The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 22, 2010, 03:22 PM   #1
legit

Newbie ammo questions

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to buy my first hand gun (plan on taking the NRA safety course shortly after I get it) and I have some questions about ammo.

First off I understand the difference in primers makes ammo corrosive or not, but how can I tell from the packaging if it is corrosive or not?

Secondly, what are the good brands of ammo and the not so great brands?
Old August 22, 2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

It might help to mention which caliber you plan to get. Generally speaking I like using Winchester, CCI, Blazer, Federal and a few others for range use. In a pinch I would also use range ammo for self defense. While it may not be my first choice it is better then nothing at all. You will find most ammo that is re-loadable and made in the past 20 years or more in some cases is not corrosive. There are some no name brands or left over ammo from some military conflict that are corrosive. I suggest just buying common name brand American ammo or if it states it isn't corrosive you might want to try a box to see how it works for you. There are some very good European and former Soviet block ammo makers out there as well.

I shoot some of the most common and lowest price calibers on a regular basis. Those are .22 lr and 9 mm in center fire. The higher priced guns hardly ever get shot any more by me.
Old August 22, 2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Sheikyourbootie

Unless you are shooting pre WW2 ammo, I doubt you have to worry about corrosive ammo.
Old August 22, 2010, 04:21 PM   #4
legit

I'm planning on getting a .40S&W if the store has it, otherwise I'll suffice for a 9mm (the gun I want comes in both)

Also can you explain the difference between range and home defense ammo?
Old August 22, 2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Sheikyourbootie

Range ammo = cheapest stuff that goes bang and cycles your gun reliably that you can get a hold of. Home defense will be brand name jacked hollow points....though, if you get a good deal on home defense stuff there's no reason to not use it at the range.
Old August 22, 2010, 04:28 PM   #6
jhenry

There is no corrosive .40 SW ammunition. Corrosive 9mm still exists on the military surplus market.

Home defense ammo is good quality stuff, new, and designed for personal protection. Most often hollowpoint. Range ammo for me is whatever I want to shoot at paper, or steel, or whatever with for fun or for practice. Usually the least expensive stuff I can find, or reloads. At handgun range, the possible differences in point of impact between the good stuff and cheap range fodder is negligible.
Old August 22, 2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Webleymkv

As far as I know, there is no .40 S&W ammo made that is corrosive as that cartridge was introduce long after corrosive primers had been replaced with non-corrosive ones. While corrosive 9mm ammo has been made, the last corrosive 9mm ammo was manufactured decades ago. Any new-production commercial 9mm ammo should have non-corrosive primers.

Corrosive ammo is really only an issue any more with military surplus ammo. A lot of military ammo on the market now was manufactured and put in storage decades ago when corrosive primers were still in use. Surplus 9mm ammo isn't encountered all that often any more and any that is should be new enough that corrosive primers aren't an issue.

Even if you do somehow get ahold of corrosive ammo, a thourogh cleaning after your shoot it will prevent any problems.
Old August 22, 2010, 05:04 PM   #8
silhouette classics

ammo

Range ammo usually says what it is on the box, especially WinClean Winchester ammo for 9mm. It's generally jacketed roundnose ammunition that's made for target and range use. It's okay for CCL classes that require firing 50 rounds at a time, just not the premium for defense.
In answer to your other question, I prefer CCI and Winchester over Remington ammunition simply because they are loaded a tad hotter. Even in 22 long rifle, I get better results by excluding Remington. Of course, if it shoots softer, you may like it.
Old August 22, 2010, 06:44 PM   #9
MW surveyor

legit -

Hold out for the gun you really want. Don't settle for your second choice especilly if it is a different caliber. If you really want the 40 cal, have your local store order it for you, buy it on line, check other gun shops or just wait until one comes in at the local shop.

Just my $.02 YMMV
Old August 22, 2010, 06:49 PM   #10
Misssissippi Dave

The 9 mm will be cheaper per round to fire then the .40 will be. If you plan to shoot a lot it does make a difference. I can easily find both calibers at Wal-Mart just about any day of the week lately. They seem to have the best prices on ammo around here that works well for shooting steel and paper targets. I prefer Hornady hollow point ammo for self defense. Hollow point ammo reduces the chances of shooting rounds clean through a person and probably hitting someone you didn't plan to shoot. Standard full metal jacket ammo tends to make holes that will go clean through people.
Old August 22, 2010, 07:59 PM   #11
wally626

Range ammo usually refers to cheaper full metal jacket rounds in 9mm and .40. 9mm Blazer will run you about $.20 per round, Hornady XTP Jacketed Hollow Point will run you about $.65 per round. So as you can see for practice cheaper might be better.

A lot of the "range" ammo is also lower power which can help when learning to shoot. However, even if you practice mostly with lower power stuff, make sure to run a significant number of self-defence rounds through the gun both to make sure it functions well with the gun and that you are used to the difference in power. Shooting some Wolf ammo out of a .40 does not feel real much different from shooting a 9mm but stick some Speer Gold Dot in there and the difference really starts to show. 380 or so ft·lbs versus 500 ft·lbs of energy does play a role in the amount of felt recoil.
Old August 23, 2010, 01:05 AM   #12
ClydeFrog

Common US pistol calibers, ammunition sources...

In short, keep pistol ammuntion in a cool, dry place away from bright lights or sunlight. Store the rounds in the factory boxes or plastic MTM cases. I saw a print ad for a top of the line, super duper type ammunition case but unless you are a super billionaire or want to impress people I doubt you'd need it.
For carry, duty or protection rounds you may want to keep the printed reciept or order form(for catalog-web sales) and keep a round or 2 from the box if you or your legal council wants to show the production run or ballistics of the rounds you used in a use of force event(s).
Keep the ammuntion clean and free of oils, moisture or dirt/grit/dust. Check it often. Some sworn LE officers, armed professionals(bodyguards-PIs-security), CC license holders etc switch carry rounds every 3/4/6 months. I use this method. Knowing that my sidearm or firearms are loaded with new, problem free rounds is one less thing to worry about in a use of force event.

For better brands check Remington Golden Saber, Corbon DPX, Winchester Ranger T, PDX-1, Speer Gold Dot, Hornandy, DoubleTap, Buffalo Bore.
Old August 23, 2010, 12:19 PM   #13
ET.

I just want to go on record as saying that I agree with everything that has been posted above. I can't think of any reason why I would reiterate it again here. :barf: