The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 15, 2013, 11:07 AM   #26
Chaz88

Quote:
I should carry a Wilson Combat 1911, maybe if I show it to the criminals they'll be stunned by it's beauty and leave me be. lol....

Seriously?
Seriously, it is not all about carry and shooting bad guys for some people. Besides, why shouldn't you look good when shooting bad guys?

"style, the best always have style"

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 15, 2013, 11:15 AM   #27
In memory of dad

Handgun

Never thought of handguns as being pretty but a tool to defend yourself with but I also think my xd subcompact is ugly so looks are in the eye of the beholder. Long as they go bang I alright I guess
Old November 15, 2013, 11:19 AM   #28
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Seriously, it is not all about carry and shooting bad guys for some people. Besides, why shouldn't you look good when shooting bad guys?

See, that's what was already established. That also goes without saying.

A "pretty" gun people are proud and to shoot at the range and carry to "shoot bad guys" as you so eloquently put it.

An "ugly" though, will deter someone from a purchase just because of appearance.

You're taking the defense of tool vs. looks to a whole new level of projecting.

Quote:
Besides, why shouldn't you look good when shooting bad guys?
For the sake of humor I won't even touch that. lol.

Quote:
"style, the best always have style"
- Kim Kardashian?
Old November 15, 2013, 11:25 AM   #29
Chaz88

Quote:
- Kim Kardashian?
From the movie Loan Wolf McQuade, when his captain is chewing him out.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 15, 2013, 11:52 AM   #30
dgludwig

Every gun I have (and, like most of us, I have many ) looks good-to me, at least (and, because appearance is subjective by definition, that's the only thing that really counts). As others have said, there are way too many guns available that perform well and look good doing so, to settle for one you don't like the looks of.
Though I've always felt that when it comes to firearms, especially when accuracy and reliability are rightly prioritized, form should follow function. But there are some guns that are so ugly to my eyes (and I understand the guy next to me might fawn over the appearance of the very same gun-and neither of us would be right or wrong), that I wouldn't own it no matter how accurate or reliable it might be. If pushed to cite an example, the slightest shove would make me blurt "the Beretta NEO!"
Old November 15, 2013, 12:40 PM   #31
Dragline45

For those who think guns are only tools and don't care about looks, then you shouldn't care what your car looks like either. For those who use trucks for work, would you drive a pink truck with hello kitty emblems all over it. The truck is a tool, as long as it performs who cares what it looks like.

If guns are tools, so are everything else that serves a specific purpose, so that argument is moot in my opinion. If I am dropping $500-$2000 on an item, I prefer it not only perform well, but look good too.

Last edited by Dragline45; November 15, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old November 15, 2013, 01:00 PM   #32
BigJimP

Big D said it very well.....

" Life is too short:
To shoot ugly guns;
To drink cheap wine;
To date ugly women ();
To drive boring. slow cars;
To put off until tomorrow what joy you can achieve today "
----------------
my primary carry gun is a Wilson Combat, CQB, 5", with black armor Tuff finish on it ...in .45 acp..../ and while its a utilitarian gun...I think it looks pretty good too....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...7&d=1360863612
Old November 15, 2013, 01:07 PM   #33
Tactical Jackalope

lol Dragline, huge over dramatizing. But it's comical.
Old November 15, 2013, 01:21 PM   #34
KMAX

Quote:
..guns are tools. If you are concerned about appearance go collect

Sometimes I wish I felt that way. Then I could be happy with one Glock, XD, or Walther, none of which I personally find very visually appealing, although I believe they are good guns, and have saved a few thousand bucks. BTW, I do like the looks of the Walther PPK. I do have a Ruger LCP that I feel that way about. The weight and small size which make it so easy to conceal are the only things it has going for it, IMO. I don't care for the looks, caliber, or size when it comes to actually shooting it. It is a tool.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old November 15, 2013, 03:33 PM   #35
JN01

If an ugly gun were markedly superior in performance or other quantifiable aspects, then no, appearance wouldn't really matter.

If they are relatively comparable, then I would prefer a more asthetically pleasing design.

Beauty is subjective, of course. I'm OK with Glocks, they certainly aren't beautiful, but I don't find them ugly. More like utilitarian.

On the other hand, if a gun is TOO pretty, I'm more apt to leave it in the safe for fear of marring it.

Lastly, if all I could afford were an ugly (but reliable) gun, then looks would not matter.
Old November 15, 2013, 03:57 PM   #36
madmo44mag

I have never been one to care much about appearances just results.
I own some very nice guns and some that look like they went through a meat grinder but they all work perfectly.
With that said I do have a few that are just beautiful and I am very proud of but as my mama use to say “ beauty is only skin deep”
Old November 15, 2013, 04:12 PM   #37
SpareMag

There is something to be said for the idea that the attention given to design is one indicator of the attention given to engineering function. Cheap guns tend to look thrown together, and while not an absolute indicator of shooting quality, cheap guns, as a general rule, seem to be a bit more finicky than more expensive guns.

(and by cheap, I mean $200 or so, which is different than "bargain" Turkish or Phillipine guns which seem to be pretty good deals.)
Old November 15, 2013, 05:31 PM   #38
rodfac

Yep, you're right, it's function over beauty every time, and to quote Townsend Whelen, "only accurate guns are interesting." But dam those Glocks are fugly...make it blued steel and walnut for me, forever....your tastes may differ! Best Regards, (and yes I do own a Glock too), Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 15, 2013, 06:01 PM   #39
CajunBass

I've owned a lot of "plain" looking guns, but I don't know that I've ever owned an ugly one.

If you think your guns are ugly, and you're ok with it, it's fine with me.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 15, 2013, 06:25 PM   #40
Onward Allusion

Appearance only matters if the firearm in question is a collectible. I have a few of those, and even then, appearance does not rate high on my criteria of collectibility.

I consider 95%+ of my guns to be tools of defense and recreation. I don't care about looks. Heck, my favorite gun is a 5946 in blacken stainless. The thing has a lot of holster wear, a few scratches, and has 3M traction tape all over it. If I posted a picture of it here, many of you would laugh. However, I shoot best with it.

The number one factor in a gun for me is reliability. I don't care if it is a 25ACP or 45ACP - when I pull the trigger it better go bang and cycle to the next round.
Old November 15, 2013, 06:29 PM   #41
4runnerman

I've owned a lot of "plain" looking guns, but I don't know that I've ever owned an ugly one.

Plus 1 CajunBass. I own only Savage rifles. Now they are not by far Beautiful Rifles,but I don't consider them Ugly.

I also own a PT1911 (Dont go there please ). I put custome Cheery Wood Grips on it. I think it is one Sweet looking Pistol.

As one Poster said- Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I also Agree that a Pistol is a tool of defense. You start looking at it as more than that and you are starting to scare me. I love my rifles and pistol's , but they are tools. Apperance does matter some what, As long as it's not a obsession--- Ok rip me up for that one now

As for the Pink Truck--My wife would Love it.

Last edited by 4runnerman; November 15, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old November 15, 2013, 06:36 PM   #42
dgludwig

Quote:
and to quote Townsend Whelen, "only accurate guns are interesting."
Not to split hairs, but the actual quote was, "Only accurate rifles are interesting". Which makes more sense in the context of light-weight, short-barreled handguns that are more suitable for self-defense, where reliability and compactness might well be more "interesting" (and important) than accuracy.
Old November 15, 2013, 07:45 PM   #43
TennJed

Of all the cliches and sayings in the gun world, "guns are just tools", is the worst and the one I wish would go away the most (followed closely by "solution to a problem that doesn't exist")
Old November 15, 2013, 08:28 PM   #44
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantine
When I out shoot a high dollar 1911 with my Glock 19, does it really matter?
The funny part is when (probably more like if) you show up at a competition, or have to actually use your Glock 19 in anger, and find out just how bad you are compared to a decent 1911 shooter with an expensive gun!
Old November 15, 2013, 09:39 PM   #45
Tactical Jackalope

Does appearance matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_auto View Post
The funny part is when (probably more like if) you show up at a competition, or have to actually use your Glock 19 in anger, and find out just how bad you are compared to a decent 1911 shooter with an expensive gun!
What?
Old November 15, 2013, 10:23 PM   #46
gaseousclay

Does appearance matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonaopa View Post
I have seen many posts about good looking and ugly guns. I just wonder why this is such an issue. People say Hi-Point and Glock are ugly. It seems to me that if the weapon goes bang and is accurate when I pull the trigger, why worry about appearance. Granted, I have some guns that I collect due to the good appearance of the workmanship, but these are not guns that I take to the range. Just wondering about what others think.
I don't see why appearance should matter, especially if you're talking about carrying to protect yourself. The way I see it is a criminal isn't going to be looking at the type of gun you have if he's trying to rob or harm you. The only person that will say anything is a true gun snob. I personally don't care what anyone chooses to use. If it makes you happy and feel safe then that's all that matters
Old November 15, 2013, 10:30 PM   #47
Chaz88

Quote:
If it makes you happy and feel safe then that's all that matters
That is why appearance matters. Some of them are just to make me happy. Some of them are to make me safe. Most of them can do both at the same time. The last one is my preference.

Old November 15, 2013, 10:53 PM   #48
Tactical Jackalope

Does appearance matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz88 View Post
That is why appearance matters. Some of them are just to make me happy. Some of them are to make me safe. Most of them can do both at the same time. The last one is my preference.
Lol well said. That's funny. "Most of them can do both at the same time." This is true.

15 handguns and my 2 favorites are my GLOCK 19 and SIG P226 e2.
Old November 15, 2013, 11:58 PM   #49
dakota.potts

I hear the "X are Tools mentality a lot". It's true of guns and it's true of guitars. The only difference is you sometimes want your instrument to look professional (whether a jazz guitar or a solid black spikester for death metal), where as typically in shooting competitions/classes people don't care about a gun's look. Or, if they do, I can't figure out what's up with race guns

A tool will get the job done. A classic car which functions fine internally has no need for leather upholstering, dashboard refitting, or a new paint job. It will get you from point A to point B.

For a lot of people, dropping money on an object is a personal experience, and if it's something they hope to use a lot they want it to be something they like looking at. I like the sleek black look of my CZ 75. I appreciate the fine wood of the CZ 452. For others, they don't want to spend the extra time, money or energy.

For those who say it doesn't matter at all, would you carry a bright triple-tone 1911 or S&W Revolver colored orange, pink, and purple? If you like those colors, substitute ones that you don't like.

If the answer is that you wouldn't carry it, then you've admitted that, to some degree, appearance matters. You may disagree about how much, but it's there. If you would still carry your choice of handguns in those colors, then you can probably say that appearance doesn't matter to you.
Old November 16, 2013, 09:14 AM   #50
Shootrj2003

Looks do count,if a gun works fine but looks like crap,for example the Glock looks like two blocks stuck together at right angles,it works but blah,
On the other hand the Colt 1911a1 ,even as a parkerized issue from an armory with the white rack no. Spray painted on its plastic grip panels it has beauty and soul as does the Browning Hi-Power,you can tell the artist ,the master had put his heart and soul into their design they ooze class and beauty ,they are the best even still today ,right down to the fact of safe cocked and locked carry.Luger another beauty even the CZ-75 is beauty and let us not forget Walthers beauty's
Most offerings today are merely a product up for sale,sold as good,functional and especially new ,this sells to people who increasingly nowadays will say"I don't like guns ,I carry one because I have too"! Many are embarrassed to even suggest a gun might be beautiful and that they enjoy just looking at it.