The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 7, 2008, 02:40 PM   #1
Arkhog

Are Smith and Wesson sideplate screws the same?

I accidently knocked around my sideplate screws for my 66-1. After cleaning out the internals and putting the sideplate on I think I may have the front screw and the one behind the trigger guard reversed.

They look the same outside of the gun. Laying on the table I can't tell the difference between the two. However, the front screw seems seated too deep and the screw behind the trigger guard seems raised.

I am not sure. Opinions?
Old October 7, 2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Playboypenguin

The screws can be different. Many of mine have different screws in different locations. Ones that reside under the grips are more shallow with a flatter head and the exposed ones are taller and more rounded.
Old October 7, 2008, 04:48 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

At one time, the three lower screws were identical, and a shallow notch cut in the grips to accommodate the head of the rear one. Then they began to make that screw with a flat head, so its place was now obvious, but the other screws were still identical. Then they decided to use a different size screw for the front, where it is also the retaining screw for the crane.

Even when the screws appear identical, one has a flat point at the side of the tip, and the tip itself may be a tad shorter; that is the front screw. If another screw is put in its place, the crane may bind and the cylinder will be hard to open.

Jim
Old October 7, 2008, 09:47 PM   #4
Arkhog

Thanks

Quote:
Even when the screws appear identical, one has a flat point at the side of the tip, and the tip itself may be a tad shorter; that is the front screw. If another screw is put in its place, the crane may bind and the cylinder will be hard to open.

Jim

I removed both screws again. For the ever-lovin' life of me they look exactly the same and neither one of them has a flat point near the tip. I reversed them. There seems to be no change in look or function. I give up.