly not shooters.

My sons and I have owned just under a dozen Colts between us, over the pasts 50 years. As well as a Remington-Rand WWll 1911A1, a really great Sig RCS, and both of the all steel Ruger offerings, (in 5" & CMD). Taken from that two-gun sample base and the posted remarks of others here on TFL, the Rugers are far and away the best value for the money. The following is a run-down on our experience with those two Rugers.

Accuracy has run right at 2" at 25 yds from a rest with FMJ's by WWB, PMC,as well as my 200 gr TWC target grade handloads. Triggers have been good at 45 to 6 lbs. out of the box.

Features fulfill what I desire in a carry gun: good combat sights (Novaks), flare mag well, two mags furnished, SS construction, beavertail humped safety for ease of hand placement in the holster, checkered steel back strap, all with a throatted bbl. and ported ejection port. About the only thing I add to them is checkering on the front strap and tritium night sights...and of course for the same price! LOL

But I'll opine that if you intend to carry the piece, as opposed to using it as a range gun, I'd opt for the alloy frame model...the weight difference is significant. I speak from experience in that regard. I'll offer that an even better gun for carry is Sigs C3 or RCS model. This latter is no longer in production but can be found on gunbroker. Either may be a bit more $ than the Rugers but are worth the price.

In a word, the Rugers are about as perfect as I could ask in an all steel production gun. And with them, you get first rate customer service from a company that stands behind its products from day one, not some bogus "break in" regimen that's really designed to see if you'll just go away!
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 5, 2018, 11:36 AM   #9
RickB

Springfield RO.
Old January 5, 2018, 12:10 PM   #10
bassJAM1

Between the Kimber and a Ruger, I'd go for the Ruger. My SR1911 has been flawless since I bought it in 2014. Ruger is one of the few manufactures that consistently give you more for your money. Kimber seems to be overpriced for what you get.
Old January 5, 2018, 12:42 PM   #11
spacemanspiff

My first 1911 was a Kimber TLE, loved that gun. Replaced it with a Colt only because it started to have ejection malfunctions. After a good 15,000 rounds down the pipe. So it wasnt a lemon, it just had wear/tear that was not able to get figured out. I took it to two different gunsmiths, and having been friends of both of those smiths, I think that made them not do their job with 100% effort. One of them simply replaced recoil springs and claimed to have taken it to the range for a function test, saying it didnt have any problems, but when I took it the next weekend, the problem had gotten worse.

So I traded it in for a Colt.

The finish on my Kimber was wearing, but I liked how it looked. If a gun could age gracefully, mine certainly was doing just that.
Old January 5, 2018, 01:34 PM   #12
shootniron

Not hard to find a decent 1911...plenty of companies make them.

And, that includes Kimber...ours have been perfect for a lot of years...but then all of our 1911's from several manufacturer's have been.
Old January 5, 2018, 01:52 PM   #13
Grant D

I have a Kimber ultra crimson carry II and it gets carried quite a bit.
That and my Colt xse lightweight comamder magnum, are my best two 45's
I have three others but these get carried the most.
Old January 5, 2018, 02:10 PM   #14
pblanc

I have heard too many Kimber horror stories to take a chance on one. I am sure that many Kimbers are fine pistols and they certainly look nice.

But I would go with the Ruger, myself. If you ever need warranty service, Ruger is hard to beat.
Old January 5, 2018, 02:52 PM   #15
crusader4x

A Sig 1911 Emperor Scorpion Carry has been my EDC for a couple years now. Other than holster wear (which gives my pistols "character"), I've had ZERO problems.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk
Old January 5, 2018, 03:10 PM   #16
otasan

I have two Springfield Armory M1911A1s. Love 'em.
Old January 5, 2018, 04:41 PM   #17
DubC-Hicks

I think I've pretty much decided on a Ruger of some sort. Wanting to stay $750ish or under, along with traditional internal extractor setup.
Old January 5, 2018, 07:10 PM   #18
BigJimP

The quality of the internal parts is what you need to worry about...Ruger isn't a quality gun.../ but neither is the Kimber....

I would recommend you take a serious look at Springfield and Colt offerings...in terms of triggers and fit and finish ...and internal parts ...they are a much better entry level 1911 - than the options you are looking at. Find the gun youy like the best with the features you want...and the best trigger you can find...( most of the entry level guns are not very good triggers and not quality components ).

Springfield TRP is one of the best guns out there for the money ...but its around $ 1,500 now.../ but it has most all of the features you would want in a solid 1911. It is not the quality of the higher end ...semi-custom guns like Wilson Combat...but the TRP is a very nice gun.
Old January 5, 2018, 07:15 PM   #19
DubC-Hicks

I know Springfield makes good 1911s, but Springfield themselves put a bad taste in my mouth. As well as many other people's. I'm also not going to spend a grand or more on a 1911 that is going to be only a range gun.

The cheaper Colts might be an option, but I've heard QC horror stories with them lately too.
Old January 5, 2018, 07:18 PM   #20
Eazyeach

A Ruger 1911 will serve you well. I used to have a stainless full size and it ran like a scalded dog. Not sure why I sold it, but I sure wish I hadn't.
Old January 5, 2018, 11:18 PM   #21
Charlie98

All the people piling on Kimber tend to forget the '80 era Colt pistols... I had a stainless Colt, it was beautiful, but it was a piece of junk, traded it off for a Springfield. The Springfield had a nasty habit of bouncing empties off my forehead, so I sold it to my brother.... and went out and got a Kimber. I'm not saying Kimber doesn't deserve some criticism, like Colt, for some of the pistols they sent out the door in the mid 2000's... there were issues, but I suspect they have them fixed and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

I also still have my '80's era Colt's Government .380... it too is a loosy-goosy mess, but I like the pistol and it's accurate enough at .380 ranges, but it's not what I would call a stellar example of Colt's workmanship.

Everyone seems to forget about Ruger's problems, too... mainly with revolvers. I've had about 8 Ruger single-actions and NONE of them would shoot worth anything. Ruger revolvers are notorious for having undersized cylinder throats and/or torque bulges in the barrels (like my Lipsey's .44 Flattop does.) I guess I feel about Ruger pistols like some of you feel about Kimber.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old January 5, 2018, 11:42 PM   #22
railroader

I purchased one of the kimber 2 tone fullsize guns in 9mm. It's a really nice gun that runs well. The only thing I did to it was change out the hammer spring for a 19lb one. The bluing on the slide looks great along with the nice stainless frame. It also came with 3 dot sights which are easier for my old eyes to see. I got it for $629 from Smoky mountain Guns and Ammo. They have the 45acp version on sale quite frequently for $599 shipped. This one isn't mine but it looks just like it.

Last edited by railroader; January 5, 2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old January 6, 2018, 12:29 AM   #23
BBarn

Don't have any first hand experience with Kimbers. Have owned an SR1911 for a couple of years. Have owned a few Colts from the '80s and '90s. Also own a SA Range Officer. IME the Rugers are a good choice in their price range, especially if you prefer Series 70 style lockwork.
Old January 6, 2018, 08:23 AM   #24
Kreyzhorse

Hard to go wrong with a Springfield. I have a TRP and a Mil-Spec. Both are excellent guns.
Old January 6, 2018, 10:12 AM   #25
mikejonestkd

IMO its hard to go wrong with a Springfield or a Colt. Both tend to be a step up from Ruger or Kimber in my experience.