Old April 19, 2017, 11:16 PM   #1
Jeryray

looking for rifle that uses .45 ACP

I use .45 ACP in my SIG.

Any decent Rifles use the same ammo?

TIA
Old April 19, 2017, 11:19 PM   #2
CalmerThanYou

The Kriss Vector Carbine is available in 45.....but it is a bit funky in design.
Old April 19, 2017, 11:22 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Flint River Armory makes one.
I don't know if it is "decent."
Old April 20, 2017, 12:24 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

I guess that would depend on your definition of "decent". Most of the ones I can think of are semi auto replicas of SMGs.

I've had a semi auto Tommygun for many years now. Mine had been reliable and very accurate, but few would describe it as a "decent" rifle. It's expensive, awkward (ergonomics) and heavy as hell. like 12lbs heavy and a drum mag only adds to it.

The Marlin Camp Carbine always seemed like a decent little rifle to me, although I never personally owned one. Its been discontinued for some time, and good luck finding one. Also, if you do, you'll find it (most likely) waaay overpriced (in my opinion) but its a seller's market...

If you're looking for a light, handy, rifle or carbine in the traditional sporter style for a decent price, there is none I know of in current production.

Simply put, while the .45acp does get a performance boost from a carbine length barrel, its not as much of a useful increase as some people think it ought to be, compared to some other rounds, such as .357 & .44 magnum.

The 9mm guys don't want a .45 (of course), the semi auto bullets usually used are not optimized for small game, and .45acp even out of a carbine isn't powerful enough to be well regarded for larger game, either.

My Tommygun will put 5 shots in one ragged hole at 25yds, and I can ring the 200yds gong on the range using the ladder sight. DO I carry it in the field? No. its simply too heavy and too awkward for that, since I have smaller, lighter guns with equal or more power and range to choose from.

On the other hand, there's nothing else quite like it, its a childhood dream fulfilled, and it is fun, IF you can hold it up!

Good Luck in your search, there might be something out that that fills your bill, but I don't know of any, sorry.

I chose this because it has style!

But practical? no, not really.
Old April 20, 2017, 12:54 AM   #5
bamaranger

plinker

There is a rather interesting article in this months "Rifle" magazine, in Gil Sengal's (?) "Light Gunsmithing" column, discussing a build/custom "big bore plinker" derived from an older Mauser action, that is indeed chambered in .45 acp.

The build is a single shot, and very plain. I have no idea of cost, but for some reason, the project appeals to me. I'm believing such a rifle could be assembled for far less than the cost of a "tommy gun", perhaps less than the going rate for a good Marlin Camp Carbine, but I could be wrong. Might largely depend on how good a terms one is on with their local gunsmith, and what parts can be scrounged.

I've had an interest in a .45 Camp Carbine since they first came out, but never bought one.
Old April 20, 2017, 01:21 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Since the .45acp has the common head size you could build a sporter on most any Mauser or Springfield action. Getting it magazine fed would be more effort though.

I heard someone was going to make a non-suppressed version of the DeLisle carbine, but I never heard it actually happened. So, you could have a Mauser or even an SMLE action converted to shoot .45acp, if going the semi auto SMG lookalike route doesn't appeal to you.

Cost? no idea, would depend on who does the work, I would expect. You might luck out, and find a "mad machinist" who would take it on just as a project, good luck!

I also recall hearing, some years back, of some M1 carbines being converted to .45 Win Mag. Seems like if you could do this, you could do it in .45ACP. Again, since no one is doing it as a market item, it would be a one off, and cost a pretty penny.
Old April 20, 2017, 08:04 AM   #7
Mobuck

Marlin Camp 45(?) fits the "decent" category but finding one might be difficult.
Considering the round and it's ballistics, maybe "decent" means it functions.
My only consideration for such a rifle would be as a suppressor host. In that scenario, a functional, ergonomic, mag fed 45 semi-auto would provide a solution if your situation required that sort of firepower.
Old April 20, 2017, 08:09 AM   #8
aarondhgraham

Consider a Hi-Point Carbine,,,

Consider a Hi-Point Carbine in .45 ACP,,,
Click here please.

I have the 9mm version and it's a solid performer,,,
It's as ugly as original sin but a decent gun.

If you don't mind your friends teasing you about it,,,
You'll probably be able to out shoot them.

Just an option no one hasd mentioned as yet.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old April 20, 2017, 08:48 AM   #9
shootbrownelk

It's too bad that Marlin/Remington doesn't reintroduce the Camp Carbine again...and Ruger could do the same with their Deerfield .44 magnum carbine.
Old April 20, 2017, 09:56 AM   #10
the possum

There is also the "Just Right Carbine" if you're into AR styling, or the TNW Aero Survivor, H&K semi versions of their submachine guns, plus clones of them, and the Beretta CX4 Storm. Mech Tech makes carbine "uppers" where you attach the lower frame assembly from your pistol, but I don't think they have one yet for SIGs. The H&R Reising Model 60 might be another more traditionally styled option (looks more like the Marlin Camp Carbine), but all I've found are pretty expensive collectibles.

