The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

suggestions for truck case for my folder project ???

the purpose of this shot gun , is basically the same as the colapsable fishing pole... something I could leave in the truck all the time, ( the case would not scream "gun stored in here" ), for times that unexpected hunting opportunities might come up... I'm either putting a poly choke or setting it up for choke tubes, but want to be able to keep everything needed to hunt anything from Doves to Deer ( might be a stretch I know )... ( the barrel will be trimmed shorter to match the length of the stock )

I'm thinking a zippered bag, that has some pockets on the outside for a couple of different shot shells & a few slugs, maybe choke tubes, if I decide to add choke tubes, choke tube lube, etc.

I want it to not scream "gun here!!!" & a soft padded case could slip under the back seat, or behind the drivers seat ( right next to that "anytime fishing pole" )

I've just begun looking, but this gun folds into a pretty tight package, & I want the bag to fit it snugly ( barrel will be final trimmed to aproximately 22-23" ) so far these are the two I've found that best fits the bill... the BullDog has internal pockets, & comment are pretty negitive on quality, & the SKB is pretty nice, but does look like a gun case... anyone have any suggestions ??? ( links would be great ) these are the two I've found so far, that best fit the size...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=287620

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=324229

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; October 29, 2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old October 29, 2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Sam06

MWM, I have the SKB case and its nice. I keep my Ithaca SKB 500 in it. It is a take down over and under case. It has 2 compartment one over the other. You put you shock/reciever in the bottom one and the barrels in the top. I do not store my gun in it but use it to carry the gun to the range or hunting.

I keep a beat up old 870 in my truck. I got the gun without a barrel. A guy ran it over and I bought a vent rib 26" barrel for it. I had a ploy choke put on it and it cut down to 22" to include the choke. Its a very compact gun, functions good but its kind of ugly. The Poly choke works good but the gun patterns a little low for me. I can hit with it. My 1100 that i shoot in 3 gun games has one on it also. I have the vented one on it. It works very good and is nice for when I have a string of long shots to make.

I keep the 870 in the truck 24/7. I have an extra cab PU. Under the back seat I have a small Safe with ammo and a 357 mag. I have a nylon "dog Seat cover" over the seat and behind the cover I hang the 870. Its hung by 2 nylon straps tied to the rear seat head rests. The gun is handy but you cannot see it.

With a folding Shotgun like that I would look at maybe a fishing pole case or a pool stick case. Its going to look like something but you could "mis-direct" their attention. I think keeping the gun out of a case is the best thing. It will not keep moisture next to the gun that way. So far in 8 years(I had the gun in another truck) I have not had the 870 rust on me. I clean it by wiping it down when I clean my truck each month.
Old October 29, 2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

been thinking about "coating" the barrel, even considered sending the whole thing in for electroless nickel, but I like the case colored ( tiger striped )reciever, so might as well send the barrel out for reblue... was thinking of a couple packets of disectant in what ever bag I end up with, & wiping the gun down every few weeks, but it would be nice if it were as "maintenance free" as my stainless GP-100...

BTW... as a Contender collector, I thought Thompson Center might have something for a long barreled handgun that might fit the bill, but I was not impressed with what they had to offer...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; October 29, 2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Sam06

I wonder if this would hold the gun. It looks like what it is. I like the 2nd one best

http://www.pooldawg.com/product/acti...-pool-cue-case

http://www.pooldawg.com/product/luca...-pool-cue-case
Old October 29, 2009, 06:07 PM   #5
IrvJr

MagnumWheelMan - Have you checked out the baseball bat bags at your local sports store? Depending on the folded length of your gun, you probably could get a good quality bat bag and use it to store the shotgun and other accessories.

http://www.homerunmonkey.com/homerun...maker-bag.html
Old October 29, 2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Sam06

+1 BBall Bag

I like the Base ball Bag Idea. That's a good one.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks guys... both SAM's 2nd link, & the bat bag are very good options, that I did not think of... The bat ba is maybe a little larger than what I was looking for, but would also offer the space for an orange vest & hat, & maybe a few other accesories, & as far as I know, Rawlings never made guns good "camo" anyone else ???
Old October 30, 2009, 01:53 PM   #8
MTT TL

Cases are one of the first things stolen out of a vehicle. I would shop around for a warning triangle case that it would fit. Nobody will likely steal a warning triangle.
Old October 30, 2009, 02:13 PM   #9
Joat

One of those expandable blueprint cases might work. Or something like this.

Joat
Old October 30, 2009, 04:39 PM   #10
Lee Lapin

Wonder if a 'spare barrel' case for an M-60 barrel would fit it?

http://www.omahas.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=910

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old November 2, 2009, 07:18 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

those are both great suggestions... thanks