The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 13, 2005, 02:21 PM   #1
stephen426

What type of sights do you like best and why?

I know that different types of sights are good for different things so I guess I had better narrow this down to combat pistols. The sights I have seen include plain black on black, 3 dot, Sig's bar/dot (Stovenhagen?), Glocks goal post/dot, and ghost rings.

I've heard that the 3 dot is best for overall accuracy and that ghost rings are fastest for target acquisition. I feel that the bar/dot system allows rapid sight acquisition along the horizontal axis but is slower for vertical alignment. The black on black is hardest IMHO for rapid sight acquistion and difficult to use on dark targets. I like Glock's sights as they allow pretty rapid target acquisition but they are definately not for fine target shooting.

If you guys want, feel free to comment on laser or red dot sights. I know red dots are the preferred sight for IPSC type competitions.
Old June 13, 2005, 03:02 PM   #2
stevelyn

Three Dot tritium by Meprolight or Trijicon. Never used XS, but I suspect they're just as good.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old June 13, 2005, 03:16 PM   #3
stephen426

I have seen 3 dot night sights that have a different color front sight. Do you think it makes that much difference or should you be able to tell simply by pointing the gun that the front dot is not in the middle. I think when the poop hits the fan, you had better have enough trigger time to put a few rounds in the general direction of the threat just by point shooting.

Anyone have opinions on taping the sights to practice point shooting? I know bullseye shooting is practically worthless in combat applications... Sir, please stand perfectly still while I assume the Weaver stance and aim at you. I've read that people can point at objects reasonably accurately with their index fingers. In other words, pick an object in the room, close your eyes, and point to where you think it is. Open your eyes to confirm.

Has any heard of keeping your index finger along the side of the gun and pulling the trigger with your middle finger? I know you only have your 4th and 5th finger on the grip but the other hand compensates. I found this to be a VERY quick way to acquire my target and accuracy was acceptable. you might not put one right between the eyes but a few hits center of mass ought to slow someone down.

Please share any thoughts or experience you might have on this.
Old June 13, 2005, 03:57 PM   #4
wayneinFL

I like the truglo tfo sights I got from midwaya few months ago. they're fiberoptic, and glow bright in the sun, but they have a tritium insert behind the fiber to make the sight glow at night. Neat. Bright during the day and at night.
Old June 13, 2005, 06:48 PM   #5
k9lwt

I think it depends on what you are using the sights for. I like Trijicons, etc. as an all purpose sight on a combat/protection gun. Laser sights are good and fast as well as fiber optic front sights as long as it's bright out.

Point shooting is something that will come with practice and repetition. At one point, you'll realize that you actually put a tight group on target without looking at your sights. Take your time getting there, as you want the rounds to go where they should.
Old June 13, 2005, 07:32 PM   #6
stephen426

k9lwt,

Welcome to the forum. I wish I had more time to practice. I used to go once a week when I was younger. That was almost 10 years ago. I'm luck if I make it out every 6 times a year. I need to find a job that is less time consuming!
Old June 13, 2005, 07:52 PM   #7
45 Fu

I prefer any sight that I can see

Seriously, I like the Glock sights. They just seem quicker for me. As my eyes age I am thinking about getting a fiber optic front sight but leaving the rear sight stock. I don't like night sights because they are hard for me to pick up as easily in bright light. Unless we are talking contact distance, I want to use my sights and to do that I want them easy to be seen.

For target shooting the black on black works fine.
Old June 13, 2005, 07:57 PM   #8
Marko Kloos

My favorite sight picture is a vertically stacked dot-on-bar configuration, like SIG's Von Stavenhagen pattern, Ashley Express sights, or Heinie Straight 8s. The human eye can align a vertical pattern quicker than a horizontal one, and I find that to be true for me.

The Glock "ball in a cup" sight picture is not too bad, either, since it's a variation of the vertical stacking principle.

I've been moving away from the three-dot pattern. It works fine at the range, but it's less quick to line up at speed when compared to a vertical stack sight picture.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old June 13, 2005, 08:06 PM   #9
stephen426

I like the Sig sights as well since the horizontal alignment is very quick. I just find it harder to line up vertically as I have to get the black rear sights level with the black front sight on a black bullseye target. In a combat situation, I guess it doesn't matter if you hit the bad guy in the nose or between the eyes. I'm somewhat proficient with my Sig but I sometimes get vertical shot patterns when I try to shoot quickly. The horizontal line up is usually within 1 - 1.5 inches though.
Old June 13, 2005, 10:57 PM   #10
kirkcdl

I have a Steyr S40 with a trapezoidal sight system.Although it took a while to get used to it,I much prefer it over all others,and I find it's the quickest at reacquiring the target,especially moving targets(like a can bouncing down an embankment).It works substantially better for me.
Old June 14, 2005, 07:17 AM   #11
tlm225

Trijicon or Meprolight night sights for defense/combat. I find that I do a little better on targets at distance (25 yards) if I spray them with sight black. This seems to sharpen them up and provide better contrast on paper.
Old June 14, 2005, 08:27 AM   #12
Vic303

I am a big fan of the XS dot/bar with the wide-V rearsite. I find it very easy to line up fast & has the nice addition of being able to 'see' more of the target & its surroundings due to the wide-V. For a carry pistol I think it is ideal. For me, they shoot better with less work on my part (we're talking CQB distances here, not target shooting. They are a less 'accurate' sight system).
YMMV
Old June 14, 2005, 08:58 AM   #13
Jack Malloy

On .45s I am fond of the old King Tappan sights.
I generally prefer fixed sights , but having bought a fixed sight .357 that shoots one foot high and six inches to the left, I am starting to see why some of the old timers preferred adjustables, LOL...
Old June 14, 2005, 09:23 AM   #14
just one question

well

I prefer laser grips
Old June 14, 2005, 06:00 PM   #15
Bob F.

Just had 'smith order a set of Mepro night sights for my primary carry piece.
Old June 14, 2005, 06:09 PM   #16
stephen426

Does anyone know if someone makes bar-dot night sights where the bar and dot are different colors? I think that would be a great system. Three dot is slower to line up horizontally than bar-dot.
Old June 14, 2005, 06:11 PM   #17
jonathon

I'm with Marko, 'cept I really love the factory Glock sights for some odd ball reason...
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old June 14, 2005, 11:37 PM   #18
kymasabe

I was told recently that there was a gov't study on sights and they found that the green/orange combo was the most effective with the orange in front. They found that having two colors worked better for most shooters and that the orange front sight and green rear sights were the most effective.