The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 24, 2008, 07:17 AM   #26
parrothead2581

PBP,

The Fenix website doesn't mention the tactical tailcap changing anything.

I'm guessing soft pressing will still change the output, so if you flash someone once, the next time you do it, it will be with the next setting. So, you can just 215 lumen and disco strobe them into submission.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:55 PM   #27
sylathnie

I have a few fenix flashlights and I love all of them. The P3D is definitely not a tactical flashlight. I carry one every day and it's a perfect EDC flash light. The tactical flashlight you are looking for is the TK10. I just recently purchased one and I am very very impressed. I has an excellent beam patter and really lights up a room.

I would also suggest and LOD-CE. It's just a fun little tiny light. There's nothing like turning on a flashlight the size of a AAA battery and having it pump out 75 lumens.
Old May 24, 2008, 11:10 PM   #28
Playboypenguin

sylathnie

Quote:
The P3D is definitely not a tactical flashlight. I carry one every day and it's a perfect EDC flash light. The tactical flashlight you are looking for is the TK10. I just recently purchased one and I am very very impressed.
Geez, thanks a lot. Now I just ordered two of those two. I will give that to my brother-n-law and use the P3D's a father's day gifts.
Old May 24, 2008, 11:35 PM   #29
sylathnie

Don't give it away just yet... I wouldn't go anywhere without my P3D. It's still an excellent flashlight and it could be tactical in a pinch. I can carry it through security without a problem. The crenelations on my TK10 might get a second look.
Old May 25, 2008, 07:27 AM   #30
parrothead2581

The TK10 looks like a step in the right direction for Fenix. The attachment of the TK10 via allen head screws is an improvement over the T1. However, I do wish they stuck with the orange peel reflector from the T1.

I do wish they would update the description for it though; it certainly does not have a throw of 200 meters
Old May 26, 2008, 03:45 AM   #31
Axion

The TK10 is definitely the tactical light in the Fenix line up and I will purchase one soon. In the meantime however leaving a P3D or L2D on turbo mode makes it a pretty decent tactical light as well.

To answer another question. Yes the tactical switch does allow for momentary on and yes if you push it twice within a second or two you will cycle through the modes.

However,

With the bezel in the turbo setting there are only two modes to cycle through, constant on and strobe both of which being full brightness. Furthermore if you wait approximately 1.5 seconds between button pushes the system resets and you will get constant on each time. In the rare case where you push the button twice in quick succession you can either use the strobe mode, which is still useful, or just quickly push the button once again to get constant on again.

In summation, the TK10 is clearly the best tactical light, but the option for lower level modes really extend the battery life and make the more EDC oriented lights like the P3D very attractive. The fact that they can also be used as tactical lights in a pinch is icing on the cake.
Old May 26, 2008, 03:48 AM   #32
Axion

Quote:
However, I do wish they stuck with the orange peel reflector from the T1
According to the description and picture here (https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...roducts_id=438)
it does. Maybe they updated it.
Old May 26, 2008, 07:38 AM   #33
parrothead2581

Quote:
According to the description and picture here (https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...roducts_id=438)
it does. Maybe they updated it.
Maybe you're right. I had been told it was different, but that could have been wrong!
Old May 26, 2008, 09:27 AM   #34
sylathnie

I just purchased my TK10 last week and it does have a light orange peel finish.
Old May 26, 2008, 09:37 AM   #35
parrothead2581

Quote:
I just purchased my TK10 last week and it does have a light orange peel finish.
Excellent. Thank you sylathnie!
Old May 26, 2008, 12:04 PM   #36
fisherman66

The most impressive torch they have IMO is the LOD Q4. The things about the size of a Maglight Solitaire are pumps out 75 lumens. That's just incredible for such a tiny thing. Great run time too for a fully regulated AAA light.
Old May 28, 2008, 05:46 PM   #37
Axion

Hey Playboy you get your lights yet? How do you like them?
Old May 28, 2008, 05:48 PM   #38
Playboypenguin

I got the two P3D's and I must say that they are awesome. They exceeded all of my expectations.

They have no momentary on function but they click on very easily and they are as bright as heck. I blinded myself twice last night just from the reflection of the beam from my patio door. The rear switch only needs the lightest touch to switch to strobe mode too. More touch sensitive than it is an actual click.

I liked them so much I ordered another one of the P3D's (so I can have one in each vehicle) when I ordered the two TK10's.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:32 PM   #39
fisherman66

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...roducts_id=348

They have both black and orange tac switches for $9.

With 10440 lithium cells the L0D Q4 should get around 120 lumens in one of the smallest AAA lights around. That's a pocket rocket.
Old May 29, 2008, 09:22 PM   #40
Super Trucker

I have and carry a surefire e2e daily, I would have no problem to recommend surefire to anybody.
Old June 6, 2008, 09:44 AM   #41
bikerbill

Hey, PBP, before you get the 6p take a look at the 9p ... it's a three-cell design, just a cell's length longer but with added power ... mine is my nightstand light and it is amazing ... when we had a power outage a while back my wife grabbed our huge old 3-cell Mag-Lite and the 9p threw about twice the light ... amazing ... to add to the mix, picked up a 2-cell G2 yest for $36 for a trip we're planning later this summer ... tons of light, strong and cheaper than their metal models .. and it takes the more powerful bulb ...
Old June 6, 2008, 09:46 AM   #42
bikerbill

never mind
Old June 6, 2008, 05:13 PM   #43
Revelation76

Another suggestion for anyone-Surefire G3 Nitrolon

My favorite setup without going completely insane, budget wise.

The Surefire G3 Nitrolon is 105 Lumens for 60min- 59.00

With a 27.00 additional lens (P91) - 200 Lumens for 20min.

Spare lens carrier that also holds 6 batteries, and is waterproof (nice) 17.00

TOTAL 103.00 Free shipping Surefire.com

It's 1 1/2 inches longer than the G2 because it uses three batteries instead of two. I've found that ordering right from the Surefire website is best, as long as you order everything at once. Free shipping if it's over 100.00 and usually only 5.00 (for me) on anything under 100.00.

It's a high quality plastic (Nitrolon) that knocks the price down 20.00 from the metal 9P model, and won't show the signs of age as much as the metal since there's no black paint to wear off. It's also 1 ounce lighter, and won't feel cold when using it in the wintertime. Not really an issue where I live though.

I love mine and have wasted so many batteries just playing with it!
Good deal on batteries from Surefire.com also....
Now I want the Surefire 8NX Commander- It's rechargeable....
Old June 24, 2008, 04:25 AM   #44
fitfighter81

I carry the Surefire E2 Defender off duty, great little light, The dual striking pomel is a nice feature in a CQ situation. For me the standard bulb is more than enough.
Old June 24, 2008, 01:07 PM   #45
Jermtheory

since when is the TLR-1 120 lumens?last i heard they were only 80(up from 60).

i personally love the SF-G2L and G3L for hand helds.i have the lock-out tailcap on my G3L...use it all of the time.

mounted lights(excellent to have imo btw)...

SF-X300,i have a couple and another on the way,very pleased with them.

i trust SF,even if i do pay a little more for the name.
Old June 24, 2008, 08:18 PM   #46
Incognito

Shockproof high-flux LED (up to 80 lumens)

Yep, your right, my bad

Quote:
mounted lights(excellent to have imo btw)...
trust SF,even if i do pay a little more for the name.
Absolutely
Old June 24, 2008, 10:19 PM   #47
Jermtheory

dont hear that often.

it is a good light...just doesnt give me the warm fuzzies like the SF @110.