The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 28, 2011, 12:14 PM   #1
William T. Watts

45ACP doubling/follow down

I inserted a loaded magazine pulled the slide back and release it, subsequently the pistol discharged. Other than the obvious shock and checking for damage in my shop I couldn't belive something like this could happen. I have the Kuhnhausen Shop Manual that I purchase while a student at TSJC that pointed to the problem, Apparently the sear spring had worn and was responsible for the discharge. I made the necessary adjustment to the sear spring and I could not duplicate the follow down after adjustment. Always point a pistol at the ground or down range when cycling a pistol! William
Old December 28, 2011, 01:13 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Yup, I always do. AND, when I am working up a load in semi auto pistols I make a dummy round to see if it feeds. No powder or promer. Then I just pull the bullet and reuse both components. Cheap insurance.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old December 28, 2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Sevens

Good advice, worth sharing. Wrong forum, though.
Old December 28, 2011, 03:24 PM   #4
William T. Watts

While I've already had the discharge/follow down I can't change that, however in the future I will use a dummy round to check for function.. My intention in posting this is to make others aware the unexpected sometimes occurs, luckily the only thing damaged was my pride.. William
Old December 28, 2011, 04:08 PM   #5
chris in va

I'm assuming this is a 1911 platform?
Old December 28, 2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Big Yac

It just goes to show how that no matter if you've been shooting for 1 year or 100 years things can and do happen. Luckily you are one of the those who keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction otherwise this could have been pretty bad. Glad to hear you werent hurt.
Old December 29, 2011, 12:16 AM   #7
William T. Watts

Chris it's a Springfield 1911 A1, I smithed it in 2000 and decided to keep it. I'm fond of the design of 1911, it also happens to fit my hand perfectly, with a minimum of smithing it can be turned into a very accurate handgun. William