The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 7, 2013, 11:23 AM   #1
evilleprichaun

Am i weird?

Im around alot of non gun people not necessarily anti gun they just dont much see the point in having guns. And today my co workers asked something to the extent of do I sleep with a gun? I said well yea I have a gun or two next to me at night. Also, because of placement of things in my room I dont have a nightstand right next to my bed so they do stay on my bed when im there. They said I was weird and was asking why I would need a gun and whose gana just break into my room? I calmly said I dont understand why people break into houses at all, and its just there for a just incase, and if your comfortible enough in this world to not have a gun then thats good for you but I am not.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Is there any way to get non gun people to understand your point of view?

Last edited by evilleprichaun; January 7, 2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:36 AM   #2
afone1

Quote:
No there isn't, so why even try?

It's like religion and politics. Everyone has their own opinion, and everyone thinks they know it all.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Alabama Shooter

I would never try to convince an Auburn fan that Alabama is better. We both know the truth already he just isn't willing to admit it.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:42 AM   #4
UtopiaTexasG19

The vast majority of folks I know from friends, to family, to acquaintences that I have discussed guns with do not have guns and those that do have them locked away in their houses and have not shot them for years, if ever. Many are just "hand me downs" from past generations. To the average American that hardly ever thinks of the word "gun" yes you are wierd and they probably think of you as being extreme and living on the fringe of society. To the rest of us that either hunt, re-load as a hobby or keep guns for personal defense you are just plain normal. Our society in the last 3-4 generations has gone from being rural/farming and making their living off the land to city dwellers, many who have no concept of being self reliant. Though there are many millions of guns here in ther United States many of us own multiple guns so in fact I believe we are a minority as far as raw statistics of guns per person are figured.
PS-Using the moniker "evilleprichaun" does not help out a wierd image either.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Skans

I think it's a little weird that someone would tell folks they sleep with guns. But, hey, that's just me.

I don't share any personal gun information with acquaintances, unless a friend or acquaintance is seeking help with buying one. And, even then, I guide the conversation in a way that would be most helpful to the person seeking assistance. How many guns I have, what I kind they are, what I need them for - none of anyone's business, especially if I think the inquiring person has some kind of grudge against guns or gun owners.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:04 PM   #6
evilleprichaun

I agree with you on that, they asked more questions like where exactly are they and what kind and where do I keep the rest of them and I tried just saying like why does that matter and they even went as far as to ask which way my bed was facing. Thats when I was just like im done. I dont give out my whole set up but im not gana say I dont have one.

I dont really see the difference in saying you have a gun at the ready while you sleep and saying you sleep with a gun.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Skans

Quote:
I dont really see the difference in saying you have a gun at the ready while you sleep and saying you sleep with a gun.
I suppose. I wasn't there and context is certainly important.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:13 PM   #8
Shotgun693

Probably the easiest, quickest way to win someone over is to take'm shooting. A few rounds with a .22 revolver or a .22 rifle will generally make a 'Don't care one way or the other' person into a pro-gun person.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:17 PM   #9
CWKahrFan

Quote:
Does anyone else have this problem?
Well yeah... But I'd just call it an "experience", not a "problem". Like any hobby, those not familiar with the body of knowledge and details of the endeavor have a difficult time understanding much about it. And that's OK. I don't feel a need to spread gun culture. If someone is attracted to it, they will move toward it and find out as much as they want about it. If they aren't attracted to it, they won't.

I know guys who are WAY into cars and car culture. They have car parts catalogs and sets of fancy wrenches in their rooms. I have a passing interest in that, enough to do some routine work on my car, but I don't go to races and car shows and talk car-talk with my buds all the time as some do. It's all good... Everyone likes what they like to varying degrees. It's natural... No biggie.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:47 PM   #10
coachteet

There are lots of people who aren't "gun people" who aren't knee-jerk anti-gunners. Maybe telling them that you spoon with your revolver at night might come off as weird... I find the best way to ease people into the world of firearms is the idea of having a gun for home protection. I use the fire analogy:

Q: Do you keep a gun by your bed?
A: Yes.
Q: LOL you sleep with a gun?! Why?
A: Just in case.
Q: In case what?
A: Do you think your home is going to burn down tomorrow?
Q: What? No...
A: Why do you own a fire extinguisher?
Q: Well, if there was ever a fire...
A: Right. It is unlikely that your home is going to catch on fire, but you keep a fire extinguisher just in case. Because homes do catch on fire. It is unlikely that my home will be invaded by someone intent on doing me or my family harm, but these things do happen sometimes. My family means everything to me, so I would never forgive myself if someone broke into my home and harmed my loved ones and I didn't take the responsibility to have the means with which to protect them, just because I didn't think the scenario was likely to happen.

