The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 22, 2013, 04:00 AM   #1
SonOtheSouth

My new XD .40sc Pics... Questions

In the above pic you can see my XD in the Don Hume... when this is on the belt, it is so tight I literally cant pull the gun out. Any suggestions here ?

I was wondering, looking at this barrel I'm curious if the space at the top of the barrel is normal ? I mean, between the top of the barrel and the slide, while there is no space at the bottom.

Anyway... just wanted to show it cuz the wife don't care. This is my first semi-auto pistol.

EDIT: wow, next time I'll make the pics smaller.

Last edited by SonOtheSouth; January 22, 2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old January 22, 2013, 06:38 AM   #2
foxytwo

Put 1 wrap of plastic wrap on the pistol and insert it into the pistol. Let sit overnight and that should take care of it. If still too tight put another wrap on the pistol and do the same thing. Ore use a very thin sock and do the same thing.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:32 PM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
I was wondering, looking at this barrel I'm curious if the space at the top of the barrel is normal ?
yep.

When the slide is retracted, the barrel points slightly upward. This accommodates that.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 22, 2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Bart Noir

foxytwo has the right idea, but there is another step you can take.

Before you insert the plastic-wrapped XD, you can get the holster mildly wet. Then it is more partial to stretching. But I don't know what Done Hume would say, maybe you should ask first.

And you can make it two layers of strong plastic if one doesn't stretch the holster enough. I've used the sturdy plastic freezer bags since they are strong enough for this activity.

Bart Noir
Who thinks Don Hume makes good products.
Old January 22, 2013, 03:57 PM   #5
SonOtheSouth

Well, when I bought the holster it was really stiff, so I got some baseball glove conditioner and applied it multiple times and worked the leather until the pistol slid in and out nicely. But when on the hip the belt puts such a bind on the gun, it wont come out. ( belt running through rear, or hip side, of holster ) But, I will try your trick....
Thanks
Old January 22, 2013, 09:05 PM   #6
gunhand

Had the same problem with a blackhawk holster. Just leave the gun in holster for a few days/nights. Should break in pretty quick.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:36 PM   #7
DATL

Nice looking piece! As far as the leather just use it all leather I have ever had loosened up