The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 25, 2020, 12:11 PM   #1
JohnMoses

more 32 stuff

I picked up a H&R 32 hammerless bicycle revolver yester day.Far right if my pictures upload
L to R open cylinder
6 shot 4" iver johnson 32L 6 shot
S&W flat latch 32L 6 shot
Rossi ladysmith repo 7 shott 22lr
H&R hammerless 5 shot 32 (short) 2"
Background: 327 6 shot taurus "J" frame, Russian Nagant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0726.JPG (111.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0725 (1).JPG (100.1 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by JohnMoses; October 25, 2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old October 26, 2020, 06:49 PM   #2
Carmady

That's a cool assortment of revolvers.

How do you like the Rossi Princess (LS repro)? I see you have the 3" version, target pistol.
Old October 26, 2020, 07:24 PM   #3
JohnMoses

I included it because it has the smallest cylinder of any revolver I've ever seen.I was wondering if the 32 bicycle cylinder was smaller, but it's bigger. I don't shoot the Rossi much as my mitts are far too big to get a good grip. Still, I believe there is a market for a small diameter cylinder revolver with modern lockwork. I think the H&R is safe to carry with 5 rounds but I'm not sure.
Old October 26, 2020, 08:24 PM   #4
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMoses View Post
I included it because it has the smallest cylinder of any revolver I've ever seen.I was wondering if the 32 bicycle cylinder was smaller, but it's bigger. I don't shoot the Rossi much as my mitts are far too big to get a good grip. Still, I believe there is a market for a small diameter cylinder revolver with modern lockwork. I think the H&R is safe to carry with 5 rounds but I'm not sure.
You should see how small the NAA cylinders are.

I too think there is a niche for a small 5 shot .32 revolver, I think it's a simple, more accurate, and more reliable option than a P32 or an LCP in .32, but sadly it seems as long as "experts" continue to declare the .32 S&W and S&W Long as insufficient for self defense, it will never be made.

Yet small frame .22's are selling for self defense and it's based solely on ammo price and availability and not performance. The .32 S&W Long was demonstrated to be adequate in the Lucky Gunner tests and I believe in a .32 S&W (short) chambered revolver, the lack of jump due to the short case would improve velocity enough to make it viable, even if it did fall just short of the 12 inch penetration minimum.

Even then, with the .32 short, I would still be aiming for the head, neck, and face in a defensive use, just like I would if using .22.

I like them enough I'm keeping my eye out for the H&R Young America. To think a 7oz revolver that fits in the palm could be made 120 years ago is amazing.
Old October 26, 2020, 08:59 PM   #5
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
You should see how small the NAA cylinders are.

I too think there is a niche for a small 5 shot .32 revolver, I think it's a simple, more accurate, and more reliable option than a P32 or an LCP in .32, but sadly it seems as long as "experts" continue to declare the .32 S&W and S&W Long as insufficient for self defense, it will never be made.

Yet small frame .22's are selling for self defense and it's based solely on ammo price and availability and not performance. The .32 S&W Long was demonstrated to be adequate in the Lucky Gunner tests and I believe in a .32 S&W (short) chambered revolver, the lack of jump due to the short case would improve velocity enough to make it viable, even if it did fall just short of the 12 inch penetration minimum.

Even then, with the .32 short, I would still be aiming for the head, neck, and face in a defensive use, just like I would if using .22.

I like them enough I'm keeping my eye out for the H&R Young America. To think a 7oz revolver that fits in the palm could be made 120 years ago is amazing.
I think this is where people draw the line. with a J frame they were "only" getting 5 shots but they could be .357 mags or .38spl +p. now, a smaller gun might be nicer but maybe not if you're going way down in power levels. the smaller D/A revolver have relatively stiff triggers compared to larger revolvers (save for the Ruger LCR). the trade off for smaller bullets has usually been at least you get more of them.
Old October 27, 2020, 04:18 AM   #6
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
I think this is where people draw the line. with a J frame they were "only" getting 5 shots but they could be .357 mags or .38spl +p. now, a smaller gun might be nicer but maybe not if you're going way down in power levels. the smaller D/A revolver have relatively stiff triggers compared to larger revolvers (save for the Ruger LCR). the trade off for smaller bullets has usually been at least you get more of them.
That's obvious. For decades the bare minimum has long been .38 Special, more recently it's .380 thanks to the advent of the polymer guns like the LCP, and anything below was inadequate.

Over time, science and technology is proving that wrong.

I'm not saying the .32 S&W or .32 SWL is perfect, it's not, but it's not as incapable as people have made it out to be and that holds true for the .32 SWL especially. There's a massive lack of data for the performance of .32 revolvers when used in self defense compared to more popular calibers.

The fact is we really don't know how the .32 performs on the street. It could be better, worse, or the same as .38 and we wouldn't know.

My issue with the .357 is it's horrible to shoot from a snub while for .38, save for a handful of factory options (Critical Defense, Golden Saber, HST) other ammo has difficulty expanding from a snub. Could I blow $80 and get a few boxes when it's available? Sure, but the benefits of the .32 with the lower recoil are still present.

Even with a .38, the power level from a snub is still far from ideal.

As to the size of a purpose built 5 shot .32 revolver, I see no reason to believe they couldn't have a trigger as good as an LCR, but be half the weight and dimensionally smaller.

What benefit that has is questionable, but the argument of having a gun vs no gun will still apply. If it's as easy to carry a little 5 shot .32 as it is a folding knife, whether it'll be a primary or a backup gun, everyone who is legally able to carry would carry and that would be a good thing and it would be better than a less reliable, less powerful .22 with a horrendous trigger.
Old October 27, 2020, 11:52 PM   #7
swissfist

I carry a Sig P230 as an EDC and keep a Charter Arms Undercoverette .32 Long in the console of my auto and I don't feel out gunned. The Sig is a tack driver and I really don't think a would be carjacker would want 6 .32 round nose emptied into his face. No it doesn't do the damage a .38 spl can, but it does enough.
Old October 28, 2020, 09:00 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I LOVE the .32s... I have a bunch, both revolvers and semi-autos.

If my Beretta 81 had a decocker I'd really consider carrying it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 28, 2020, 01:42 PM   #9
JohnMoses

Like you Mike, my P32 is almost always with me (and my wife). Some of my students accuse me of blasphemy when I tell them their 45 won't knock anybody down.
Old October 28, 2020, 04:26 PM   #10
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
I LOVE the .32s... I have a bunch, both revolvers and semi-autos.

If my Beretta 81 had a decocker I'd really consider carrying it.
for ccw purposes the decocker would only matter if you had to shoot in self defense. at that point the regular hammer block 1911 like safety would do for surrendering your gun to the police. if i was limited i'd carry mine without concern, but since i have an issued duty gun i use that instead.
Old October 29, 2020, 05:54 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

My primary concern with the Beretta is getting the hammer down on a loaded chamber to prepare it for carry.

Also, I'm pretty sure that mine is not a B model, which introduced the automatic firing pin safety.

Old October 29, 2020, 01:47 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

The .32 acp is a better performer than either of the .32 revolver cartridges.
Being a semi-rimmed cartridge, it will work fine in a revolver so chambered.
Old October 29, 2020, 01:58 PM   #13
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
The .32 acp is a better performer than either of the .32 revolver cartridges.
Being a semi-rimmed cartridge, it will work fine in a revolver so chambered.
Not by much and while .32 ACP will headspace in a revolver, it may not fire and depending on the individual revolver it may lock up the cylinder by impaling itself on the firing pin. Velocities are also horrible owing to the long jump causing a lot of gas leakage.
Old October 29, 2020, 03:21 PM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

Not to mention that the .32 ACP operates at substantially higher pressure that might tax many of the most common .32 revolvers.

Old October 29, 2020, 06:37 PM   #15
Bill DeShivs

I said nothing about shooting it in existing revolvers. The conversation had morphed into a new, purpose-built gun.
Old October 29, 2020, 06:47 PM   #16
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
I said nothing about shooting it in existing revolvers. The conversation had morphed into a new, purpose-built gun.
Didn't catch that, but you may be right. The thing is that .32 ACP with the taper crimp in a 7oz revolver may be a recipe for crimp jumping. My .32 ACP handloads don't go very deep into the case, I'm not so sure a tight taper crimp would be able to hold the bullet well enough.

I know with .32 S&W every round is roll crimped.
Old October 29, 2020, 09:26 PM   #17
Bill DeShivs

They made them 100 years ago. I'm sure they would work even better now!