The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 12, 2014, 10:15 AM   #1
steve4102

Colorado Democrats aren't Scared

Apparently the Democrats in Colorado are not to concerned about loosing any House or Senate seats in The 2014 elections. Looks as though the recall elections had little affect on their Anti-Gun positions. Wonder what they know that the rest of CO does not.

Today, Democrats in the Colorado House’s House State Affairs committee, voted along party lines to reject a bill which would have removed the magazine limit that is currently in place in the state (15 rounds).

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/gun-la...agazine-limit/
Old February 12, 2014, 12:55 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

People who believe in their causes, truly believe, will not compromise their beliefs. The same can be found on the pro-gun side of the political field as well. They are proverbially sticking to their guns on the issue and are doing so at the risk of losing their jobs. The Dems did manage to defeat the bill, did they not?

Being critical of the opposition's strategy or tactics for not being very good when they have won the current battle is pretty pointless. They did win the current battle. They may lose some seats in November, but then again, they may gain some as well. That won't be determined until November. In the mean time, they are at least partially succeeding at what they set out to do...which means we are losing when they succeed, at least for the time being, but for the time being, that is the law, like it or not. Even if they lose some seats in November, that does not mean there will be enough momentum to actually get the laws changed back.
Old February 12, 2014, 01:13 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Wonder what they know that the rest of CO does not.
They know their cause is just, and their path is righteous. And, really, its best for everyone....

The rest of the state does not know, or believe that....
Old February 12, 2014, 01:17 PM   #4
JERRYS.

they know Americans have short memories, fat bellies, and are genuinely lazy. how many elections have "we" proven this?
Old February 12, 2014, 05:27 PM   #5
SHE3PDOG

As much as I hate to admit it, JERRYS is probably right. Many voters will likely forget about this entirely. I'd bet that this won't have much of a noticeable effect on the next election.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 12, 2014, 06:18 PM   #6
steve4102

I think they will do what they have done in the past and Fund several (L) Third Party Spoilers to siphon of just enough Republican Votes to ensure an across the board Democrat Victory.

In case you forgot the results of the 2012 elections.

Hudak 35,664, 47%
Republican Sias 35,080, 46.3%
Libertarian Sweeny 5,104, 6.7%
Old February 12, 2014, 06:35 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Let's avoid the general R/D/L politics. They're off topic for this forum.
Old February 12, 2014, 06:48 PM   #8
thallub

Quote:
Even if they lose some seats in November, that does not mean there will be enough momentum to actually get the laws changed back.
^^Bingo!!!^^
When did any state roll back serious gun control laws like those enacted in CO? Look at what happened nationally: The guys who claimed to support the 2nd Amendment and gunowners did a net nothing for us.
Old February 12, 2014, 10:30 PM   #9
doofus47

What's that saying from apocalypse now?
"Never get out of the boat, unless you're going to go all the way."
They are going to stick to this plan until it proves unprofitable and/or politically costly.
Not to be politically critical but to offer a bit of political insight to the state:
I would say that unless Colorado Republicans can nominate a number of candidates that have an over-all platform that attracts independents, the status quo will likely remain. There are many, many independent voters in Colorado and they are not one-issue voters. Most independent voters tend to be socially liberal (in the philosophical manner, not necessarily the political manner); finding candidates that appease the republican base during primaries but who don't sound like angry cranks to independents in the main election is the challenge.
Old February 13, 2014, 03:44 PM   #10
BarryLee

At the end of the day I suspect most voters have little interest in gun rights one way or the other. When a major event occurs and the media makes a big anti-gun push it gets their attention, but other than that there’re focused on other issues.

We really need to focus less on the issue of gun rights and more on the issue of personal freedom. The same philosophies that result in over regulation of firearms will also result in over regulation in other areas of our lives. I personally believe this is the only real hope that we have to maintain gun rights long term in this country, but alas we see a lot of people willing to give up freedom for the illusion of security.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 13, 2014, 05:30 PM   #11
scpapa

BarryLee:
Quote:
We really need to focus less on the issue of gun rights and more on the issue of personal freedom. The same philosophies that result in over regulation of firearms will also result in over regulation in other areas of our lives.
I never really thought of this, but I have to agree with some of the above. Personal freedom encompasses more than firearms and will affect more people than the choir we preach to here. I don't think we have to concentrate less on gun rights, but more on personal freedoms.

Rick
Member IALEFI, SCLEOA
Old February 13, 2014, 05:41 PM   #12
BarryLee

Quote:
I don't think we have to concentrate less on gun rights, but more on personal freedoms.
Yes, I agree I think I misspoke in my earlier post. We should stay engaged in the current battle, but maybe frame our arguments so they appeal to a larger audience.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 13, 2014, 11:58 PM   #13
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

And That Folks, is exactly why this particular section of TFL is here!
Old February 14, 2014, 12:09 PM   #14
g.willikers

The gun rights groups in Colorado were pushing the fact that the legislators were ignoring input from their constituents in favor of accepting money and influence from out of state interests.
And that may have affected voters more than gun rights, in the recall successes.
Old February 17, 2014, 08:58 AM   #15
bbqbob51

I think BarryLee is correct that most voters could care less one way or another. I would bet if you added all pro-gun and anti-gun voters together, it would probably add up to less than 30% of the total.
I know that the majority of my co-workers have guns in their household but only a few of them ever express any interest in discussing the subject. Out of the approximately 50 people at work I only discuss firearms/hunting/shooting with 5 of them. I heard anti-gun opinions expressed by maybe 2 people. Of course when it comes to voters even if they really don't care about an issue they will still check one of the boxes, yah or nay. Whatever they decide just doesn't impact them no matter which they choose. In reality it does, they just don't realize it.
The same is probably true when it comes to politicians. There are probably less than a few dozen in Congress that are fervently anti-gun and they are the that ones that write the bills. They then need to convince their colleagues who really don't care to vote for the legislation.