Most people are sensible. If you put it that way, it's hard to argue with. It's an easy segue from there into asking the person if they have ever fired a gun. If they haven't, offer to take them to the gun range. There is little that we can do for RKBA that is more effective than introducing novices to the world of responsible gun ownership and usage.
Old January 7, 2013, 01:01 PM   #11
BoogieMan

Quote:
I find the best way to ease people into the world of firearms is the idea of having a gun for home protection. I use the fire analogy:
This explanation makes so much sense. I am embarrassed I have never thought of it in these terms. My Great Dane and Labrador are the Fire alarm and the hydra-shoks are the extinguisher
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 7, 2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

The fire extinguisher is an excellent analogy. You can also use seat belts, Band-Aids, and insurance as analogies. Simply put: I hope I never need any of the aforementioned. I keep them around in case I do.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:36 PM   #13
arch308

I tend to use the spare tire analogy.

One of my favorite things to do is introduce people to firearms. A 22LR or full sized 9mm usually win them over quickly.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:45 PM   #14
alex0535

One time 5 large guys kicked down our front door around 5 in the morning intent on violence with the people inside.

They were drunk, and had actually been trying to break into the house next door where there had been an altercation a couple hours earlier.

Needless to say, after that I slept much better with a loaded 12 gauge by the bed.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:45 PM   #15
lefteye

Quote:
I tend to use the spare tire analogy.
Excellent.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:58 PM   #16
Jo6pak

Quote:
I'll mirror coachteet's response since it's the one I always use.

"I'll not paranoid of my house burning down, but have several fire extinguishers at home just in case."

It's a simple analogy that seems to get the point across to those that are "gun neutral."
For the true ANTIs, there is nothing you can say so just be polite and agree to disagree. Afterall, there are some people who don't even have fire extiguishers, they just think the fire department will save them
Old January 7, 2013, 07:18 PM   #17
MB21

My two best friends ARE gun people, and they don't understand why I sleep with a loaded 1911 next to me. They always ask why, I tell them that I see some very sketchy people walk by my house. (I live in the middle of a small town riddled with tweakers.)

They ask, "well what if it went off accidentally?" I tell them, "There are two safeties on a 1911, a slide and a grip. They are both always engaged when I sleep with it next to me. Even if for some rare chance that the slide safety is off, it would take pressure on the grip safety and on the trigger at the exact same time in order for the round to touch off."

I would like to point out both of them own 1911's, one friend owns two. They are just ignorant.

They also counter with, "what if someone comes in and picks it up unknowingly?" To which I reply, "I let all of my friends that come in my room know that there is a loaded pistol on the table. If for some reason that still doesn't deter someone and they shoot themselves, it is their own damn fault for picking up an unfamiliar gun and not chamber checking it."

Their response is, "You're crazy man!"

This conversation has happened several times, once last week.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:32 PM   #18
Prof Young

Weird?

Your handle is evilleprechaun and you want to know if you are weird?

Sorry. I couldn't resist. I'm hoping that giving each other a friendly hard time is okay for the forum.

Guns are like anything else that anyone has an affinity for. I used to spelunk. (Cave exploring.) That's not a very common activity and a lot of people didn't "get it."

I spend a lot of time in academic circles and am fortunate to have some colleagues who like to hunt and shoot. But I also have colleagues who just don't get it and don't understand anything about guns. Mind you these are well educated highly intelligent people.

I'm a theatre artist and to many people that seems even more strange for a guy who is also into the hunting and the shooting sports.

I don't think I'd keep a gun in my bed. My home defense weapon is in a quick open safe in the closet. The cell phone is next to the bed. But, I'm sure there are real circumstances that would make keeping a gun on the night stand or even in the bed a reasonable idea.

If I had a "home defense drill" it would be locking the bedroom door, dialing 911 as I retrieve my gun and then getting the bedroom window open so I can avoid a confrontation.

Live well, be Safe
Prof Young
Old January 7, 2013, 10:59 PM   #19
Dre_sa

Weird? For keeping your pistol nearby when you sleep?

No, not at all. I do the same. My pistol sleeps under the pillow on the other side of the bed. Being single has its advantages. It's out of the way, hidden from view and still easily accessible.

It's not weird to be prepared.

Just stay safe and don't bother trying to explain yourself to people who don't care for your explanation.