The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 16, 2012, 02:19 PM   #1
ottoblotto71

thompson 1927-1 buttstock swap?

i have a chance to buy a kahr/auto-ord thompson 1927-1 fairly cheap. it does not have the detachable stock. it would be nice, but it is something i can live without. does anyone know if it can be converted over to a detachable stock model without too much heartache and expence? i never had one and i dont know if it would be a simple matter of a bolt-on or the reciever itself would have to be changed, which wouldnt be worth it at that point. thanks
Old February 16, 2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

There are conversion adaptor plates available that allow installing a detachable 1921/28 stock.

To install you have to remove the large round screw bushing from the bottom of the trigger unit, drill and tap two holes on the flat, then bolt the adaptor plate to the trigger unit.
That adaptor plate forms rails for the detachable stock to slide onto and lock.

The bad part is the adaptor plates are hard to find and expensive these days.

Tommygunner.com sells the adaptor plate, cost $50.00:

http://www.tommygunner.com/pages/accessories/index.htm
Old February 16, 2012, 08:35 PM   #3
ottoblotto71

thanks alot , that doesnt sound too complicated. i am new to this forum and i left a few posts and nobody responded, started feeling like the little fat kid nobody wants to throw the ball to. once again thanks for the expertise and knowledge
Old February 17, 2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

To be more clear.

Once you unbolt the original stock, look in the middle of the flat on the bottom of the trigger group.
There will be a stud sticking up that's threaded.
One of the stock bolts screws into that stud.

Some of these are pinned in and can be easily removed by driving out a cross pin, some are apparently machined as one piece with the trigger group.

If you simply remove the stud, you may have problems with the take down frame latch catching in the hole that's left.
The best way of dealing with either type is to cut or machine it off, making it flush with the flat on the trigger group.
You can machine it off, or cut off with a saw and grind and file it flush.

Then all you have to do is drill and tap the two holes and bolt the adapter plate on with some Loctite on the bolts.
Buy a 1921/28 stock with the attaching "iron" and you're in business.