There's also an outfit in Texas that converts Marlin lever actions for auto pistol calibers, and of course nothing is impossible if ya got the cash for a full blown custom piece.
Old April 20, 2017, 10:48 AM   #11
Jim Watson

Quote:
There is a rather interesting article in this months "Rifle" magazine, in Gil Sengal's (?) "Light Gunsmithing" column, discussing a build/custom "big bore plinker" derived from an older Mauser action, that is indeed chambered in .45 acp.

The build is a single shot...
A friend has a .45 Mauser like that.
It just does not do anything for me. And apparently not for him, either, he seems to be shooting mostly .22LR these days.
Old April 20, 2017, 02:06 PM   #12
g.willikers

Easy solution:
Buy a 9mm pistol, then you will have plenty of good choices for a 9mm carbine to go with it.
Old April 20, 2017, 05:18 PM   #13
bamaranger

Sengal's .45 plinker

Sengal states that his project rifle was based on a similar rifle owned by an acqaintance. The model rifle was built when surplus .45acp was apparently common and affordable.

For me, the attraction is the novelty of the thing, which frequently is not cost effective, which is why I don't own a Humvee, anything in .50 BMG, or a Lockheed P-38. A fella can hope though.
Old April 20, 2017, 07:32 PM   #14
Screwball

If you want something unique, check out Macon Armory... build a lower, and have them make you a D/I .45 upper.

They do a magazine setup with their own design... fitting a standard AR magazine well. I have their earlier adapter, which uses H&K USC magazines.
Old April 20, 2017, 11:23 PM   #15
ThomasT

And now for something different.

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris...45ACPrifle.htm
Old April 21, 2017, 02:58 PM   #16
SIGSHR

I would like a bolt action 45 ACP "plinker"-makes it easier to retrieve brass.
One with interchangeable barrels ala the SIG SHR 970, use the various rounds with a 45 ACP base-45 ACP, 45 Winchester Magnum, e.g.
Old April 21, 2017, 05:23 PM   #17
jglsprings

Seems like there should be more AR style guns out there...

http://www.olyarms.com/shop/upper-receivers/k45-ur.html

Check here for more info...

Commas save lives...

Last edited by jglsprings; April 21, 2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old April 22, 2017, 09:35 AM   #18
chuckscap

Does the Beretta CX4 Storm come in 45 ACP?
Old April 22, 2017, 09:52 AM   #19
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckscap View Post
Does the Beretta CX4 Storm come in 45 ACP?

It does... uses eight round 8045 Cougar magazines.

SierraPapa did a conversion (insert and release) so you can use PX4 magazines... which are nine or ten rounders. Unsure if they still do.
Old April 22, 2017, 01:39 PM   #20
SIGSHR

There is the Mech Tech Systems CCU which uses a pistol receiver. A little on the expensive side, but its modular design allows for a lot of customizing.
Old April 22, 2017, 10:45 PM   #21
Adventurer 2

I have the 45 storm. The Couger mags are $$$$. And only 8 rouunds. I'll tell you though - I love my CX in 45 because it is short, light, accurate, and feels right.
Old April 23, 2017, 03:38 AM   #22
weblance

Only one mention for the Just Right Carbine ? I have one in 9mm. They make a 45ACP version, with two different magazine types, Glock, or 1911. Its a well made, accurate and reliable carbine. Mine is the takedown version, and came with a small backpack that's designed for it. The JRC is ambidextrous as far as ejection port, and charging handle. There are also conversion kits to make the carbine into any caliber you want, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, or 357 SIG. They have a Lifetime Warranty, are made in New York State, have a NY Safe Act model, and cost around $650.
Old May 3, 2017, 06:32 AM   #23
Hdonly

I do have the Hi-Point .45 carbine. It does alright in the accuracy department and it goes off every time. It's cheap and reliable. A bit ugly and the trigger is not the best. I still like it despite it's drawbacks. The more you shoot it, the less ugly it becomes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2250901.resized.JPG (202.9 KB, 435 views)
Old May 3, 2017, 08:01 AM   #24
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondgraham
I have the 9mm version and it's a solid performer,,,
It's as ugly as original sin but a decent gun.

If you don't mind your friends teasing you about it,,,
You'll probably be able to out shoot them.
The only thing more annoying than the ugliness of those 9mm Hi-Points is the fact that they outshoot all the 9mm AR15's at 100 yards.

Had several friends that bought them and tried to convince me to buy one back in the late 1990's when they were $69, but never could get past the looks!
Old May 3, 2017, 10:43 AM   #25
smee78

I have the Mech Tech CCU and like it, shoots all of the ammo I have fed it and has been accurate. I have the model that uses the 1911 lower but they also have them for Glock and Springfield and they can be gotten is a verity of calibers. There is also a company that will convert a lever gun but they are on the expensive side, http://www.rangerpointprecision.com/...acp-10mm-357si I would love a 45acp lever gun but........