The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 12, 2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Archie Otto

very slow trapdoor build

I started this project a couple of years ago from an 1884 trapdoor backet case rifle. I wittled the stock by hand from a chunk of walnut. Installed a buttpad,renegade trigger, sights and guard and ebony nose cap. Green mountain tapered .458 BPCR barrel chambered in .45-70. Trimmed off more wood and added a chunk of Jobillo wood on the butt after I cut the stock too short for the buttpad. The stock design was inspried by the brown bess. Not really sure I have got that down. Now I'm looking at a pouring a pewter nose cap and a nickle silver butt plate and nickle silver hawken trigger guard. The forend is held to the barrel by two bolts through a sling attachment that will be recessed into the stock and maybe the pewter nose cap. Still a bunch of sanding to do and I will finish in danish oil finish.

Old January 12, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Beagle333

Awesome!

Now that is exciting and impressive! I would be walking with my head held very high if I could do something like that.

I get happy just because I'm able to replace a broken hand spring in my 1860 revolver. (that's about my limit).
Old January 12, 2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

First of all...Welcome to the forum

...Then.....Nice work.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Archie Otto

Thanks Beagle but I assure you I am not anywhere as skilled as the real gun builders out there.

Here are some other projects I have done. Don't look too close or you will start laughing at my hack work.

Left to right:
1898 Krag, .30-40 boyds stock and a 1903A3 barrel
1903A3 shilen barrel 6.5-284 win.
1903A3 .35 Whelen, shilen barrel richards microfit stock.
Mark X Charle Daly Zestava .30-338 WM shilem barrel medalist stock.
1929 Persian mauser .338-06 shilen barrel elkridge stock ( the dip in forend was from sanding by hand).
1938 Swedish mauser military 6.5x55 boyds stock
Type 38 arisaka .308 gunshow barrel and stock.