The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 2, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1
D_Anton

Any laws for transporting a handgun in Texas?

First off, i'm 18. I recently purchased a Smith & Wesson 5906 and i'm very eager to take it to the range. I want to know if there are any laws for transporting it to/from. Do I need to have it in the back seat of my truck? Does it need to be unloaded while in my vehicle? If stopped by an LEO can my firearm be taken away. (I am new to firearms and a complete stranger to firearms laws) Thank You.
Old July 2, 2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Crankgrinder

Having a gun in the car with you is legal in Texas provided 3 chriteria are met 1. it is concealed at all times 2, you are not involved in any criminal activity, and 3, youare not a known member of any street gang. ( 4. you have no felonies). Now in Texas one must be 21 to purchase a handgun 18 for a rifle or shotgun i dont know how itll go being 18 with a pistol that might be the sticky part, then again there are heirlooms, hand me downs and such.
Old July 2, 2012, 10:26 PM   #3
dogtown tom

Quote:
D_Anton First off, i'm 18. I recently purchased a Smith & Wesson 5906 and i'm very eager to take it to the range. I want to know if there are any laws for transporting it to/from. Do I need to have it in the back seat of my truck? Does it need to be unloaded while in my vehicle? If stopped by an LEO can my firearm be taken away. (I am new to firearms and a complete stranger to firearms laws) Thank You.

This is a very good summary of Texas gun laws:
http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=686

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE