The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2014, 05:53 AM   #1
LE-28

is it possible to ruin lead alloy

I had wheel weight lead alloy I have been shooting out of one of my revolvers and it shot beautifully and I had no leading in my barrel at all, even after 100 rounds. I was using a tumble lube mold from Lee and Liquid Alox.
A while back I melted down more lead and alloyed it all together into one batch.

I melted down about 500 Missouri bullets and about 3/4 of a bag of 25year old Winchester OO buck pellets and about 30 lbs of my WW alloy together

Now I can't shoot 50 rounds without having to dig it out of my barrel with a machinist pick. The leading is really flacky and come out of my barrel in specks and flakes.

Did I ruin my ally with the OO buck pellets, could they have been bismuth or something?

Any ideas on recouping the good lead or changing it so it will work again?
Old July 27, 2014, 06:10 AM   #2
243winxb

Has the diameter of the bullets changed? The shot may have made bullets softer & smaller in diameter. Adding more antimony (wheel weighrs) will increase diameter & hardness.
Old July 27, 2014, 06:28 AM   #3
LE-28

Actually the 500 18brn hardness 357mag bullets I melted in seemed to harden my alloy despite the buck shot. The buckshot melted like soft lead and the bullets I cast look fantastic and they cast like a dream.
The alloy is fairly hard but if I really bear down on it I can still mark it with my fingernail.
The most of the leading is in the last inch of a 3"barrel. I thought I was driving them to fast and stripping them in the rifling so I decreased my charge a little to see and the leading got worse in my opinion.

Could it be I need to up my charge a little due to a little increase hardness?
Old July 27, 2014, 06:33 AM   #4
LE-28

I'm using the same mold, the diameter is right there where it should be, .002" over bore. I slugged my barrel with the original alloy and it was perfect.

Nothing has changed except re-alloying the mix with the buckshot and MBC hard cast. I thought they would cancel each other out.
Old July 27, 2014, 06:41 AM   #5
243winxb

I like your idea. Increase the powder charge. Load data may help us help you. Leading at muzzle would seem like not enough lube??
Old July 27, 2014, 07:02 AM   #6
LE-28

Quote:
Leading at muzzle would seem like not enough lube??
I like that idea, I can fix that.

I'm using a .327federal magnum, 3 1/16" barrel, SP101, and started out with 5gr of universal with Lee tumble mold 90gr SWCs. I had extremely accurate loads. About half the recoil of full house magnums and it was a blast to shoot.

I did cut back on the liquid alox due to getting it all over case and making them sticky. I can still see and feel it on there but it's not that noticeable now to the eyes.

After I got the leading problem I went to 5 gr of 231 which has softer recoil, and less of a report. I tried both of these loads with the old alloy and both were spot on as far as accuracy goes and caused no problems with leading.
I was also trying to cut down on the smoke at the indoor range I shoot at.

This does make sense.
With the alloy a little harder would I want to still up my load a little and add more allox to the bullets, or just try more allox to start with?
Old July 27, 2014, 07:10 AM   #7
243winxb

Try only 1 change at a time. Lube first, is what i would try. Good luck.
Old July 27, 2014, 07:20 AM   #8
LE-28

I was going to do that anyways to try to isolate and separate what's causing the problem.

Thank you.
Old July 27, 2014, 10:49 AM   #9
mikld

Another thought; perhaps alox isn't "compatible" with your "new" alloy. I have been using 45-45-10 (home made and available at White Label Lubes) on some of my tumble lube design bullets in a .44 magnum. Works for me at 1200 fps, guesstamate...
Old July 27, 2014, 11:49 AM   #10
YARDDOG(1)

"I was going to do that anyways to try to isolate and separate what's causing the problem."

With the last inch of the barrel leading,, Your on the right track with using more lube.. That would be my first guess ; )
Y/D