The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 3, 2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Elvishead

410 handgun shells by Fed?

Lets keep this gun brand under rap's and talk about how Federal came up with this round. Please, no Internet expert's

Ok, I never thought of seeing 410 "shotgun shells" for a hand gun.
But, as I sit here talking about it, I was just at Walmart checking out the handgun ammo and only found 44mags, a Federal 410 "handgun" shells.

Well, I can only imagine these are for that one handgun brand, it's is made for 410 shotgun shell's. Ohhh, and I recall it was bird shot.

I was a little surprised to see this, but I didn't want to bring it up on the handgun board because everybody would want to dog the gun it's made for instead of comprehinding the mear fact of the concept of a 410 handgun shell.

Last edited by Elvishead; November 3, 2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old November 3, 2009, 03:58 AM   #2
zippy13

Knowing that there are a lot of those 45 LC/.410-bore handguns (or barrels) out there. I'm not surprised that a ammo manufacturer is trying to capture that share of the .410 market.

If you're an average guy with one of those guns and you're looking for ammo, something labeled as being specifically for your handgun might be appealing. Have you priced .410 shells recently? If you're going to spend the big bucks, you might as well get the ammo best suited to your gun.

Last edited by zippy13; November 3, 2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old November 3, 2009, 04:28 AM   #3
3 gun

You mean the ones they claim are made for self-defense? Not me, no thanks. Sure they're better than rocks and a sling, but not if you name is David

From The Box O' Truth;

Lessons learned:
1. Jack bought this pistol for snakes and it looks like a fine tool for that job.

2. Birdshot, in any gauge, is for little birds.

3. Buckshot out of a .410 does not penetrate enough to be an effective personal defense load.

4. The rifled slug was also a disappointment and did not have enough weight or power or penetration to be effective as a defense load.

5. The .45 Long Colt loads had plenty of penetration and would be the preferred defense load for this pistol.

6. It's fun to bust clays with this pistol.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41_4.htm
Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.
Old November 3, 2009, 05:10 AM   #4
.45 COLT

I serious doubt that they're getting the muzzle velocity advertised out of a revolver. If they are, the four pellet 000 load should be a pretty good SD load.

DC
Old November 3, 2009, 09:09 AM   #5
MTT TL

Quote:
Well, I can only imagine these are for that one handgun brand, it's is made for 410 shotgun shell's.

Quote:
talk about how Federal came up with this round

Quote:

everybody would want to dog the gun it's made for instead of comprehinding the mear fact of the concept of a 410 handgun shell.
Old November 3, 2009, 09:22 AM   #6
oneounceload

Remember, TC also has barrels for that loading, not just some unnamed Brazilian S&W imitator
Old November 3, 2009, 02:06 PM   #7
MTT TL

There are a number of derringers as well as Magnum Research BFR (an all around great gun) and the Thunder Five. The .410 was not made for any of them. .410s are used for hand guns and long guns and not either in particular. Some states say that if it fits in a commonly available handgun it is handgun ammo. Nonsensical I know but when are governments ever made to make sense.

Federal did not invent it.
Old November 4, 2009, 02:07 AM   #8
Elvishead

Quote:
There are a number of derringers as well as Magnum Research BFR (an all around great gun) and the Thunder Five
I guess I didn't think of those guns. I just wonder what is different about the handgun shell. Maybe they glue the pellets together.
Old November 4, 2009, 03:48 AM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The .410 was not made for any of them. .410s are used for hand guns and long guns and not either in particular. Some states say that if it fits in a commonly available handgun it is handgun ammo. Nonsensical I know but when are governments ever made to make sense.

Federal did not invent it.
No one is claiming otherwise. HOWEVER, Federal has released some .410 loadings recently that they claim are specially designed for use in handguns.

http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...ot.aspx?id=848
Federal introduces two 2-1/2" loads designed especially for The Judge. A special hull design and optimal payloads make these loads perfect for this gun. Choose between a 1/2-oz #4 or 4 pellet 000 buck option-either way the performance will be there.
Quote:
Well, I can only imagine these are for that one handgun brand, it's is made for 410 shotgun shell's. Ohhh, and I recall it was bird shot.
No need to imagine, Federal states directly on their website that it was designed for the Judge.

Looks like they have a birdshot loading (4 shot) and a buckshot loading (000).
Quote:
I serious doubt that they're getting the muzzle velocity advertised out of a revolver.
Good call. Looks like it is running somewhere around 850fps from a Judge with a 2.5-3"bbl. Penetration is supposed to be between 10" & 12" which is not great but is what I would call adequate.

So about a 240-250gr payload at around 850fps--something close to a .45ACP in terms of energy/recoil but obviously not the same level of penetration. It looks like what Federal gives you over other typical 000 buckshot loadings in .410 is a fourth pellet without too much velocity penalty. They may have also done something to improve the penetration since the penetration figures for this loading out of the Judge seem to exceed what I've seen from tests of conventional 000 loadings also out of the Judge. For example, these numbers are about 2.5 times deeper than what the Box O Truth measured with the .410 000 loadings they tested in a Judge.

I wouldn't classify a .410 handgun as a great self-defense weapon, but I think it's hard to argue that this loading would surely be ineffective where any other typical self-defense handgun caliber would clearly do the job.
Old November 4, 2009, 07:38 AM   #10
MTT TL

Curious. I need to get my secret TFL de-coder ring working.

Anyway, were they able to overcome the donut-ing issue with the rifling in the barrel and the birdshot? It would be pointless if you can't hit anything past 15 feet.
Old November 4, 2009, 10:19 PM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

The review I saw in Handguns commented favorably on the patterns achieved out to 30 feet (the limit of their testing).

The review did not include any testing with the #4 loading and all the comments in my previous post related ONLY to the 000 loading.