The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 2014, 11:46 PM   #26
abrice

i WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO THAT LAST POST. When I did hit the target, it was not consistent from shot to shot, and the holes in the 1/8" thick aluminum target backing were oblong, pretty close to the same shape as the bullet, as if it was hitting the target sideways, in a tumble. This kinda' adds to my idea of the projectile slightly hitting the muzzle brake on the way out the barrel. Any thoughts?
Old July 11, 2014, 04:47 PM   #27
kilimanjaro

I'm suspecting muzzle jump, but take that boy to a smith and it checked for bent barrel or muzzle break alignment. Maybe reaming the break will work, may need replacement. If this is a new rifle, get on the horn to the factory. Wouldn't hurt to call them even if used.
Old July 12, 2014, 12:08 AM   #28
abrice

Yes! I just looked a bit harder down the brake, you can actually SEE the misalignment of the brake! Got online, ordered a .525 reamer.......gonna try it myself, as this is a used gun. What the hell? Can't really HURT it, right? Also, checked out the barrel crown, and it totally SUCKS! Very choppy, inconsistent. I think I will also try to fix this myself, then if it still sucks, take it to a smith. A light touch with the tools is better than a heavy hand on the wallet, right?
Old July 12, 2014, 12:09 AM   #29
abrice

Do you think Watson Weapons is still in business?
Old July 12, 2014, 12:32 AM   #30
skizzums

sorry to hear about your troubles, that's sure disappointing on the first trip with a rifle you have obviously seriously invested in. couldn't you just try shooting w/o the muzzle brake until you get it right? I dunno, I have never shot a BMG, so I don't know how important a brake is.
Old July 12, 2014, 11:02 AM   #31
kilimanjaro

The brake is important!
Old July 31, 2014, 07:48 PM   #32
abrice

Ok........had the barrel re-crowned to 11 degrees, took it out again, and shot without the brake. It is now quite a bit more accurate, it leaves round holes in the target, and yes, it has a LOT more recoil. My buddy has quite a head wound from the scope to prove it! Anyways, got the brake reamed out to .535" now, but have not tried it again. Will keep you guys posted.
Old July 31, 2014, 10:59 PM   #33
kilimanjaro

Pretty smart, having your buddy shoot it without the brake !
One stitch, one beer. Two stitches, two beers....
Old August 1, 2014, 06:45 AM   #34
mdmtj

Quote:
Do you think Watson Weapons is still in business?

http://www.watsonsfirearms.com/65.html