The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 2, 2012, 01:28 PM   #1
AndyWest

My poor little Taurus 94

A while back I bought an abused, homeless Taurus 94 and nursed it back to health, or so I thought. Bore was shiny and clean, cone looked smooth. Yesterday I shot around 100 rounds of CCI ("AR tactical", jacketed 375 pack). Accuracy seemed OK but I was only working on my double pull at ~8 yds. But when I went to clean it, I found semi-circular lead flakes again! Should I expect this or is there something potentially worse going on like misalignment?
Old December 2, 2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Skadoosh

Sounds like your cylinder timing is off. Timing is critical on a revolver. I wouldn't shoot that gun until I got it checked by a competent/qualified gunsmith
Old December 2, 2012, 01:51 PM   #3
weblance

Can you tell where its leading? Barrel, Cylinder or Forcing Cone? Reason I ask is I recently bought a 2" stainless 94. I ordered it and when it came, the cylinder machining was so badly done(drilled, but never factory polished)that I wanted it sent back to the distributor for another one. The shop refused and told me to send it to Taurus. Long story short, I decided to polish the cylinder myself, and have reduced the leading considerably. Just food for thought.
Old December 2, 2012, 02:15 PM   #4
AndyWest

The lead flakes came from the barrel. I didn't notice particular nastiness from the cone or cylinder but I wasn't looking there as much. Overall when cleaning there was much lead and copper confetti. If it's likely a misalignment / timing issue I may be more comfortable literally trashing it. I got it cheap and abused, as I said, so it wouldn't be a huge loss to put safety first. Thoughts?

Thanks
Old December 2, 2012, 08:39 PM   #5
weblance

Try using a stainless tornado brush in the barrel. If the rifling is so rough that its leading the barrel, smoothing the rifling a bit will help.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Venom1956

It's most likely a timing issue. My first revolver (taurus) had timing issues but also check each cylinder hole, one of mine was drilled wwaaaaaaaaaaay out of spec with cause it to strike the forcing cone. I didn't notice it then but now its completely obvious. That was the gun that started my taurus hate How'd that clear QC?!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 3, 2012, 12:04 AM   #7
AndyWest

OK, well now I'm convinced the thing isn't safe. I wouldn't sell it to anyone but do you suppose a smith could use it for parts? Maybe in exchange for something minor like a zeroing, polishing, etc?
Old December 3, 2012, 12:23 AM   #8
Bill DeShivs

It more than likely can be repaired and made perfectly safe.
Old December 3, 2012, 12:46 AM   #9
IDAHOMIKE

Pardon me for buttin' in, but I can always use cheapies for my holster work. I might be willing to buy on a no fire basis if the price were right.
Old December 3, 2012, 03:45 AM   #10
warningshot

Quote:
Should I expect this or is there something potentially worse going on like misalignment?
I'd say it's certain to expect the obvious potentially worse signals.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Skadoosh

Andy, did you complete the recommended checks before buying this revolver?

http://thefiringline.com/Misc/librar...ver-check.html
Old December 3, 2012, 12:08 PM   #12
mega twin

I would use the lifetime warranty.
Old December 3, 2012, 04:39 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

I keep reading that Taurus' customer service has improved, so you should try them. Give them a call and ask them to send a shipping ticket/label and see what happens. While there may be a problem that can be a DIY fix, I suspect an out of spec forcing cone or misaligned chamber, neither of which is practical for home repair.

Jim