The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 1999, 12:21 PM   #1
45 Fan

Hi to All:
I am looking to purchase a chronograph and was wondering if anyone on the list has had any experience with the CED Millenium listed in the Dillon catalog? Thanks in advance to all who reply........45 Fan
Old September 7, 1999, 11:59 PM   #2
capbuster

i also have been considering buying
a chronograph and have recieved good
reports on the pact,chrony,and
oheler(sp)i also noticed the ced in
the dillon catalog.no report was
received on it. i do know from past
experience that dillon sells high
quality stuff.perhaps another
shooter can shed some light on your
question,good luck.

------------------

cliff
Old September 8, 1999, 05:56 PM   #3
Big Bunny

I have an F1 Chrony(Canadian) and it works fine and is reasonably priced too. I can recommend it for casual use and checking loads.

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old September 8, 1999, 06:43 PM   #4
Paul B.

Big Bunny. I second that. I have one too, and it works well.
Paul B.
Old September 8, 1999, 08:37 PM   #5
Pigboy

Another vote for Shooting Chrony here. I've used them for about 10 years and they are flawless. They're very good about rebuilding them if it gets shot (so I here). And besides, they're Canadian made, they have to be good.
Old September 10, 1999, 09:40 PM   #6
Gale

I too have a F-1 chrono and if the sun is bright I have to put a piece of cardboard over the diffusers or it will not give and a reading except error. Anyone else have that trouble? But the price is certainly right on the machine.
Old September 11, 1999, 06:29 AM   #7
HankL

Gale, What you describe is not uncommon with any chrono that employs sky screens. I use an Ohler 33 and on bright clear days this is just something else to contend with.
Hank
Old September 11, 1999, 05:01 PM   #8
Paul B.

Gale. I too have that problem with my F-1. I got the little plastic thingies they sell to alleviate the problem, but muzzle blast from magnum rifles makes short wort of them. Theyn are so damn expensive for what you get, that mine are now more tape than plastic. Still work though.
From what I have read in an article by Dr. Oehler, all chronographs suffer from bright sunlight.
Tell me. How did you arrange that cardboard? Just poke it through the guide rods, or what. Inquiring minds (mine) want to know. Actually, I have thought about it, but just haven't figured out a way to make it look neat, as in tidy. Paint it white? Maybe????
Paul B.
Old September 13, 1999, 09:56 AM   #9
GuyM

I found the problem with the F1 Chrony to be the sun hitting the sensors; not so much what was directly over the sensors. Even with the sun lower in the sky such as around 5PM this time of year, if the sun hits the sensors I got error readings. The problem was solved by shading the sensors. I found I do not have to use the skyscreens or put anything directly over the unit as long as the sensors are in the shade.

For indoor use a spotlight directed on a white ceiling directly above the unit works great, again no skyscreens needed.
Old September 13, 1999, 12:12 PM   #10
Cheapo

I use a PACT with great results almost all of the time. Got absurdly high results once when shooting with my back to the sun, but analyzed the situation and decided it was reading the propellant gas cloud racing ahead of the bullet, and/or diffuser screen shake.

Try this: turn the thing upside down and shoot under it. Light from the ground is often enough to operate the thing (especially in my area, with tan dirt all over), and it makes it FAR easier to avoid shooting the thing. Never done it myself, but two friends have...
Old September 15, 1999, 08:48 PM   #11
ga41

I have had a CED chronograph since Christmas 98 thanks to my wife. It does everything it is supposed to and does it well. Turn it off, go home,turn it back on, it will speak and give you the readings, Probably does too much for folks like me !