The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 8, 2011, 05:05 AM   #1
MissouriShooter

Modifying a Romanian Draco AK47 Pistol ...

UNLESS I CANNOT DO THIS LEGALLY:

I would like to replace the pistol grip with a more ergonomic one, and the supplied wooden foregrip furniture, top and bottom, with Picatinny rail-equipped pieces.

I'd like to be able to mount a red-dot or holographic sighting device on top and a front-end pistol grip with a tac light below.

Is there any legal reason that would not allow me to do this? Remember, this is an AK pistol, not a rifle. None of this would affect the length of the weapon and it appears to me that that is the most important criteria, aside from the number of foreign parts for such assembled weapons. Does the country of origin for these parts (probably Israel) matter more than the country of purchase (USA)?

Last edited by MissouriShooter; January 8, 2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old January 8, 2011, 07:06 AM   #2
ohen cepel

Caveat- I am not a lawyer.

Can't do the front pistol grip, that would require papers as an AOW.

Other than that, I would stick with all US made grip/parts just to play it safe, where they are from matters, not where you buy them. The 922 stuff drives me crazy, you will likely never have an issue but I wouldn't risk it since there are US made options.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old January 8, 2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Carne Frio

None of the changes you propose are illegal.
922R regulation refers to longarms, not pistols.
Old January 8, 2011, 11:50 AM   #4
jhenry

This probably needs to be moved to the NFA forum. Lots of good folks there who are uber familiar with what can and can not be done to keep in the good graces of the ATF.
Old January 8, 2011, 02:09 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

None of that is illegal, BUT, you will have to register the gun as an AOW to stay legal if you add a forward pistol grip.
Old January 8, 2011, 02:17 PM   #6
egor20

Lots of good info here

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59176

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 28, 2011, 08:26 PM   #7
10 Beers

Mine looks like this

Last edited by 10 Beers; January 28, 2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: bad pic
Old January 29, 2011, 09:28 PM   #8
tomwalshco

No doubt, these guys will know -
AK forum - Romanian
Old January 30, 2011, 10:24 AM   #9
dlb435

Replacing the front stock with a rail system is OK; BUT it's not OK to add a front grip. Replacing the pistol grip with a nicer one is also OK.
I've got one of these and found that sighting the gun without a shoulder stock is all but imposible. Since I don't want to go Class 3 and register the pistol as a SBW (short barreled weapon) I added the laser sight. (just like 10 Beers) That seems to be the best overall solution to aiming the weapon. The front stock is so short that it is easy to roll your knuckle onto the laser switch and light up your target. These things are a real blast to shoot!
Old January 30, 2011, 10:41 AM   #10
Stringfellow

Slightly off topic, but...

How LESS accurate are these than their full-sized equivalent?

Could you associate a distance that these are good for, vs. full-size (i.e., full-size accurate to 300 yds, these only to 100, etc.).

I always thought this was quite a good deal for a ~$300 "tweener" that has better range and accuracy than a 4 or 5" barreled pistol.

Back on topic--as you were. Thanks!
Old January 30, 2011, 06:43 PM   #11
10 Beers

By the way, I wouldn't do anything invasive to the pistol that you can't undo later like grinding the muzzle cap loose to add a goofy flashider. The flash is the best part and you bought it 'cause it was short. The reason is these things are sure to be collectors items and original is best. I can't even believe they're legal. I bought a Chicom Norinco 84s in 1988 for $295 and often thought about major changes but never got around to it. Today it's worth like $1500. Just watch, down the road they'll be selling some watered down version with a can opener welded to the muzzle to satisfy some length requirement. Just like the pre-ban norinco and polytech rifles became the prize pigs of AK collecting (who knew?) these could turn gold. I'm still wondering where the ass end sling swivel is going to go but I'm leaning to a stud in the top left side of the pistol grip like a pistol grip shotgun has or even the bottom of the grip. I can buy a cheap black pistol grip for ten bucks and spare the original. The flashlight goes on the side of the 3 way pic and I'm done. A gun this small can't hold much more crap but someone will prove me wrong.
Old January 30, 2011, 07:21 PM   #12
AK103K

You may want to write the ATF on this, and get it in writing too, but I believe someone over at ARFCOM got an approval letter from them and its allowable to use the MagPul "angled" grip on the AR pistols. If so, I dont see why the AK would be any different.

Ill look around and see if I can find you a link.

ETA: heres a link to the letter. Question 7 at the bottom of page 3 addresses it.
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...NzdhMzUx&hl=en
Old January 30, 2011, 11:08 PM   #13
raftman

Quote:
Slightly off topic, but...

How LESS accurate are these than their full-sized equivalent?

Could you associate a distance that these are good for, vs. full-size (i.e., full-size accurate to 300 yds, these only to 100, etc.).

I always thought this was quite a good deal for a ~$300 "tweener" that has better range and accuracy than a 4 or 5" barreled pistol.

Back on topic--as you were. Thanks!
The reduced barrel length vs. an full-size AK isn't gonna be the only thing potentially adversely affective accuracy. It's got a considerably shorter sight radius than the full-size AK, plus the gun is just gonna be harder to shoot accurately by nature, mostly because it lacks a stock and so forth. 100 yards is likely a pretty good estimate.
Old January 31, 2011, 08:00 PM   #14
10 Beers

Accuracy is meaningless in a gun like this, you buy it for ******* rights and to clear the zombies off the front yard. It's also rough feeling and it smells bad. That should answer any future questions.
Old February 16, 2012, 07:39 AM   #15
Smiling Bob

10 Beers,

Sent you a PM and an Email with a question.

Smiling Bob
Old February 16, 2012, 10:40 PM   #16
raftman

Pretty much what everyone else said. Adding a forward pistol grip will get you into hot water. Adding rails for lights, lasers, etc is fine. You don't need to worry about 922R with it's US v. foreign parts counts if you're replacing parts (like if you want a grip that fits your hand better than the one that comes from the factory), because 922R does not apply to handguns. There are plenty of handguns being imported into the country that are 100% foreign-made.
Old February 16, 2012, 11:36 PM   #17
Smiling Bob

Here's a pic of my Draco C pistol:

Here's a link to the particulars and what my Draco pistol is capable of: http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/vie...?f=84&t=173353

Smiling (BIG TIME) Bob

Tags
ak47 , draco , new grips , pistol , tac light