The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 18, 2009, 11:16 PM   #1
Newton24b

starr vs lemat

heres a question, whats easier to work with the starr or the lemat/ they both have complicated lockwork, but what one can be worked on at home without causing undue migraines?
Old December 19, 2009, 12:33 AM   #2
hickstick_10

buy yourself a copy of "gunsmithing guns of the old west"

Track the wolf has them, as well as complete exploded views and assembly and troubleshooting instructions.
Old December 19, 2009, 10:49 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

I think it well depend on your level of experience. The Starr may be more familiar to some one that was worked on Colts and Remingtons. The Starr uses a similar bolt and cylinder notch. The LeMat cylinder lock is a pin the protrudes from the recoil shield into the back of the cylinder. The LeMat requires a special spanner tip to disassemble. Neither one is really that complicated....thirty years ago I'm sure both would have made me swear.....a lot.

Two books I would recommend are.

"Percussion Pistols & Revolvers history, performance & practical use" by Bates & Cumpston

"Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West" by David Chicoine

Both of these cover C&B, the bates/cumpston book has a chapter on the LeMat. The chicoine book goes into much more detail, good hardcore gunsmithing.

Having a complete set of Jerry Kuhnhausen's books are a worth while investment. They don't cover C&B revolvers but the general knowledge from them is invaluable. They are the Gunsmiths Bible IMHO.