The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 19, 2011, 11:24 PM   #26
Jim243

You could use the water volume method, but it would be hard to get that bullet into the case, and we are trying to get internal NET volume.

Any suggestions would be welcome. But I still think that getting a Chrony would be easier.

Jim
Old November 20, 2011, 09:11 AM   #27
jaguarxk120

Finding case volume is very easy, first seat bullet, then fill the case from the flashhole using a medical syringe, when the water comes out the flash hole you just thake a reading off the syringe. You do need one that has the cc gradiuations marked on the side.
Old November 20, 2011, 11:46 PM   #28
Sevens

Quote:
Sevens: you seem hung up on semantics. In saying, "your goals" I meant just that--yours, not mine. That safety is a goal should be obvious and should not have to be repeated ad nauseum in each and every reloading thread. I, for one, do not wish to tailor loads that put unnecessary stress on my handguns. A chronograph is but one more tool to help the reloader. Obviously, Chronos don't measure pressure but, like reading primers, recoil, muzzle blast, ejection, and maybe tea leaves, it provides an indirect or circumstantial indicator of pressure. No one was telling you what your goals should be.
Ahhh, I see you really "got" the tone of my post, smilies and all.

Thanks so much.
Maybe you'll "get" the tone of this one.
(unlikely)
Old November 21, 2011, 02:27 AM   #29
sc928porsche

I guess I have been fortunate in the fact that I have never shot my chrony or any of its parts. Ive had mine since 70 and many 1000's of rounds through it.

I have found it very useful in developing custom loads for each rifle and handgun. My objective is to find the most accurate load with the fastest speed. Sometimes is just a matter of 20-30 fps. I have also discovered that the hottest load has never been the most accurate, although most of mine are much faster than factory ammunition.

Last edited by sc928porsche; November 21, 2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old November 21, 2011, 04:42 AM   #30
Dr. Strangelove

I have the CED M2, and it had really increased my enjoyment and understanding of my handloading hobby.

However, I loaded for 25yrs before I received it as a gift. It's a great tool, but in no way would I call it an absolute necessity for handloading.
Old November 21, 2011, 06:52 AM   #31
hounddawg

I find the chrony useful

For long range rifle a chrony is a must.

Example - 155 gr bullet leaves the barrel at 3000 FPS, when it hits 800 yards it is at 1568 FPS and drops 166 inches. Same bullet same temp leaves the barrel at 2800 FPS it goes through the 800 yard mark at 1425 FPS and has dropped 196 inches. Nice info to have when you are trying to ring the gong at 800

Another consideration for LR is the magic 1.2 mach number. Bullets tend to get real unstable around that point. Not a big deal for a 15 yard pistol shot but if you want to see how that .308 does in F class......

Now if that 15 yard pistol shot is in competition pistol like IDPA or ISPC you have the power factor. Only way to get that data is with a chrony

Powder performance at various temps is another reason. Some are more temperature sensitive than others. That could be useful info for hunters.

As others said there are certainly are not a "have to have" item, but they are pretty cheap these days and even the less expensive work well enough for most needs. I got mine for less than 100 bucks on sale and use my camera tripod to mount it.
Old November 21, 2011, 08:25 AM   #32
Orochimaru

I bought the basic Chrony model not too long ago. I've only had a chance to really put it to work one time, but the information it gave was very valuable. I'm still fairly new to handloading, so I generally don't attempt to "develop" any loads -- I'm more near the middle of the loading range most of the time. However, I did want to get some Berry's Plated running in my 44mag -- but I needed to keep them under the recommended max velocity. There really wasn't an exact recipe, so I had to base my load on the closest thing. Shooting them proved that they were a serviceable round. Using the chrono told me I was still in the safe zone velocity-wise.

I like mine, and I'm glad I bought it. Sure -- I can load without it (and I started out that way), but it does provide some additional data to show what is going on.
Old November 23, 2011, 07:51 AM   #33
federali

Orochimaru...

Eight grains of Unique behind either a plated or cast 240 grain semi-wadcutter makes for a pleasant shooting load in my Super Blackwawk.