The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 5, 2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Firepower!

How good is Galil?

Let us discuss Galil SAR 5،56 in detail. How good is this weapon? The key aspects I am concerned about are the accuracy, reliability, and it comparison to a Kalashnikov (is it an improvement over it and how?) and to a M4/16.

Additionally I wanted to know why did the Isrealis phased it out?

I will post pictures of mine when delivered.
Old April 5, 2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

Israel phased the Galil be cause we (USA) were giving them M-16s. Why build great rifles when someone wants to give you ok rifles for free?

As far as accuracy and reliability, it uses the Kalashnikov style gas/feed system (as reliable as it gets). In addition, the rifle weighs around ten pounds and fires a lighter bullet than the AK making it more controllable.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Michael A. Le Lack

Reliable?

I never leave home without it!
Old April 5, 2009, 11:12 PM   #4
rkba_net

Actually the Galil has issues with the desert environment (so does the FAL which is one of the reasons for designing the Galil) AND Israeli soldiers preferred the M4 Carbine...
Old April 6, 2009, 09:54 AM   #5
Firepower!

Quote:
Actually the Galil has issues with the desert environment (so does the FAL which is one of the reasons for designing the Galil) AND Israeli soldiers preferred the M4 Carbine...
So you are saying that Galil that is based on AK system has issues with sand, but M4 is prefered? It does not make sense becuase in sand M4 is the last weapon I would take. I am sure the IDF know better than I.
Old April 8, 2009, 04:54 AM   #6
B. Lahey

Nice!

How does it shoot?
Old April 8, 2009, 10:25 AM   #7
rkba_net

The M4 is just fine in the desert... with proper maintenance... "Based on the AK"... means nothing as far as reliability goes... all it takes are a few minor differences to make a reliable weapon into an unreliable one. I am not saying the Galil is not reliable... just that it was not as reliable as the IDF wanted... Soldiers always prefer the weapons of the enemy.. it is natural... all of our favorite weapons have issues some worse than others...

M1 Garand - the bolt would freeze the the rain... the reason was never really figured out... hence the addition of a roller on the M14.

M14 - uncontrolable in full-auto... whenthere was a real need for a selet-fire rifle.

M16 - not enough stopping power... but the Russian were very impressed with the caliber.. so they designed the 5.45x39mm.

M60 - IMHO total piece of ****... bolt fractures, rivets in the reciever loosing (the fix was to WELD it), too easy to reassemble the trigger group wrong, the gas system has to be wired in place (or it loosens under fire)... the bipod is on the barrel (moronic!)... so you get to carry a bipod with every barrel... and the bipod is too far forward as it hampers raking fire (you have to move the weapon right and left).

AK47 - too short a sight radus, poor trigger, poor ergonomics... takes two hands to change a mag, no bolt hold open device... too short a stock (with body armor)... some of these are corrected in OTHER countries version of the AK.
Old April 14, 2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Willie Lowman

Is that a Israeli Galil or a South African one?

And.. umm... range report?
Old May 9, 2009, 04:40 AM   #9
lolilu1

Galil

I had a full auto Galil ARM it was made well other then that it was only ok. Not well thought out as far as i was concerned. to front heavy. forend was boxy because the bipod fits in the forend. I'll take any Valmet over any Galil anyday. I've had both i was a class 3 dealer for 12 yrs.
Old October 3, 2012, 05:23 AM   #10
freedash22

Galil ACE

Here in the Philippines our government, in the last few months, tested the 5.56 Galil ACE carbine for a limited purchase contract to replace ageing Elisco M16 rifles of a few precincts. It did not pass due to the firing pin breaking after firing approximately 2000 rounds.
Old October 3, 2012, 06:58 AM   #11
spacecoast

Quote:
AK47 - too short a sight radus...
Are you sure about that?

Old October 4, 2012, 11:37 AM   #12
5.56RifleGuy

I like my Galil, but its pretty darn front heavy. Never fired a full auto one, but that may be an advantage in full auto fire.
Old October 4, 2012, 05:24 PM   #13
testuser

Hmm...well FAL was dropped for the Galil, Galil was dropped for the M16/M4, and now the M16/M4 is being phased out for the Tavor.

It seems like each weapon is successively lighter and/or more compact. Even the 20 inch M16 is 1 lbs lighter than a Galil.

A Tavor with an 18 inch barrel is the same length as an M4 with a 14 inch barrel.

http://www.israel-weapon.com/default...4e1e40d0422%7D
Old October 4, 2012, 11:54 PM   #14
David Hineline

M14 controllability

M14 controllability, to hard are you sure about that.

http://myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/14.wmv
Old April 22, 2013, 11:17 AM   #15
Railcar

I absolutely LOVE my galil. 1 of 3 crown jewels of my collection. I spent a ton on it, but it holds a special place in the collection. One of the most reliable firearms I have ever owned.
Old April 22, 2013, 01:27 PM   #16
RJay

M14 controllable ?, I carried one in combat, yes it is very hard to control in full auto, I almost never had the switch in full auto because I didn't like to shoot at the clouds. They tried a new stock with a forward hand grip, helped but still difficult to control. That is just my hands on experience. I liked the M14 but I liked the M16 better and in my experience, just as effective and reliable and in the environment in which I used them, 100 yard accuracy was more than adequate or needed. Others with HANDS ON experience in heavy brush environment may have different views. but what the hey, I also liked the little M1 carbine. I'm sure there are those who claimed to have used the M14, one in each hand , full auto with no problems, but not I. . JMHO

Last edited by RJay; April 22, 2013 at 01:33 PM.