The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 21, 2011, 07:56 AM   #51
HottAK47

quote: "All you armchair gun show experts feel free to document on time that anything negative has ever happened because the defensive weapon was NFA."
I'm not an expert of any kind but will this work? I'm guessing you meant one time, rather than on time.

http://www.myspace.com/Parabellum375/blog/429004650
Old January 21, 2011, 08:59 AM   #52
Skans

Hottak47 - that was a very interesting read! But, I don't think I'll start carrying my AC556 around for protection. A cheap semi-auto AK might not be a bad idea though. I see lots of them around now for under $400.

Better yet, I have an old Remington Woodsman 30-06 with a 20 round magazine - I think that might just be preceived as "politically correct" - full auto not necessary with 30-06.
Old January 24, 2011, 10:10 AM   #53
silvercorvette

I own 3 full auto guns and would use one of them as a last resort. If I had no other option I would use my Uzi because it is my least expensive gun and it is easy to maneuver in a confined area, but my go to gun is the Remington 870. I have a 3 inch 1911 C&L that is always within arms reach but the 870 sits near my bed and since it isn't convenient to carry it around in the house so the 1911 is the gun I would use until I can get to the 870. If I can't get to the 870 I keep loaded next to my bed (full tube empty chamber) I am not worried about the 1911 being able to handle most situations. It never entered my mind to worry about being prosecuted because I chose a F/A to defend myself I just believe the 870 is a better choice tactically. I mentioned in another thread that I did not want to risk anything happening to my gun while it was being stored as evidence awaiting trial. But some people disagreed. I worked as a cop and personally saw the poor conditions that guns were stored, and when I had to surrender my guns after I was injured and couldn't do my yearly qualification I loaded them up with oil and preservatives and put them in a plastic baggie because the building once had a leak in the roof and many items were ruined from the water leak.

Regardless of your choice of weapons whether it is a knife, cast iron frying pan or gun it will be held as evidence till the trial an there is always a risk that the evidence storage in your area may not treat your property as well as you would like it. I also pointed out in another thread that some police departments mutilate guns by etching the case number on the gun using an electric etching tool.

As far as the comment about people that have full auto having a lot of money and can afford a lawyer, I bet most owners are like myself and are just getting by with a small amount of savings with most of their money invested in guns and would have to sell off guns if there was a need of money in an emergency.
Old January 24, 2011, 03:10 PM   #54
Jack_Bauer24

I think excessive force is a good term to remember. Like others have said using a full auto on full auto probably should be used with multiple armed attackers unless no other weapon is available. But when you now for sure your life and that of your family is in mortal danger ALL BETS ARE OFF!!!!!! Like it's said better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Old January 27, 2011, 06:23 PM   #55
myrdraal0

HottAK47 - that was an excellent article and I completely agree that using anything full-auto probably isn't a great idea for a home defense gun.

Heck, I was on a jury about 3 years ago where they tried to convict a guy in a HD situation because he had shot the intruder 4 times with a .25 caliber pistol. The last shot went in sideways and the prosecutor pulled the same crap about it being in the back...

Having said that, I would use a suppressor on an HD gun - purely because I like my ability to hear. It's the same reason I wear muffs at the range.
Old February 1, 2011, 09:07 PM   #56
fireman1291

Sure do. A G19 with Tirant9 suppressor, 15rds of 147grn RangerSXT's, and a surefire X200.

I could care less what anyone thinks, my familys protection is more important than anything. And Ill use the BEST tools at my disposal. In FL, you are very well protected in the event of a home invasion. You are able to defend yourself under law whether they are armed or not, if they are in my home, thats enough reason for me to assume they mean to do myself or my wife harm.
Old February 2, 2011, 09:29 PM   #57
Redbullitt

I am all for the suppressor on my go to rifle and handgun.

No sense in not using them if I have them.

I would like to be able to see and hear as best as possible in the even I actually had to use a weapon for defense.