The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 18, 2011, 08:40 AM   #1
300magman

250gr 45/70 Bullets @ Midway ?

As everyone here probably knows already, Midway is having a sale on Blemished bullets...BUT, they don't tell you what bullet you are buying, only a generic description such as (.308 bonded, polimer tip 180gr) -> That description could fit several bullets.

Anyway, I saw that they had some .458 250gr bullets in the bulk lot and I thought hey might make fun plinking ammo for my 45/70 (IF they can be loaded in the lever action and function properly)
So does anyone know which bullet this is?? And, is there even a 250gr bullet available for the 45/70....other than the very expensive Barnes?

Yes, I also wrote midway to ask if the bullet in question was suitable to be loaded in the 45/70 but I anticipate some time before they respond...that is why I am asking if anyone here has the information as well. In my experience, forum members tend to be faster in replying than CSRs.
Old July 20, 2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Billy Shears

I don't think I've ever seen a bullet that light loaded into a .45-70. Even the Leverevolution bullets are 325s as I recall. Let us know what Midway says about them if they ever answer. It sounds like something that you might use to reload one of the new .45 caliber AR cartridges rather than the .45-70.