The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 13, 2007, 08:43 AM   #1
karagmile

dollar for dollar

i'm trying to track down some information on crescent arms, crescent-davis, a h fox, and hartford arms. what date did they go out of business, or were sold? what price was paid, or value of assets as assessed? and how many shares were outstanding (available for sale) in all, if any? thanks all!
Old March 13, 2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Here's what I've got:

Crescent Firearms was in business in Norwich, Conn from 1888 to 1893.

It was merged with N.R. Davis in the early 1900's by H&D Folsom to form Crescent-Davis.

In early 1930, Savage Arms bought Davis-Warner from Folsom.
In late 1930 Savage bought Crescent Firearms Norwich Conn, and formed a new Crescent-Davis Arms Corp of Norwich.
Crescent-Davis operated independently of J. Stevens Arms Co.

In 1933 the company moved Crescent-Davis assets to Chicopee Falls, MA and allowed the state of Connecticut to have the buildings in lieu of taxes owed.

Mr. A.H. Fox started up in 1896 in Baltimore, MD.
After this Fox was hired by Baltimore Gun Co from 1900 to 1903.
After this Fox formed the Philadelphia Gun Co where predecessors to the Fox brand guns were made.

Fox went on to form the A.H. Fox Gun Co in 1905, which remained in business until 1930.
Savage Arms of Utica bought the company and produced guns under the Fox name until 1942 when all Fox guns except the cheaper Model B series guns were discontinued.

Fox brand guns continued to be assembled by Savage from left over parts as late as the 1960's.

Hartford Arms company was in business from 1929 until 1932.
In 1932 the company was bought by High Standard Mfg Co.
Old July 25, 2007, 10:43 AM   #3
karagmile

thanks for the reply, dfaris, but i already knew that... i'm after more specifics. failing that, a source that might have the info, say a good, detailed company history?
Old July 25, 2007, 03:11 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

AFAIK, there were no histories of any of those except for some info on Fox. The kind of detail you want could only be found in the old records of the state and county where the companies were located, and that is a monumental and expensive research task. Good luck if you choose to tackle the job, but it won't be easy.

Jim
Old July 26, 2007, 10:29 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...The kind of detail you want..." I'd be surprised if that info is available even in State and County records. Prices paid etc. usually aren't for public consumption.