The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 15, 2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Webleymkv

Webley Mk. IV safety

I just picked up a new (to me) Webley Mk. IV revolver in .38 S&W. I like the gun thus far (I haven't shot it yet) except it has a rather annoying cross-bolt safety installed. Normally, I'd just ignore the silly thing but it is rather awkward to manipulate and must be engaged in order to break the revolver open.

After a bit of research, it seems as though Century installed the safety in order to satisfy the "points" system of the 1968 Gun Control Act. From what I've read, the safety seems easy enough to remove, but I'm wondering if I would run into any legal issues by doing so. Can anyone tell me if I can legally remove this stupid feature from an otherwise fine gun?
Old April 16, 2011, 02:32 AM   #2
natman

The safety came from the factory.

http://www.dandbmilitaria.com/webley...669-5438-p.asp

I don't think there's any criminal penalty for deactivating the safety, but anytime you alter a safety device you expose yourself to possible liability if there was ever an accident with the gun.
Old April 16, 2011, 06:17 AM   #3
Webleymkv

The safety on my revolver is different from the one in your link. Instead of being at the back of the frame above the grips, it is immediately in front of the hammer between it and the barrel catch. If the safety was like that in the link, it wouldn't bother me.

The liability issue doesn't really bother me all that much because this revolver is basically a range toy for me anyway, I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be violating some obscure federal law if I remove the safety.