The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 26, 2011, 01:22 PM   #1
C0untZer0

Hearing & eye protection interfere with each other

I always use ear plugs as well as ear muffs, but I noticed that when I put my glasses on, the temples (parts of the frame that extend over and/or behind the ears to help hold the frame in place.), opened my ear muffs a tiny bit, and kind of kept the ear muffs from snugging up totally and surrounding my ear.

I definately could hear the difference and the guy next to me was firing some very loud caliber or loads, either 10mm or some +P loads or something.

Is the only way to get around this to have glasses that have an elastic band that go on the outside of the hearing protection?
Old June 26, 2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Nope, get glasses that have temples that don't stand out from your face so much. This is common with various types of safety glasses designed to fit any size face or to allow for the wearing of eyeglasses underneath as well. Basically, they may protect the eyes just fine, but don't actually fit the head size and shape properly and are very standoffish at the temples with the temples.

Get glasses with temples that are not so thick (depth from skin-outwards).

Get glasses with temples that are not so tall (vertical distance). Many safety glasses have tall temples to help protect the eyes as well.

Get muffs with thicker pads that will accomodate your standoffish, thick, or tall temples. Many types of muffs, in an effort to be smaller and sleeker will skimp on the muff padding and that means they are not as widely useful with eye protection and as it turns out, don't fit as many head shapes as well. The extra padding goes a long way to helping fit a wider range of head sizes and shapes.

As alternatives, you could get Flavor Flave's glasses...
http://cohensfashionoptical.wordpres...lav-glasses-2/
Old June 26, 2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Rifleman1776

You are putting the ear plugs in incorrectly. Most people just kind of stick them into/onto the outer ear. That does very little good. The plugs should be rolled down very small and slid into the ear canal. There they will swell back up and block the canal giving good sound protection. I wear glasses and use ear plugs frequently, day and night. Neither glasses or plugs have ever interfered with each other.
BTW, when you buy your plugs avoid the ones that say they are "foam". Get those that specify "silicone" or "silicone foam". The foam only are a type of rubber and will not stay squished long enough for you to get them inserted properly. Both are about the same price so that is not a factor.
Old June 26, 2011, 07:08 PM   #4
langenc

the original poster was asking about MUFFS not plugs.
Old June 26, 2011, 07:25 PM   #5
wogpotter

Quote:
I always use ear plugs as well as ear muffs
He was actually asking about both

In addition to the instructions for inserting plugs if you reach over the top of the head, grasp the top of the ear lobe & gently pull up while inserting this helps as well by straightening the ear canal during insertion.

You could add to the protection by getting something like a hard hat with ear muffs attached as they don't use the temple & so they won't interfere with your glasses frames. Or you could get glasses just for shooting with slimline arms.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 26, 2011, 08:58 PM   #6
C0untZer0

I use the foam plugs too - and actually they kind of squirmed out of the ear canal this last time.

I do have a different set of muffs with a bigger softer cusion.

If I ever loose all of my teeth and have only gold in my mouth - I will definately go with Flav's glasses.
Old June 26, 2011, 10:38 PM   #7
hknut

Go to your local chain saw store. Thew will sell ear muffs with safety glasses mounted to the muffs. So you wont have any problems with sound. Good luck.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old June 27, 2011, 12:12 AM   #8
8shot357

Quote:
Go to your local chain saw store. Thew will sell ear muffs with safety glasses mounted to the muffs. So you wont have any problems with sound. Good luck.
Cool, can't recall seeing those, I might look into it, although I have no issue's with the plug/muff's/glasses. That's if they don't cost a lot. I hate wasting money but I'm weird. Harber Freight here I come. I needed to go there anyways.
Old June 27, 2011, 08:13 AM   #9
Rifleman1776

Actually, I often also use muffs and they don't interfere with my glasses, or the other way around. I don't see the problem.
Old June 27, 2011, 08:29 AM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Actually, I often also use muffs and they don't interfere with my glasses, or the other way around. I don't see the problem.
That is sort of like saying that you don't understand why somebody else's clothes don't fit right because yours fit you right. The OP isn't asking about your fit. He is trying to figure out why his don't fit him correctly. However, if you read post #2, you can then begin to understand some of the reasons why muffs and glasses may interfere with one another.
Old June 27, 2011, 09:01 AM   #11
wogpotter

Quote:
I use the foam plugs too - and actually they kind of squirmed out of the ear canal this last time.
That's because of the way they were inserted. We have this problem all the time with folks new to wearing foamies.
Roll them down to a thin, compressed plug right before inserting, reach over the head with the opposite hand & gently pull up on the top of the ear & screw the compressed plug in, don't push it. After a couple of seconds you'll feel the plug expand, seal the ear canal & start trapping sound, then you're ready to go. If it starts to expand before you have it all the way in just re-roll it & do a repeat.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 27, 2011, 01:23 PM   #12
BarryLee

Yes, working in Occupational Safety should me one of the hardest things to do is fit people for protective equipment. At the end of the day you have to simply experiment to find the right combination that works for you. Also, you might consider visiting a professional who can fit eye and or ear protection to your unique situation.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman