The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 2, 2017, 11:16 AM   #51
Dave T

Quote:
Quote:[DO tell us if you have any ignition issues with the bobbed hammer...it's been known to happen..]

I say poppy-cock to that. My opinion is the ignition issues come from folks playing with the spring tension screw after bobbing a hammer. Every revolver I have with the exception of the wife's Model 60 and my Python ALL have bobbed hammers and not one of them have ignition problems. When I bobbed the hammer on my 10-7 snubbie the difference in weight was 3.5 GRAINS. Not very significant with regards to weight. Again in my opinion if 3.5 grains is going to cause ignition problems then I would look elsewhere for something else going on.
Ditto and +1 to Don P's comment above. If this forum had a "Like" function I would have clicked on it.

I too have bobbed a number of hammers on older Smiths (non-MIM stuff, only forged hammers). I have never experienced ignition problems from simply cutting off the hammer spur. However, I would expect this from modern S&Ws as I have had ignition problems with them, even with hammer spurs intact.

Dave
Old May 2, 2017, 06:37 PM   #52
Mr.RevolverGuy

So far I have fired factory and reloads. Reloads were with CCI primers and so far 100% reliability.
Old May 3, 2017, 04:38 AM   #53
CajunBass

I bought a used Model 36 not too long ago that came with a bobbed hammer, and I had enough ignition issues with it (reloads with CCI primers) that I took it back and got a refund from the dealer. The strain screw was tight, but I have no idea what if anything else may have been done to the gun before I got it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 3, 2017, 06:26 AM   #54
Mike Irwin
Staff

As an absolute, 100% dyed in the wool S&W purist I say...

Meh.

You see, you altered a soulless steel gun.

And EVERY S&W purist knows that the ONLY pure S&W guns worth a damn are blue steel.

I get sweaty at the thought of altering a blued S&W.

Soulless steel? I have a dull wood rasp and a rusty hacksaw around here somewhere. That's good enough to do the alterations.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 4, 2017, 06:33 AM   #55
jetinteriorguy

I'm with you Mike, I too think the most beautiful guns are blued. But, for just beating the crap out of and shooting all the time, I prefer my model 67. The one I have has the best trigger of all my guns and for me it's just the most accurate gun I shoot. It always goes to the range with me. Plus I kind of like the patina it gets when it gets kind of dirty looking, gives it an all business kind of look.
Old May 4, 2017, 07:24 AM   #56
Mike Irwin
Staff

Oh, don't get me wrong. I recognize the incredible utility of a shiny silver gun, be it souless steel, nickel plated, or chromed.

I have no affinity for silver guns, although a dull gray/pewter look certainly makes them more appealing, and far less objectionable, to me.

Which is probably why I really like my S&W 4506-1 and also the EAA Witness 10mm I had for awhile (before I sold it to another Mod here).

Given how hot and humid it is here in the DC metro much of the year I've often thought that getting an S&W Model 60 or something similar would be a good idea.

But, I just can't bring myself to carry such a gun.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:47 AM   #57
Real Gun

Nickel-plated would serve in a sweaty environment and be just as old-time as a blued gun. I like bling but have nice blued Blackhawks too.