The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 2014, 06:22 AM   #1
WVBassFan

To Tumble or Not to Tumble???

I've been pan-lubing my bullets for some time now and it's working really well but it takes entirely too much time... I've changed methods a few times to reduce some time but it still is way too slow and messy...I am considering tumble lube on my new 9mm setup... I'm purchasing another 9mm mold so I need to make this decision now... any suggestions ? comments? past experiences that might help...I'll be shooting through a M&P Pro 5" 9mm... 124 grain (if thats the mold I buy) I feel I could shoot alot more rounds if I tumble lube but worry about the barrel ...
Old July 20, 2014, 10:43 AM   #2
mikld

Well, kinda a side thought, but I have tumble lubed standard lube groove bullets successfully. So, I'd say you don't have to use a T/L design bullet to tumble lube, so your choice of molds is wide open. My 9mm gets a Lee 125 gr., RNFP and I've tumble lubed, pan lubed, and PC coated this bullet and size it for my 9mm, .38 Specials, and .357 Magnum.

I really like 45-45-10 as a tumble and dip lube. It works and even though it's "mess" quality is comparable to alox, it smells better, and just a little bit is all that's needed.

Great folks to deal with, good shipping and excellent prices http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?m...products_id=31
Old July 20, 2014, 12:56 PM   #3
oldpapps

WVBassFan,

If 'it' ain't broke, don't be fix'en 'it'.

Sounds like not broken but slow is the driving point.
If the bullet 'fits' properly, speeds aren't too high and a suitable lube is used, leading will not be a problem. Wear/damage to the bore with lead bullets is minimal. I would say that vigorous cleaning with a brush (or ChoreBoy) causes way more damage.

We come back to time utilization and larger production.
Sizing comes in to play with this in most situations. A 'luber/sizer' tool is fast(er) as it does two step at the same time but has a cost factor. Pan lubing is as you have stated on the slower end and sizing time adds more. The spray/tumble process is faster than pan but sizing still may be needed.
What to do? That is up to you. But, think about 'powder coating' as an option.
What do I do? I'm old and don't like to stand for very long. I buy my pistol bullets (.40s, .45s and most .44s). Yet I do 'powder coat' a small number of .44s (and several cast rifle bullets).

If 'tumble' lubing does what you want with the needed volume, go for it.

Enjoy,

OSOK

edit to correct word: that to than.

Last edited by oldpapps; July 21, 2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old July 20, 2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

I would suggest powder coating.
Old July 21, 2014, 05:14 AM   #5
WVBassFan

I already size my cast bullets anyway... after casting I lube them...size them...and load them... the panlube process is slow and I will probably continue that for my .45 ACP loads but thinking I will be shooting at a much higher volume with my 9mm so looking for a more efficient and less expensive way... I see that many people on the internet ( if it's on the internet it must be true) tumble lube with success so I think I'm going to give it a try...
Old July 21, 2014, 10:16 AM   #6
chris in va

I use Johnson Paste wax, Lee ALOX and a bit of mineral spirits. Under a fan on a baking sheet it dries in a couple hours. Don't use too much!

BTW you'll want to cast, size and lube...in that order.
Old July 24, 2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Freeloader Reloader

Tumble Lube

I always tumble lube my cast bullets, whether they are of the TL design or not. I find it makes no real difference. After casting, I tumble lube, then resize, then lightly tumble lube again. I set them on a piece of wax paper to air-dry overnight and then put them in a mason jar until I am ready to load them. One other step I take is to test the hardness with a Lee Hardness Testing kit. I then write all the hardness info down on a label on top of the jar, roll up a piece of tape and stick the bullet I used for the test right on top of the jar. Between that and the load data I keep track of in a program on my PC, I have all the info I need readily at hand. Not only about cast bullets but about my load as well. Takes a little time but what else do I have to do?
Old July 27, 2014, 02:43 AM   #8
Sergeant

Tumble Lube Drying

I have not experienced any difference between tumble lubing cast bullets whither there designed for TL or not. Does not take to long to TL and just lay them hap hazard on wax paper for drying. It is a bit messy though. I use to set them right side up, but when your doing a large run, setting every one up take a whole lot of extra time. So I tried just laying them out how they fell and it does not seem to effect performance at all.
Old July 27, 2014, 07:18 AM   #9
LE-28

I have a question, if the bullets are no more than .002" over bore size, is it necessary to resize bullets that come from a tumble lube mold?
Old July 27, 2014, 12:58 PM   #10
oldpapps

Necessary, no desirable, yes. Consistency is the end results.

I have cast, hand rubbed lube into the grease groves and shot way too many .38s and 9MMs to ever claim sizing is 'necessary'. But that was then and this is now. I have improved my ways in the last 45 years. I haven't shot a .38 in something around 25 years. I guess I could hand rub 44s

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old July 29, 2014, 03:13 AM   #11
Sergeant

I concur. For consistency, it's best to resize. Before I had resizing dies I measured my cast bullets and tossed rejects back into the melting pot.
Old July 30, 2014, 04:29 AM   #12
Mike / Tx

I use the 45/45/10 lube for tumble lubing about 85% of all my cast bullets. Originally I used my own blend, which is posted up on Castboolits in the lube section, but when that ran low I ordered a jug from White Label. I ave noted no difference using it over my own blend, other than it was MUCH easier to buy than to make.

I have run it in plenty of load ranging form the slower 700'ish fps ones up into the full magnum 1300+ range with no issues what so ever. The key is fit first then lube.

One thing that REALLY helps out with the liquid Alox type lubes, is to use a hair drier to warm up your bullets really good before applying the 45/45/10 lube. This will do two things, first it will thin out the lube letting it go further, and second it will allow it to dry in about 5-10 minutes rather than an hour or so.

I use a vacuum seal bag to tumble mine in. It is strong enough to hold up to the heat from the hair drier and has held up real well to the Alox and mineral spirits as well. I usually do anywhere from 50-100 at a time. Just put the bullets in, blow the hot air into the bag until they feel good and warm, apply a little lube and gently roll them around until they all look coated. Then pour them out on a pan with wax paper or onto a paper plate to dry, while I setup the sizer.