The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 28, 2005, 11:19 PM   #1
farmall

Bolt action with tube magazine

A coworker is looking for a bolt action 12 or 20 guage with a tube magazine. Nearly all I've seen have a box mag. He wants it to use as a slug gun for deer, and does not want a box magazine that can be lost in the field. Also wants a name brand, not some oddball, like Kessler, Belknap, ect. Where on earth did all the bolt shotguns go? I hit 3 gunshops and 1 good sized gunshow, and have yet to find a shotgun that will fulfill his needs.
Thanks, Andy
Old September 29, 2005, 01:18 AM   #2
brandx

The old bolt action shotguns aren't all that strong, I don't think I would trust them with slugs.
I have read that Browning makes an A-Bolt in 12ga.
If he's trying to save money, how about an NEF single shot or a Maverick(entry level Mossberg pump gun). A little more money will get him a semi-auto. All of them will shoot slugs, just match the slug type to the barrel choke.
Old September 29, 2005, 06:23 AM   #3
Jack O'Conner

GunsAmerica.com is a good place to look. Mossberg made a tube magazine bolt action shotgun for several decades but ceased production of this model about 35 years ago. I once had a 16 gauge with twist adjustable choke in this model. It shot quite well at the trap range.

Marlins always had the clip magazine and they're fairly easy to find.

I never heard anything bad about bolt action shotguns. They're not popular because of the way they look and handle. But mechanically sound.
Jack
Old September 29, 2005, 06:07 PM   #4
gfen

Are the current production Savage shotguns box or tube?

Bears investimagating..