The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2009, 07:12 AM   #26
SL1

I think any business that thinks it is "not hurting itself" when it discourages or annoys customers is eventually going to learn otherwise the hard way.

Especially with the Internet available for disgruntled customers to post rants, the damage can spread widely before the business actually realizes it is happening. And, those posts will be around for a LONG time, even after the business has changed its practices. Some small companies have even changed their names after getting a bad reputation on the Internet.

So, companies that use mail-order and Internet sales to undercut costs of "brick-and-mortar" stores are going to be especially vulnerable to people who resent unexpectedly losing the desired cost advantage by paying multiple hazmat fees on partial orders.

This thread is proof of that. Graf's, are you paying attention? Since you already have the money, you are not losing anything by holding partial orders. Too busy to bother? Well, with that attitude, the "busy" problem will eventually solve itself.

SL1
Old September 29, 2009, 08:22 AM   #27
freakshow10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalacustom
^^^^ Spoken like a true businessman...
So is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Old September 29, 2009, 08:31 AM   #28
freakshow10mm

Quote:
I think any business that thinks it is "not hurting itself" when it discourages or annoys customers is eventually going to learn otherwise the hard way.
To some extent I agree. You can't please every customer though. A certain percentage will always be a pain and I'd rather not have their business as it costs me money to deal with them instead of making me money. The size of a business is also a factor. Size doesn't make you immune but can be a protective barrier to your bottom line. Search the different forums for complaints about MidwayUSA. There are thousands of them with hundreds of views each and they don't seem to really impact MidwayUSA much if at all.

I ran a GB on Double Star lowers last fall here, THR, and GP. I went factory direct as when I tried to buy 5 DS lowers from them, they pulled this legal crap on me stating every firearm sold in MI has to have a lock. I told them yes, at RETAIL that is the case, but this is wholesale which is exempt from the law. They still wouldn't sell to me. So I went factory direct, but ran a group buy so I could get help with buying power to get to my price point. Then when that was done I mailed a copy of the invoice totaling over $13,000 (the GB got out of hand, I was aiming for 25 units, 5 for me, and ended up with a couple hundred). They sent a letter back stating they were sorry to hear of my distaste in their policy and sent me a $20 off coupon. I had to poop so that's what I used to wipe with. Apparently they can afford to shove off a $13,000 sale and not even worry about it or the impact of future sales they are discouraging. I haven't bought from MidwayUSA in a year.
Old September 29, 2009, 08:58 AM   #29
A_Gamehog

Powder valley has CCI # 41 Primers in stock

CCI #41 5.56MM MILITARY PRIMERS (1000)

http://powdervalleyinc.com/

I have not seen these in stock in over a year!